Author Topic: Cannabis in Canada: Who wins and who loses under new law  (Read 337 times)

Offline thackney

Cannabis in Canada: Who wins and who loses under new law
« on: October 15, 2018, 01:21:32 pm »
Cannabis in Canada: Who wins and who loses under new law
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45674260
15 October 2018

Canada is about to become the second nation to fully legalise recreational cannabis. When prohibition comes to an end on 17 October, Canadian adults will be able to purchase and consume the drug from federally licensed producers.

The country has one of the highest rates of cannabis use in the world, particularly among young people.

Canadians spent an estimated C$5.7bn ($4.6bn; £3.5bn) in 2017 alone on combined medical and recreational use - about $1,200 per user. The bulk of that spending was on black market marijuana.

Uruguay was the first country to legalise recreational marijuana, although Portugal and the Netherlands have decriminalised the drug.

Here's a look at some of the consequences of this sweeping transition in Canada - and the potential winners and losers.

Lawyers - winners

Landlords - losers

Global brands - winners

Craft' cannabis producers - losers?

Cannabis researchers - winners
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

Re: Cannabis in Canada: Who wins and who loses under new law
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 02:51:34 am »
You left off two others the article included:

Justin Trudeau - winner

Canada's cities - losers?

I know one Canadian who supported the Liberal party for the promise to legalize cannabis.  She doesn't use it recreationally; she has a medical card for it, but rarely uses it, instead using oil so she doesn't get high.  But the medical approval is such a hassle and she believes it should be legal for all.

She was so mad at Trudeau for many things, most of all not pushing hard enough to legalize pot, she switched parties and even ran for office against the Liberals.

She hates Trudeau, but I fear that this will draw her back toward the Liberals, along with many others who had started doubting Trudy.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn