Author Topic: Dead end kid, espionage, welcome to LCS intrigue  (Read 3089 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Dead end kid, espionage, welcome to LCS intrigue
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 07:42:26 pm »
I believe that boy couldn't catch a cold.

He did throw out a runner, which is his specialty, but way too many passed balls.
He hits about a home run a month, which is the only hit he gets that month.

Other than that, hey what's not to love?
He's definitely not the same catcher I saw when he was an Angel and was one of the better defensive catchers in the AL West and a good handler of pitchers.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 02:07:45 pm »
He's definitely not the same catcher I saw when he was an Angel and was one of the better defensive catchers in the AL West and a good handler of pitchers.

Agreed. He looked pretty good here in Houston when he first arrived.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 02:15:51 pm »
@catfish1957

I don't even know what all that means or why NLC is preferred over ALW. I'm starting to wonder if baseball is the wrong game for me. It takes a considerable amount of time to watch the games (I watched all but about 10 or 12 games over the season). I was having great fun with my new passion (even during the injuries and slumps) -- until the past couple of weeks when I started learning about the shenanigans that go on away from the game itself. I have to weigh the value of my time against the disappointment and discouragement brought on by backstage puppeteers. I can't unknow what I have learned in recent weeks. I'm now feeling jaded and cheated. Maybe it's just the sting of last night's lousy call, but, at my advanced age, I need to consider how I invest my time. I woke up still mad as hell. That's not healthy.

@AllThatJazzZ

Hang in there.

A quote from A. Bartlett Giamatti, "The green fields of the mind."

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Today, October 2, a Sunday of rain and broken branches and leaf-clogged drains and slick streets, it stopped, and summer was gone.

Somehow, the summer seemed to slip by faster this time. Maybe it wasn't this summer, but all the summers that, in this my fortieth summer, slipped by so fast. There comes a time when every summer will have something of autumn about it. Whatever the reason, it seemed to me that I was investing more and more in baseball, making the game do more of the work that keeps time fat and slow and lazy. I was counting on the game's deep patterns, three strikes, three outs, three times three innings, and its deepest impulse, to go out and back, to leave and to return home, to set the order of the day and to organize the daylight. I wrote a few things this last summer, this summer that did not last, nothing grand but some things, and yet that work was just camouflage. The real activity was done with the radio--not the all-seeing, all-falsifying television--and was the playing of the game in the only place it will last, the enclosed green field of the mind. There, in that warm, bright place, what the old poet called Mutability does not so quickly come.

Baseball is a wonderful and glorious game, and mimics life quite a bit with ups and downs, heroics and failures.
God bless Abner Doubleday.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:33:32 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 07:47:18 pm »
God bless Abner Doubleday.
Who didn't actually lay out the game. It was a myth begun by a fellow named A.G. Mills, who commissioned a 1905 study to determine the game's origin after a former player-turned-sporting goods tycoon, Albert Spalding, who objected to the thought that baseball might have evolved from England's rounders and cricket and wanted affirmation that it was a purely American creation. Not only was Doubleday not even present in Cooperstown in 1839, the year he supposedly invented the game (he was stationed at West Point at the time), but his obituary upon his death in 1893 made a point of mentioning that he actually didn't much like outdoor sports---even though he did provide baseball equipment for troops under his command as an off-duty recreation. (Doubleday was a Civil War general and the man who ordered the first shot of that war defending Fort Sumter, the war's first battle.)

A man named Abner Graves, a Denver mining engineer, submitted a letter to Mills's commission claiming Doubleday as baseball's creator. But nobody bothered to fact-check Graves's claims and, in fact, he died in 1926 . . . in an insane asylum. Baseball may actually not have a single inventor, properly defined, but it was Alexander Cartwright who first came up with the rules---including the infield, basepath, and mound distance dimensions---that basically defined the game as we've come to know it. Cartwright did that in 1845; a year later, the first known and recorded baseball game played under the Cartwright rules, between the New York Knickerbockers and the New York Nine, was played in a park known as the Elysian Fields in Hoboken, N.J. The most positive outcome of the Doubleday myth is Cooperstown being the home, of course, of the Hall of Fame.

Abner Doubleday had as much to do with the creation of baseball as Herbert Hoover had to do with the invention of the portable vacuum cleaner. (Which was created, by the way, by an Ohio janitor named Murray Spangler, whose battles with asthma inspired him to rig up a fan tied to a revolving sweeping brush and augmented by an oversize pillow case that anyone could use. His cousin-in-law spotted it, liked it, and, realising Spangler couldn't afford to produce it en masse on his own, turned his leather goods operation into a massively successful vacuum cleaner manufacturer beginning in 1908. The cousin-in-law was Bill Hoover, no relation to either the future president or the future FBI director, and Lord knows J. Edgar Hoover sucked . . .)

Baseball began in a bright green field with an ancient name when this country was new and raw and without shape, and it has shaped America by linking every summer from 1846 to this one, through wars and depressions and seasons of rain.

Baseball is one of the few enduring institutions in America that has been continuous and adaptable and in touch with its origins. As a result, baseball is not simply an essential part of this country; it is a living memory of what American culture at its best wishes to be.

The game is quintessentially American in the way it puts the premium on both the individual and the team; in the way it encourages enterprise and imagination and yet asserts the supreme power of the law. Baseball is quintessentially American in the way it tells us that, much as you travel and far as you go, out to the green frontier, the purpose is to get home, back to where the others are, the pioneer ever striving to come back to the common place. A nation of migrants always, for all their wandering, remembers what every immigrant never forgets: that you may leave home but if you forget where home is, you are truly lost and without hope.

---A. Bartlett Giamatti, from "Men of Baseball, Lend an Ear," The New York Times, 1981.

Giamatti knew the deep national need for 90-foot baselines and 60-foot-6-inch pitching lanes, and three-strikes-you're-out-at-the-old-ball-game. He knew that the occasional eccentric whose passion tended toward stamp collecting or opera or gardening or computer hacking or football probably breathed easier from the exhibitions of March to the Series of October, secure that there was a ball game going on somewhere.

It was a tribute to Giamatti, who died Friday, that most journals and broadcasts honored him, in their rapidly assembled obituaries, as a human being first, and a scholar and administrator and writer before he ever became a baseball official.

When he first assumed the presidency of the National League, there was the tendency of some to patronize him as the nutty professor on sabbatical. This columnist, who saw Giamatti as a gravely serious man, once jested in print that a minor National League decision be rendered in Haiku, the Japanese 17-syllable poetry form. Giamatti referred to it years later, clearly not amused. Besides, his specialty was Dante . . .

At the very least, the [Pete] Rose affair kept Giamatti from sitting in the stands very often. He did get to see Nolan Ryan record his 5,000th strikeout last month in Texas, ticking off at least one Oakland player who thought he detected Giamatti rooting for Ryan.

Giamatti knew that baseball is about rooting, about caring. Let us envision him on the edge of his seat, a smile softening his gray beard and somber eyes, his fists itching to pump the air as Ryan blew his heater past Rickey Henderson. Let us picture him in Seattle or in Atlanta, suffering with the home fans, or back in Fenway, letting his true passions out.

As long as he was commissioner, there would have been the chance he would act and speak out of his convictions, and that these would have made him the ultimate steward of the national game.

---George Vecsey, from "The Commissioner Who Went One-for-One," The New York Times, 3 September 1989.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:56:45 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 10:10:45 pm »
@catfish1957

I need to apologize to you. I didn't [want to] buy the MLB manipulation that you referenced in your posts (Reply #5, specifically item (2), and Reply #15 and #17). The more I read and hear, the more I realize you're right.

I managed to catch this on FOX News this morning as Bill Hemmer and Julie Banderas were closing their show. Hemmer announced that Boston would be going to the World Series. Banderas kept badgering him to say who he's rooting for. He was all grins as he maneuvered his way through her questions without actually picking a team. He ended with this:

At this point, baseball can’t lose. If you get -- no offense against Milwaukee…and the rest of the guys -- if you get an LA/Boston Series, it would be great for baseball, coast to coast (gestures to indicate the two coasts).

--Bill Hemmer
FOX News, Oct. 19, 2018

Dayum! You were right. What a naïve fool I am. You'd think I'd get used to being part of flyover country, but hope springs eternal, as they say. I'll be contemplating whether baseball is the sport for me during the offseason. And mourning that my baseball virginity is lost and that I'm feeling a bit used.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 10:57:08 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

Jazz....

In the realm of MLB wanting to nudge the needle one way or the other proved moot last night.

No conspiracy theory  caused the Astros to look that pathetic at the plate in G5.  The Game (series)  is a game of inches, and in 75-80% of this ALCS those breaks fell to the BoSox.   The better team won.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 02:07:14 am »
@EasyAce
I knew Doubleday wasn't the creator, but I look at it like saying Colombus discovered America.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2018, 05:06:13 am »
@AllThatJazzZ

Jazz....

In the realm of MLB wanting to nudge the needle one way or the other proved moot last night.

No conspiracy theory  caused the Astros to look that pathetic at the plate in G5.  The Game (series)  is a game of inches, and in 75-80% of this ALCS those breaks fell to the BoSox.   The better team won.

@catfish1957

Uh-oh. If my post came across that I expected the 'Stros to win in spite of their sluggish performance, I failed to get my point across. I need to hone my writing skills.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2018, 10:35:03 am »
@catfish1957

Uh-oh. If my post came across that I expected the 'Stros to win in spite of their sluggish performance, I failed to get my point across. I need to hone my writing skills.

@AllThatJazzZ

No Jazz, your wring is fine.  Baseball is unique that it has such a long grueling schedule of 162 battles that culminate into a best 11 of 17 (add 1 if you are WC).  Seems always that the team that not only gets hot Oct 1 and stays hot becomes champion.  Last year was a joy, when you think that only 1 team out of 30 is happy at the end.  29 go disappointed.   

I have a saying that "Bad Baseball is better than No Baseball at All".  For 52 prior seasons, that pretty much has been my credo.  I'm still basking in 2017, and no one will ever take that from me. 

p.s. Pitchers and Catchers report in about 116 days.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 04:08:47 pm »
@EasyAce
I knew Doubleday wasn't the creator, but I look at it like saying Colombus discovered America.
@GrouchoTex
No muss, no fuss, no problem.

And, strangely enough, there are people who still think either Herbert Hoover or J. Edgar Hoover were related to the man who actually did make the vacuum cleaners . . .

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2018, 04:05:44 pm »
@GrouchoTex
No muss, no fuss, no problem.

And, strangely enough, there are people who still think either Herbert Hoover or J. Edgar Hoover were related to the man who actually did make the vacuum cleaners . . .

It is, admittedly, intellectual laziness on my part.