Author Topic: Mapping Africa's natural resources (30% of the world's natural resources)  (Read 358 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mapping Africa's natural resources
An overview of the continent's main natural resources.
20 Feb 2018 15:10 GMT | Maps, Africa

Africa is a key territory on the global map. Rich in oil and natural resources, the continent holds a strategic position.

Rich in oil and natural resources, Africa is the world's fastest-growing region for foreign direct investment. It has approximately 30 percent of the earth's remaining mineral resources.

It's home to more than 40 different nations and around 2,000 languages. Sub-Saharan Africa has six of the world's 10 fastest-growing economies. North Africa has vast oil and natural gas deposits, the Sahara holds the most strategic nuclear ore, and resources such as coltan, gold, and copper, among many others, are abundant on the continent.

The region is full of promise and untapped riches - from oil and minerals and land to vast amounts of people capital - yet, it has struggled since colonial times to truly realise its potential.

Read more at: https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/interactive/2016/10/mapping-africa-natural-resources-161020075811145.html

February but al Jazeera slapped it on their twitter feed for today. So, I thought this was very interesting. Useful info.

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 06:54:01 pm by TomSea »

Offline Suppressed

Map them all to China, who's been buying them all up.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
It's interesting, Kenya is only in there for tea. Yet, they seem to be somewhat well-off for a nation but that would be a question for the real experts of which I am not.

Niger, uranium, Somalia too for that matter. It's an interesting map.

Interesting trivia point, Algeria is a larger country than Mexico... so that gives a bit of perspective on the map though, Algeria is the largest country on the North of African coast while Mexico is a bit strewn out.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:14:07 pm by TomSea »

Offline mirraflake

China has been taking over Africa. When they do those folks will opine when whites ruled over them. China will be brutal to them.

Offline Suppressed

It's interesting, Kenya is only in there for tea. Yet, they seem to be somewhat well-off for a nation but that would be a question for the real experts of which I am not.

While it's true that there are other natural resources there, it's also true that Kenya and Rwanda have become more prosperous than other African nations with more resources.  Kenya's democratic and free-market tendencies have helped it to flourish.

You're right that Africa (along with South America) is downright HUGE.  The Mercator Projection has given us a distorted view of the world's land area.  Many of us have exaggerated views of the area of continents/countries away from the equator.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn