Author Topic: Dow jumps more than 500 points, posts best day since March as earnings fuel rally  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Dow jumps more than 500 points, posts best day since March as earnings fuel rally
CNBC, Oct 16, 2018

Stocks rose sharply on Tuesday after the release of strong quarterly results from some of the largest U.S. companies helped the market recover from last week's sell-off.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average surged 547.87 points to 25,798.42, with UnitedHealth outperforming. The S&P 500 gained 2.1 percent to 2,809.92 as the tech and health care sectors jumped more than 2.5 percent each. The Nasdaq Composite advanced 2.9 percent to 7,645.49. The major large-cap indexes all had their best day since March. The Russell 2000 index, which tracks small-cap stocks, jumped 2.8 percent and had its best day since Nov. 9, 2016.

With Tuesday's sharp gains and following a rally on Friday, the Dow has risen 3 percent from the lows seen last week.

Morgan Stanley jumped 5.7 percent after reporting better-than-expected earnings. Goldman Sachs' profits also beat estimates, sending the stock up 3 percent. Dow-members Johnson & Johnson and UnitedHealth both posted better-than-expected earnings, sending their shares higher.

More:  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/16/wall-street-futures-rise-ahead-of-goldman-sachs-morgan-stanley-earnings.html

Offline Frank Cannon

Wonder where all the panic freaks are that are first to slam the President when there is a correction?

@Applewood

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Wonder where all the panic freaks are that are first to slam the President when there is a correction?

@Applewood
They are on the other board trying to find more negatives on his tariff moves when jobs are up, wages are up, and the Chinese and the EU are caving.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

@Frank Cannon

Well, you don't care about the market.  I do.  But one of these days Trump's foolishness is going to cost you.  I wonder -- will you finally realize then that you supported a con artist, or are you going to blame whoever he tells you to?

Offline Frank Cannon

@Frank Cannon

Well, you don't care about the market.  I do.  But one of these days Trump's foolishness is going to cost you.  I wonder -- will you finally realize then that you supported a con artist, or are you going to blame whoever he tells you to?

Know who cost me? That jackass fraud and war monger Bush because he destroyed the real estate market with his Progressive bullshit. He was a p ussy and candy ass loser that all you radical Trump haters pine for. Me, not so much.

Offline RoosGirl

Okay, so DJIA is up 3.9% since the beginning of the year.

Okay, so DJIA is up 3.9% since the beginning of the year.
And how much since the 2016 election?  41%?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RoosGirl

And how much since the 2016 election?  41%?

38.6% if I've done my math correctly.

38.6% if I've done my math correctly.
I'll take that.

Exactly how many other Presidents have had that % gain in the first two years since being elected?

Not to even mention the absolute wealth gain when looked at in dollars, not %.

Offline RoosGirl

I'll take that.

Exactly how many other Presidents have had that % gain in the first two years since being elected?

Not to even mention the absolute wealth gain when looked at in dollars, not %.

I think Reagan had over 50% increase.

Offline The_Reader_David

Yeah, market corrections always initially overshoot and are followed by some of the losses being regained.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Frank Cannon

I think Reagan had over 50% increase.

Yeah and Coolidge had a 300% increase. What's your point?

BTW Reagan lost 700 points from 1981 to 1982. The economy in the first term of Reagan was a shitshow until right before the 84 election.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 04:55:44 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline GrouchoTex

Looks like it bounced back nicely from a week or so ago.

Offline Frank Cannon

Looks like it bounced back nicely from a week or so ago.

Don't worry. The panic freaks will tell you it's a dead cat bounce.

Offline RoosGirl

BTW Reagan lost 700 points from 1981 to 1982. The economy in the first term of Reagan was a shitshow until right before the 84 election.

I was just answering a question.

Offline Frank Cannon

I was just answering a question.

Well then answer this.....why does it take 15 minutes to cook minute rice?

Offline RoosGirl

Well then answer this.....why does it take 15 minutes to cook minute rice?

I don't know how to cook Chinese food.

Offline Frank Cannon

I don't know how to cook Chinese food.

Like hell. You were bragging about your Woux making skills on another thread.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Reagan lost 700 points of what?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Applewood

Know who cost me? That jackass fraud and war monger Bush because he destroyed the real estate market with his Progressive bullshit. He was a p ussy and candy ass loser that all you radical Trump haters pine for. Me, not so much.

No, I don't "pine" for President Bush,  He was the right president during the aftermath of 9-11 and I will always respect him for his leadership at that time.   I'm happy he was our president then instead of Obama.   But President Bush was lousy on domestic matters, such as the economy. Anyway, he's no longer president and  I am glad that family dynasty ended.  Don't like any political dynasties period.

However, I'm happy that you understand a president's actions do influence the economy, often negatively.  Despite what many of you believe, the stock market is a part of the economy.   Corection is fine, but when the markets plummet drastically day after day, only a fool wouldn't be worried. 

Offline RoosGirl

Just to throw a little bit of your nonsense back at you, I guess you were pining for President Gore or President Kerry during those years?

Offline Frank Cannon

Just to throw a little bit of your nonsense back at you, I guess you were pining for President Gore or President Kerry during those years?

They couldn't have been any worse. GWB created some of the biggest and dangerous govt' agencies and programs that were ever dreamed of. One is a cabinet level agency. Wasn't that why we were told not to vote for Gore/Kerry? They were big govt' dudes that were going to control our lives. Actually the GOP controlled congress would have opposed the Patriot Act, the NSA and Homeland Security if a Rat proposed it. 

Offline RoosGirl

They couldn't have been any worse. GWB created some of the biggest and dangerous govt' agencies and programs that were ever dreamed of. One is a cabinet level agency. Wasn't that why we were told not to vote for Gore/Kerry? They were big govt' dudes that were going to control our lives. Actually the GOP controlled congress would have opposed the Patriot Act, the NSA and Homeland Security if a Rat proposed it.

I agree with all of that, and yet when some of us point out that the same bullshit is still happening we get told that we must have wanted Hillary to win.  However, it occurs to me that we all have different tolerances for the amount of bullshit we can put up with.

Offline Frank Cannon

I agree with all of that, and yet when some of us point out that the same bullshit is still happening we get told that we must have wanted Hillary to win.  However, it occurs to me that we all have different tolerances for the amount of bullshit we can put up with.

Here's the problem. So far Trump hasn't cause any of the damage that you folks claim he would. As a matter of fact he has been closest thing we have had to a real Republican President since Reagan. That's not a high bar considering 2 worthless Progressive GOP Presidents were in between 1988 and now, but it is a remarkable improvement. When Trump pushes through a program or a cabinet level position that involves small kids getting fondled or molested to fly on vacation, then give me a call and I will put him in the shitbag column.

Offline RoosGirl

Here's the problem. So far Trump hasn't cause any of the damage that you folks claim he would. As a matter of fact he has been closest thing we have had to a real Republican President since Reagan. That's not a high bar considering 2 worthless Progressive GOP Presidents were in between 1988 and now, but it is a remarkable improvement. When Trump pushes through a program or a cabinet level position that involves small kids getting fondled or molested to fly on vacation, then give me a call and I will put him in the shitbag column.

Meh, I don't care about Trump. And I'm not directly talking about him.  I don't think I made any predictions about him, i'm not into that new age shit.