Author Topic: Legalized marijuana linked to spike in car accidents, study finds  (Read 424 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Legalized marijuana linked to spike in car accidents, study finds
Gary Gastelu

Legalized marijuana has been linked to an increase in car accidents, according to a new report from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety-Highway Loss Data Institute.

The non-profit insurance industry-funded organization compared police crash reports and collision claims from Colorado, Nevada, Oregon and Washington to neighboring states where recreational use of the substance is still banned.

Controlling for factors that include population density and weather, the studies found an average increase of 5.2 percent based on law enforcement data and 6 percent for insurance claims.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/legalized-marijuana-linked-to-spike-in-car-accidents-study-finds/ar-BBOyHVs

Obviously, there are accidents with alcohol too. We allow it to be legal.

Offline musiclady

Re: Legalized marijuana linked to spike in car accidents, study finds
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 04:11:16 pm »
Anyone surprised by this?

OF COURSE legalizing drugs creates more impaired and dangerous drivers.

Dopey decision........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 04:12:54 pm »
Obviously, there are accidents with alcohol too. We allow it to be legal.

So let's make more impaired drivers.

Does that seem like the right solution to the fact that people who drink too much alcohol shouldn't be driving?  MORE dangerous drivers??

C'mon!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 04:33:08 pm »
   I drink and smoke way too much BUT I don't Drive AT ALL when impaired, even slightly, the legal consequences are far to great to risk it. With that being said, and I have never advocated for legal pot, either~It is a State Issue, but this headline could have easily read that Blue Hairs (hopped up on pain pills) linked to spike in car accidents, study finds  /JS
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 06:36:05 pm »
I am not a user of recreational drugs nor do I advocate others take them. However, I am for states deciding about legalization of marijuana.
One thing has to be taken under consideration which applies to everything and not just pot.
Does legalizing pot make the country better i.e. freer or does it dramatically increase the chances of citizens being harmed to the great detriment of society?
The results of the experiment with legalized pot in a number of states is not over. It will take more time to understand what is happening.
But we are under no obligation to keep something legal if its legalization for recreational use would be a great harm to the country. Like certain opioids, fentanyl etc.
More time is needed to make any kind of a determination.