Author Topic: ALCS Game Four: Benintendi takes a dive, saves the Red Sox  (Read 1836 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
ALCS Game Four: Benintendi takes a dive, saves the Red Sox
« on: October 18, 2018, 07:35:45 pm »
By Yours Truly

Craig Kimbrel seems to have developed the habit of making things a little too hair-raising in the ninth inning lately. It’s a habit that could have put the Red Sox up against a pair of elimination games before getting the American League Championship Series back to Fenway Park.

It’s a habit Red Sox left fielder Andrew Benintendi sent a powerful message on behalf of breaking, and fast enough. Especially with Alex Bregman, the Astros’ arguable most clutch hitter of late, checking in at the plate, with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth.

Kimbrel served Bregman something that was so meaty an Astros kangaroo court might have fined their third baseman if he kept his bat on his shoulder. Especially with Benintendi playing him almost against the warning track in front of the left field scoreboard. And sure enough, Bregman swung.

He hit it right on the meat but not as hard as it looked. On a medium-low line into left that began to sink at the right spot to fall in for a game-tying hit at minimum. On any other night it hits the grass and hops away, maybe even enough to win the game.

Except that Benintendi pumped his gas pedal on contact. He shot in with all cylinders firing, dove like he was Michael Phelps hitting the water for yet another gold medal, and snapped the ball into his glove about a second before it would have hit the grass, his glove arm extended full length, landing on his belly and sliding about four feet before coming up howling in triumph.

Carlos Correa was on second cheating toward third when Bregman swung. “I was just trying to score,” he said after the Olde Towne Team went up 3-1 in this ALCS. “And then I just heard the fans go, ‘Ahhh’.”

In that “Ahhh” moment, the “ahhh” being the moment Correa knew Benintendi had the ball and the game in his glove, Benintendi was Willie Mays in the 1954 Polo Grounds, Sandy Amoros in Game Seven of the 1955 World Series in Yankee Stadium, and the Flying Wallendas Mets outfield of the 1969 World Series in Shea Stadium.

“I thought I got a good jump on it,” Benintendi said after he saved the Red Sox’s 8-6 win with maybe the single most important play of their season to date. “It wasn’t hit really hard. I thought I could catch it. I timed it up well. I definitely knew it was do or die. I wouldn’t have [dived] if I knew there was any chance it would’ve bounced. It was close.”

“If that gets by him,” said Astros backup catcher Brian McCann, “it’s trouble. Hats off to him. He made a great play.”

An inning before that, Red Sox right fielder Mookie Betts looked like he’d made the defensive play of the game, when he fielded Tony Kemp’s base hit and fired right through the bull’s eye to nail Kemp trying to stretch it into a double. Only nobody but Red Sox Nation was going to give him his props for the play, considering he’d spent every inning since the first as Houston’s Public Enemy Number Two.

The evening’s right field umpire, Joe West, had the number one slot after his first inning ruling in which Betts played the co-starring role. The other co-star was Jose Altuve, the Astros second baseman who’s unashamed of playing the game as though he’s still a happy hungering Venezuelan kid.

Altuve batted with Astros center fielder George Springer aboard on a one-out single. Red Sox starter Rick Porcello threw him a four-seam fastball on 2-1. Altuve drove it parabolically toward the right field seats. Betts drew a bead on the drive and ran back to the fence and leaped. He snapped his glove closed without the ball he was sure he would catch in it.

“When he jumped up to reach for the ball,” West said after the game, “the spectator reached out and hit him over the playing field and closed his glove . . . Here’s the whole play. [Altuve] hit the ball to right field. He jumped up to try to make a catch. The fan interfered with him over the playing field. That’s why I called spectator interference.”

Betts himself said he felt something happen when he jumped. “I felt like somebody was kind of pushing my glove out of the way or something,” said Betts after the game, having a reputation equal to Altuve’s for speaking honestly. “I got to see a little bit of the replay. I guess they were going to catch the ball and pushed my glove out of the way.”

The fan who most likely made any contact with Betts’s glove, Jared Thomanek, could only be sure he had competition among four other fans for who would end up catching Altuve’s likely home run. “The ball was coming hard,” Thomanek said. “We wanted to catch it.”

Altuve himself was gracious about the call and the fan in question. “I don’t have anything against him,” the ebullient second baseman said after the game. “He’s another Astros fan rooting for us. Appreciate he was trying to help me.” The Yankees probably felt that way about Jeffrey Maier succeeding in helping Derek Jeter to a home run in Game One of the 1996 ALCS.

Assorted available television replay angles didn’t conclude anything one or the other way. Let it be said that West has his critics, and scores of them, including this writer, but Game Three analysis showed West behind the plate for the game missed only one pitch all night. There’s plenty of evidence that West likes to make games about himself, but nothing truly concluded that that was the case for Game Four.

It’s going to be one play analysed to death whenever Houston baseball is opened to debate in the future, especially if the Astros don’t pick themselves up, dust themselves off, start all over again, and remind themselves of plenty enough other Game Four opportunities lost.

They’d tied the game in the third when Springer leading off ripped Porcello’s first pitch into the right field seats and—two outs after Altuve doubled to the back of left field—Josh Reddick sent Altuve home with a quail into short center. And they took a 4-3 lead in the fourth when Kemp with one out sent an 0-1 slider not far from where Springer’s third-inning bomb ended up. They also re-took the lead, 5-4, in the fifth, when Carlos Correa singled to left to send home Yuli Gurriel, who’d doubled with one out to start the inning.

But the Red Sox cashed in more and better. The Astros were slick at scoring with two outs; the Red Sox were better more often. Except for shortstop Xander Bogaerts’s RBI double to left scoring Benintendi in the third, every Red Sox run came home with two outs.

There was third baseman Rafael Devers’s two-run single in the first to Bogaert’s RBI single (again scoring Benintendi) in the fifth to re-tire the game; from Jackie Bradley, Jr., whose name was probably mud already in Houston off that Game Three salami, hitting a two-run homer in the sixth, to Brock Holt walking with the bases loaded in the seventh and J.D Martinez driving in Betts with a single up the pipe in the eighth.

Bradley’s bomb followed a play that could have been and one Springer probably wishes he had back. With Astros reliever Josh James on the mound, Springer ran down Red Sox catcher Christian Vasquez’s tracer to the right center field wall, and just missed grabbing the ball, leaving Vasquez with a double. Up stepped Bradley and, on James’s next pitch, Bradley sent a monstrous drive into the right field seats.

The Astros had enough reason to be a little on edge going into Game Four. Starter Charlie Morton hadn’t pitched in what seemed a small eternity—his last sighting on the mound was 30 September—and  he was chased in the third. They have more reason to be a little on the edgy side after their remarkable bullpen got punctured for five of the Red Sox’s eight Game Four runs while the Red Sox bullpen, considered so suspect before the series began, has mostly pitched almost equal to the Astro pen when it matters the most.

And if the Red Sox figure out how to handle and overcome Justin Verlander starting Game Five, the Astros’ success in defending their 2017 World Series championship will go back to Fenway Park hanging by a slender enough thread. The numbers are in their favour—Verlander has a 1.21 ERA in five career postseason elimination games, and he has 24 scoreless innings over his last three elimination game starts.

“When Verlander’s on the mound,” Correa said, “we feel like we’re going to win the game.” They’ll need to act on that feeling to survive. The Red Sox will have to find a way to puncture that invincibility if they want to end the ALCS earlier than was expected of either team when it began.

They may even need Benintendi to channel his inner man on the flying trapeze again.
----------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@AllThatJazzZ
@Applewood
@AmericanaPrime
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@Freya
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@TomSea
@truth_seeker
@WarmPotato

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: ALCS Game Four: Benintendi takes a dive, saves the Red Sox
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 08:11:36 pm »
On the matter of Altuve's HR and West.....

Well....  I just leave it as we'll have to agree to disagree.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 08:39:46 pm »
On the matter of Altuve's HR and West.....

Well....  I just leave it as we'll have to agree to disagree.
Fair enough.

I saw about fifteen different TV replays of the play and I'd have had a hard time making a field call on it. Largely because the one angle that would have secured it one way or the other would have been a camera training straight across that part of the park, straight over the edge of the fence, where you could see for dead last certain whether the fan's hand actually did touch Betts's glove or not.

But ponder, too--the Astros had plenty of other scoring opportunities in the game other than the six runs they did send home, and before Andrew Benintendi took his game-ending dive. Right after the Altuve interference call, Springer was still on base and Marwin Gonzalez got hit by a pitch to set up first and second but Yuli Gurriel flied out to right. Their other missed chances:

* After Carlos Correa singled home Josh Reddick in the second, it was a bunt pop out, a swinging strikeout, and a ground out to second.

* After they tied it at three in the third, Correa struck out swinging for the side with Reddick still on first.

* After Tony Kemp's homer in the fourth, George Springer drew a two-out walk and got second when Rick Porcello tried to pick him off first but threw wild, but Altuve popped out to first on a pitch he usually slashes for a hit. A well-placed base hit might have made it 5-4, Astros at that point instead of leaving it 4-3.

* Martin Maldonado grounded out to end the fifth stranding Correa, who'd just singled home Gurriel to make it 5-4, Astros, after all.

* With the Red Sox up 6-5 on Jackie Bradley, Jr.'s moonshot homer, Kemp drew a leadoff walk in the bottom of the sixth. Alex Bregman flied out, then Springer and Altuve hit into back-to-back forceouts to end it.

* After the Red Sox went up 7-5 on the bases-loaded walk to Brock Holt in the top of the seventh, Gonzalez led off with a base hit but Gurriel and Reddick both flied out to right. Correa doubled to set up second and third, the Red Sox brought in Matt Barnes, and pinch hitter Tyler White struck out looking.

* They got one in the eighth after Kemp was thrown out trying to stretch a single to a double, when Alex Bregman got plunked, Springer doubled him to third, and he scored on Altuve's ground out. Springer stole third but Gonzalez struck out swinging.

It'd be too easy to look at the two-run difference in the final score and blame the Altuve interference call for losing the game, but the Astros didn't lack for other opportunities to win the game. And the Bregman soft liner that Benintendi went Willie Mays on missed being a game-winning hit by a step. I noticed outfielders on both sides during the game struggling a little bit with the visibility. Even Springer looked like he had a moment of trouble with it before he just missed making that catch on Christian Vasquez's double, and it's Springer's home park, and he's made plays like that during naptime in the past. One false step or visibility miss and Bentinendi would have dived for a ball skipping just past him, and three runs would have come home.

The entire game really came down to who hit better and more profitably with two outs (before the series I'd have told you both teams would have been equally deadly hitting with two outs), whose bullpen held the dam better, and--when Red Sox closer Craig Kimbrel went yet again into hair-raising mode in the ninth--Benintendi making maybe the catch of the season. If Kimbrel is any kind of gentleman, he'd make sure Benintendi has a full year's supply of steak for that one.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:41:15 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 08:52:42 pm »
Have a real problem with pulling the starter in the 1st inning...unless the pitcher knew that he was just a pawn in a major play.

How in the hell could the guy ever pick up the ball again, after being yanked on the world stage after 5 pitches.

I mean...W. T. F.  ??   :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 09:04:42 pm »
@EasyAce

You make really great arguments, and there is no excuse for the Astros not to overcome the adversity. And the point of the Altuve HR, the replay shows very strong evidence that the fan did not breach the line of demarcation (stands), as he does not bend over or make an effort to do so.  While maybe not as photgraphically evident, even with Bettis' admittance, he reached over the stands to try to catch the ball. Baseball rules state that once that line is crossed, the ball is fair game for either the fans or player.

Still....   playing devil's advocate, is there 100% refutable proof with MLB's tools, that this did not happen?  Probably not.

Which brings me to my next point of contention.   With the importance of these games, why doesn't MLB have cameras configured along the periphery of the stands to prevent what I call "field of vision" mistakes.    In any case, Altuve and the team were robbed, and it probably cost them the series.

And I'll just leave it at that.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 09:15:23 pm »
Have a real problem with pulling the starter in the 1st inning...unless the pitcher knew that he was just a pawn in a major play.

How in the hell could the guy ever pick up the ball again, after being yanked on the world stage after 5 pitches.

I mean...W. T. F.  ??   :shrug:
@DCPatriot
If you mean Wade Miley for the Brewers, that was his manager's brilliant idea. And he was obviously all in with his manager's decision. Miley will start Game Six for the Brewers, and I can't see Counsell hooking him too early absent big early game trouble, since I'm pretty sure he wants as fresh a pen as he can get if it goes to a Game Seven.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 09:16:05 pm »
@EasyAce
@catfish1957

I'm still too raw from that call last night to even be able to enjoy reading this piece. Sorry, friend. I'll have to try again later. I can't get past the part where Altuve (plus the Astros team plus the fans) gets robbed.*

I watched the post-game show, and, to a man, the commentary guys said it was an obvious homerun. I don’t know their names or their history with the game of baseball. I do know that the guy on the end on the right was openly pulling for Boston. Yet, they all knew that Altuve got robbed. But the thing that resonated the most for me was when one guy articulated my exact thoughts from the first time I heard about what it takes to overturn a call. This is from the guy who was sitting second from the left:

This is a way bigger problem. The fans know this and people covering the game watching. This conclusive/inconclusive nonsense has got to stop. No one cares what was called on the field. We want the call right. If you’re going to up go to New York for the answer from Major League Baseball and everybody to be “well, it wasn’t conclusive to overturn the call,” why the heck do I care what the call was on the field when the only thing that should matter is getting it right?

Amen, Mr. Baseball Commentator. Amen!

*Just to be clear. I can take a loss. I just can't take being cheated out of a possible victory. There's a difference. Even if the 'Stros had come back to win, I'd still be pissed.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 09:30:17 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

Good thing, you weren't a fan in the days before play review.

Umpires calls on the field stood, no matter how awful they were.  I know a lot of purist, including me sometimes dislike the interuption in the game, but overall it corrects 90%+ of the missed calls.

And as far as our team, the real champions are the ones who can excel despite adversity.  We caught a bad break this time. Maybe someday the baseball gods will return the favor next.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 09:43:42 pm »
With the importance of these games, why doesn't MLB have cameras configured along the periphery of the stands to prevent what I call "field of vision" mistakes.    In any case, Altuve and the team were robbed, and it probably cost them the series.

And I'll just leave it at that.
Your question is an excellent one.

As for your second statement there, if the play had happened in the latest innings, you could say the Astros were robbed. There's more case to say the 1985 Cardinals were robbed by Don Denkinger's blown call at first base in the bottom of the ninth in Game Six of that World Series---that would have been the first of the three outs they needed to nail the Series. A first-inning interference call, whether the call was right or the call was wrong, isn't exactly the same as robbing a game, especially when you factor in the opportunities the Astros had as the game went on and didn't cash in. But it would be wise to adjust the rule book accordingly, maybe a clause saying, as one writer has suggested, No interference shall be allowed when a fielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand to catch a ball. He does so at his own risk. Or, something like, A fan or fans may not interfere with a fielder reaching over a fence, rail, rope, or into a stand to catch a ball. Whoever makes up baseball's rules committee should think seriously about clarifying such things.

The right to root and holler and howl upon buying a ticket to a baseball game shouldn't include the right to even think about interfering with a player trying to make a play. Even if the player is reaching over the fence to try for a catch. (If Mookie Betts had actually caught Jose Altuve's drive, that would have been robbery of the finest kind---I mean, how many times have we loved the highlights of various outfielders pulling home runs back with fence leaping catches some of which look like they're ruling the laws of gravity unconstitutional?) That's just plain game courtesy and sportsmanship. And it would hold whether it's an Astro fan reaching for a potential Astro home run ball, a Red Sox fan reaching for a potential Red Sox home run ball, you get the idea.

I get the imperative of the souvenir hunt---I've caught a couple of foul balls in my time. (I gave them to my son; one was a pop foul behind the plate and the backstop when I had a seat for a minor league game behind the plate and barehanded the ball behind my shoulder before a few other fans in rows behind me could try for it; the other was a line shot into the right field seats, where I had a seat about sixteen rows back from the field and a big Rawlings close-webbed glove on my left paw.). But if I ever saw a player ambling over to try for a catch he could make, even if it's the other guy's player looking to rob a player on a team I'm rooting for, I'm not even going to think about trying to obstruct that fielder. Let the man try for the play. If he makes it, I'll hand him my brewski; if he misses, it won't be my fault. He's getting paid to play the game and I'm not. (My real first name is Jeff but my last name isn't Maier.  wink777 )

The Astros were robbed of nothing more than a two-run homer in the first inning; they still had eight innings to play and could very easily have won the game over those innings having several opportunities to do it, including with some of their best hitters at the plate. Where they really got "robbed" was Andrew Benintendi's catch---he kept the Astros from winning the game right there, robbery of the finest kind, snatching what might well have been a three-run hit, and saved the Red Sox from having to face Justin Verlander with the series tied at two games each.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:46:10 pm by EasyAce »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 09:51:46 pm »
Where they really got "robbed" was Andrew Benintendi's catch---he kept the Astros from winning the game right there, robbery of the finest kind, snatching what might well have been a three-run hit, and saved the Red Sox from having to face Justin Verlander with the series tied at two games each.

@EasyAce

See, I wouldn't call that being robbed at all. I would acknowledge that Benintendi made an awesome play. It was honest. It was disappointing to me as an Astros fan. But it was an outstanding catch that should grace the highlight reel for some time to come. Only in the athletically colloquial sense of the word did we get robbed. Not in the cheating sense.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:52:28 pm by AllThatJazzZ »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 09:53:42 pm »
I know a lot of purist, including me sometimes dislike the interuption in the game, but overall it corrects 90%+ of the missed calls.
@catfish1957
You may not remember (or believe), but when the replay debate ramped up in earnest a few years ago, one of the most outspoken advocates in favour of replay was . . . Don Denkinger himself.

The best argument in favour of replay that I can remember (and I was all for it from the word "go"; like Whitey Herzog once said, "This is for the championship, let's get it right") was during a game between the Rockies and the Dodgers. A Dodger fly to center was first ruled a trap; Rockies manager Jim Tracy hustled out to argue the call. Here was Vin Scully calling that argument, after the umpires confabbed before ruling trap (there was no replay then, of course), including his hilarious bid to translate Tracy's expletives . . . and how Scully knocked out of the park the argument that replay would "delay" the game unconscionably, as if rip-roaring arguments with umpires don't:

! No longer available

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 10:03:16 pm »
@EasyAce

See, I wouldn't call that being robbed at all. I would acknowledge that Benintendi made an awesome play. It was honest. It was disappointing to me as an Astros fan. But it was an outstanding catch that should grace the highlight reel for some time to come. Only in the athletically colloquial sense of the word did we get robbed. Not in the cheating sense.
Oh, that'll be up there on any future highlight film of earth-shattering catches.

I remember seeing a film of one that happened slightly before I was born: Jimmy Piersall robbing Mickey Mantle of a homer with a wall-scaling catch just over the fence in old Yankee Stadium, after Piersall had to run quite a distance in that cavernous old center and left center to have a shot at it. Mantle himself admitted he must have kicked a ton of dirt out of the infield after Piersall came down with the ball. Even Casey Stengel said, "In all my years in this game I never seen a catch like that!"

There should also be Al Gionfriddo's long-distance catch to rob Joe DiMaggio of an extra base hit in the 1947 World Series (Game Six)*, Billy Martin's shoestring in the 1952 Series (playing second base, he ran all the way in from the edge of the outfield grass on a Jackie Robinson popup in the middle of the infield for which no Yankee seemed to be playing for the ball before he bolted in), Tommie Agee's Benitendi-like catch on Paul Blair's soft liner to right center in the 1969 World Series, Mantle's long-distant sprint to catch Gil Hodges's long fly to center and save Don Larsen's 1956 Series perfect game, Dwight Evans running to the bullpen walls and robbing Joe Morgan of a two-run homer then doubling up Ken Griffey, Sr. with his throw in Game Six of the 1975 World Series, and Kirby Puckett's catch against and just above the old Metrodome plexiglass/Hefty bag liner wall to take a homer away from Ron Gant in the top of the eleventh, Game Six, 1991 World Series---right before Puckett led off the bottom of the eleventh with the game-winning homer that forced Game Seven.

* That was the catch for which legendary Dodgers broadcaster Red Barber called, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back, back he makes a one-handed catch against the wall!, the call Chris Berman would copy decades later when he called long balls doing ball games for ESPN . . .
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:06:19 pm by EasyAce »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 10:04:59 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

Good thing, you weren't a fan in the days before play review.

@catfish1957

In all honesty, I think that would be easier to take. If I hadn't had the opportunity to review Altuve's homerun (or the run at the plate in our last series in Boston), I could have shaken it off more easily. I could have convinced myself that I hadn't seen the play from the angle the ump had seen it, so maybe he was right. But when I KNOW we got cheated, I get heated. As you can see, I haven't let go of that lousy call in Boston when Altuve was safe at home plate. The 2018 stats in my brain have Boston at 107 wins and Astros at 104.
 wink777
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:06:02 pm by AllThatJazzZ »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 10:07:25 pm »
Joe West can't seem to get you of his own way, literally.
That 1st game where the thrown ball hit just had me scratching my head bald, I I don't have much hair left to begin with.

The Astros much-lauded bullpen has given up a lot of earned runs.

Yes, the interference call was suspect, but our home town nine allowed 8 runs last night.
in game 2, they scored 7
In game 3, they scored 8

Not going to win many that way.

Jackie Bradley, Jr has gone Springer-style haywire in this series.

Verlander may stop the bleeding, and I like Cole's chances on Saturday, if he can get over what plagued him in game 2.

Then again, it could all be over tonight, but I hope not, of course.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 10:12:44 pm »
, and I like Cole's chances on Saturday, if he can get over what plagued him in game 2.

I know exactly what plagued him.  Big fat juicy flat pitches that mimicked batting practice.

I know he won't but if I was AJ, I'd review Gerrit's pregame warm up, and pull him if the breaking ball still doesn't have the bite we expect.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 10:12:46 pm »
@catfish1957
You may not remember (or believe), but when the replay debate ramped up in earnest a few years ago, one of the most outspoken advocates in favour of replay was . . . Don Denkinger himself.

The best argument in favour of replay that I can remember (and I was all for it from the word "go"; like Whitey Herzog once said, "This is for the championship, let's get it right") was during a game between the Rockies and the Dodgers. A Dodger fly to center was first ruled a trap; Rockies manager Jim Tracy hustled out to argue the call. Here was Vin Scully calling that argument, after the umpires confabbed before ruling trap (there was no replay then, of course), including his hilarious bid to translate Tracy's expletives . . . and how Scully knocked out of the park the argument that replay would "delay" the game unconscionably, as if rip-roaring arguments with umpires don't:

! No longer available

That was interesting. Scully made a good argument for reviewing plays, but he missed the call re the catch. The ball hit the ground and into the glove.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 10:26:44 pm »
That was interesting. Scully made a good argument for reviewing plays, but he missed the call re the catch. The ball hit the ground and into the glove.
If you saw the quick replay closeup of the catch, you heard Scully say yes, it looked like the ball hit the glove, not the grass. When the play actually happened (I was watching it on television), Scully couldn't be any more sure that it was a catch than I could until replays on television showed it was indeed a catch. It was a paper-thin margin but the ball did hit the web of the glove and go into the glove just as the web hit the grass. An extremely tough call, which is why the umps confabbed on it right away.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:27:42 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 10:28:57 pm »
I know exactly what plagued him.  Big fat juicy flat pitches that mimicked batting practice.

I know he won't but if I was AJ, I'd review Gerrit's pregame warm up, and pull him if the breaking ball still doesn't have the bite we expect.
That'd be the key. If Cole can't get his breaking balls to move properly, he's vulnerable. He's still got good movement on the fastball but his breaking balls are his key.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 02:18:35 pm »
Its all moot today.
Congratulations to the Red Sox.
they didn't win 108 games by accident.