Author Topic: Archaeologists discover Thor's Hammer amulet at previously unexplored site in S. Iceland  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Suppressed

Archaeologists discover Thor's Hammer amulet at previously unexplored site in S. Iceland
BY STAFF | OCT 12 2018

[...]

The site was discovered by a local who directed the archeologists to the location. During the registration the archeologists found four objects lying in the surface soil: A whet, an iron pick, a buckle and a small stone amulet in the shape of Thor's Hammer.

The find is particularly important because this is the first Thor's Hammer carved out of stone to be found in Iceland. The item, which is believed to have been an amulet, worn around the neck, is carved out of sandstone. The items will now be analyzed, hopefully shedding further information about their age and origins.

https://icelandmag.is/article/archaeologists-discover-thors-hammer-amulet-previously-unexplored-site-s-iceland
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Archaeologists discover Thor's Hammer

It's smaller than I thought it would be.

****drummer
Let it burn.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
It's smaller than I thought it would be.

****drummer

Mjolnir was one of three gifts made for Thor by the dwarves, and could hide inside his shirt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mj%C3%B6lnir

"The final product is then presented to Thor, and its properties are described, as follows,

Then he gave the hammer to Thor, and said that Thor might smite as hard as he desired, whatsoever might be before him, and the hammer would not fail; and if he threw it at anything, it would never miss, and never fly so far as not to return to his hand; and if be desired, he might keep it in his sark, it was so small; but indeed it was a flaw in the hammer that the fore-haft was somewhat short. (Original: Þá gaf hann Þór hamarinn ok sagði, at hann myndi mega ljósta svá stórt sem hann vildi, hvat sem fyrir væri, at eigi myndi hamarrinn bila, ok ef hann yrpi honum til, þá myndi hann aldri missa ok aldri fljúga svá langt, at eigi myndi hann sækja heim hönd, ok ef þat vildi, þá var hann svá lítill, at hafa mátti serk sér. En þat var lýi á, ar forskeftit var heldr skammt.)
    — The Prose Edda, translated by Arthur Gilchrist Brodeur (1916)."

The other 2 were Járngreipr: (Iron gripper) a glove to hold the hammer. When Thor's anger waxed the hammer grew white hot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A1rngreipr

And Megingjörð (Power Belt) which doubled Thor's already immense strength.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megingj%C3%B6r%C3%B0

Not a fanciful idea.

Check the belt.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
No one knows more about Vikings than @To-Whose-Benefit?

Thanks!  ***cool cat*** ***cool cat***

• Wulf Anson Author
No one knows more about Vikings than @To-Whose-Benefit?

Thanks!  ***cool cat*** ***cool cat***

You're too kind.

And I'm sorry I forgot to thank you for the ping!
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
You're too kind.

And I'm sorry I forgot to thank you for the ping!

@Suppressed pinged you too. He’s good with remembering things that interest people. Like kitties and astronomy and Waffle Houses.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

• Wulf Anson Author
The hammer is especially interesting.

Swords have always been expensive. Not everyone owned them.

But even the lowliest slave on the farm could get his hands on a hammer.

Vikings didn't use saws. They split the tree into planks where it fell with iron wedges and long handled heavy mallets.

You can imagine what getting hit with one of those would do to an enemy.