Author Topic: Jeff Flake: I hope that somebody runs in primary against Trump  (Read 2488 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jeff Flake: I hope that somebody runs in primary against Trump
« on: October 12, 2018, 02:27:18 pm »
By Tal Axelrod - 10/12/18 09:49 AM EDT

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) slammed President Trump as unmoored from conservative principles and said he hopes he gets a primary opponent in 2020 who can remind Republicans of "what it means to be decent."

“I do hope that somebody does run in the primary against the president. I think the Republicans need to be reminded of what conservatism really is and what it means to be decent, and we haven’t had that kind of politics lately,” Flake, who is retiring after his term ends in January, told C-SPAN.

Flake said the ceremonies honoring the late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) after his death from brain cancer in August served as a “reminder” of the stark differences between his politics and those of the president.

“That whole week commemoration of his life and his politics was just an additional reminder of stark differences that there are sometimes in politicians,” he said about the period after McCain's death.

“I think we as a Republican Party certainly have got to get back to a kind of decency that has characterized the party for a while,” he added.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/411114-jeff-flake-i-hope-that-somebody-runs-in-primary-against-trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

Re: Jeff Flake: I hope that somebody runs in primary against Trump
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 02:32:42 pm »

“I think we as a Republican Party certainly have got to get back to a kind of decency that has characterized the party for a while,” 

That "decency" is why Obama won two terms as POTUS.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 03:00:02 pm »
I saw part of this last night.  He may or may not be an idiot, but he sure thinks we are.  The commentator said, "Well, it's sure easy to understand why his approval rating is 18%, so low he can't run for reelection."

As an Arizonan who voted for him six years ago, I feel a slap in my face every time he flaps his lips.  He was a decent Representative, other than the fact he lied when he said he's only run for three terms like his predecessor.  He did six terms.

His rating headed straight into the toilet when he was Elected Senator.  He tried to copy his partner McCain's "Aisle Reachitus."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:12:39 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 04:06:28 pm »

In this day and age, there are no 'bonus' points for style in American politics.

Jeffrey may be confused. Politics is closer to MMA and Roller-rink, than to ballet dancing.

I recommend some time studying the history of organized conflict. Martial arts. Boxing. Wrestling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_arts

At this time, the democrats are the ones talking conflict with their "Hit them high," hit them low language.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 04:08:26 pm »

I hope someone runs over Flake with a swamp boat so I don't have to listen to this worthless fag anymore.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 04:26:23 pm »
Flake's only hope for any future office is if some Democrat appoints him as the token Republican so as to demonstrate that they are "bipartisan".  But considering how polarized things are, that kind of fake bipartisanship may be a thing of the past anyway.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 04:28:26 pm »
Flake's only hope for any future office is if some Democrat appoints him as the token Republican so as to demonstrate that they are "bipartisan".  But considering how polarized things are, that kind of fake bipartisanship may be a thing of the past anyway.

I sure hope so.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 04:35:34 pm »

I hope Flake is much better than I think he is because that 'return to decency' remark sure leaves him open for attack.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 04:40:04 pm »
If he cared about decency, he would have stopped the ritual defamation of Kavanaugh.  He gave it legs.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 04:59:35 pm »
If he cared about decency, he would have stopped the ritual defamation of Kavanaugh.  He gave it legs.

As we kids used to say, "He ain't got no room to talk."

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 05:07:01 pm »
That man Flake is in more need of a king size tube of preparation H busted off in his ass than any Senator since John McCain when room temp.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 05:16:41 pm »
If the recent wavering, quivering, bumbling, and blubbering display during the Kavanaugh hearings is Flaka Flakes idea of civility, he definitely doesn't need to be Prez.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 05:20:00 pm »
That man Flake is in more need of a king size tube of preparation H busted off in his ass than any Senator since John McCain when room temp.

:rolling:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 09:01:49 pm »
That "decency" is why Obama won two terms as POTUS.

Pure poppycock!  Deceny had nothing to do with WHY Obama was elected.  Simply stated, Bush was perceived as a poor president by everyone except the most extreme Republicans, what is now those in the Republican Party that are anti-Trumers.  This is what I have dubbed the Nixon-Carter Syndrome.  What is perceived to be an incredibly bad president is followed by a relative unknown.  Carter followed Nixon, Obama followed Bush and Trump followed Obama.  In each case the electorate was disgusted with the poor representation they had at POTUS, not to mention the bums in Congress.

The decency of Obama....you gave me my rotflol for the day!

Another factor for Obama winning was the novelty factor, something HR Clinton thought would work for her and didn't!  If I heard one I heard twenty mostly white women say 'it is time America vote a black man president', like that was a reason to vote for someone.  Ugggh!  All that stupidity is gone, proven with HRC's non election.

Flake's surname could not be more perfect for the jack*ss!  He like so many self important people that came before him will hopefully fade away into obscurity.  Another is Rick Santorum, another man that holds himself in high esteem, yet is full of something!

Trump is a self made billionaire, and with that success comes a certain arrogance, and a termperment that is not tolerant of bullsh*t.  His actions as president prove without doubt he is a man that gets things done, and he is not afraid of the aversity in his path.  He has been dealing with corrupt politicians all his adult life.  He knows what makes most of these maggots tick.  Yes, he is crass, obnoxious at time, ignorant, but what I love is that he is getting things done in the interest of the American people and for this country.

When he stands up to ignorant morons in the NFL who never did anything for their country but make big money, I applaud him.

There will undoubtedly be a half dozen wankers that will decide to run against him, and about the same number to run against HR Clinton, but it will be a rematch between Trump and Clinton.  And if you are like me, I cannot wait to see HR Clinton handed her head again, only this time, Trump gets 40 Electoral College states.

And the Flakes out there, well they buy a car wash and worry about having enough clean towels.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:05:37 pm by jafo2010 »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 02:33:21 pm »
Pure poppycock!  Deceny had nothing to do with WHY Obama was elected.  Simply stated, Bush was perceived as a poor president by everyone except the most extreme Republicans, what is now those in the Republican Party that are anti-Trumers.   

@jafo2010

888high58888 888high58888 888high58888

Bingo! The Bible-Thumping Church Lady Bush-Bots for the most part,with a few added Party People who don't like the idea of a outsider coming in and taking over.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:36:07 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 02:35:35 pm »
@jafo2010

I think you misunderstood, I put "decency" in quotes to point out the pre-Trump GOP that just sat back and took it while the Rats and their accomplices in the media constantly attacked them.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 03:48:28 pm »
Pure poppycock!  Deceny had nothing to do with WHY Obama was elected.  Simply stated, Bush was perceived as a poor president by everyone except the most extreme Republicans, what is now those in the Republican Party that are anti-Trumers.  This is what I have dubbed the Nixon-Carter Syndrome.  What is perceived to be an incredibly bad president is followed by a relative unknown.  Carter followed Nixon, Obama followed Bush and Trump followed Obama.  In each case the electorate was disgusted with the poor representation they had at POTUS, not to mention the bums in Congress.

The decency of Obama....you gave me my rotflol for the day!

Another factor for Obama winning was the novelty factor, something HR Clinton thought would work for her and didn't!  If I heard one I heard twenty mostly white women say 'it is time America vote a black man president', like that was a reason to vote for someone.  Ugggh!  All that stupidity is gone, proven with HRC's non election.

Flake's surname could not be more perfect for the jack*ss!  He like so many self important people that came before him will hopefully fade away into obscurity.  Another is Rick Santorum, another man that holds himself in high esteem, yet is full of something!

Trump is a self made billionaire, and with that success comes a certain arrogance, and a termperment that is not tolerant of bullsh*t.  His actions as president prove without doubt he is a man that gets things done, and he is not afraid of the aversity in his path.  He has been dealing with corrupt politicians all his adult life.  He knows what makes most of these maggots tick.  Yes, he is crass, obnoxious at time, ignorant, but what I love is that he is getting things done in the interest of the American people and for this country.

When he stands up to ignorant morons in the NFL who never did anything for their country but make big money, I applaud him.

There will undoubtedly be a half dozen wankers that will decide to run against him, and about the same number to run against HR Clinton, but it will be a rematch between Trump and Clinton.  And if you are like me, I cannot wait to see HR Clinton handed her head again, only this time, Trump gets 40 Electoral College states.

And the Flakes out there, well they buy a car wash and worry about having enough clean towels.

Interesting post and mostly true, but I will never believe what you said about GWB.  I think he was popular and well-liked and if Bush had been able to run again, he would have beaten Obama handily.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 04:19:33 pm »

Whether purposely or not,  Sen. Flake's one-week delay so the FBI could investigate could likely help the GOP this November.   It blunted the argument that Ms. Ford's allegations weren't being taken "seriously",  and allowed the GOP to stand in virtuous contrast to the Dems' character assassins.   That in turn helps frame the election as a referendum on the Dems'  abhorrent behavior,  undiluted by the counter-charge that the GOP rammed through Kav's confirmation without even letting the FBI interview the folks Mr. Ford said were at the party.   

It is helpful,  I think,  to try to evaluate things through the lens of a casual voter rather than a partisan.  Viewed through such a lens,  the one-week delay to have an "apolitical" federal agency vet whether Ford's charge was corroborated allowed the GOP to credibly paint itself as concerned with due process and fairness toward both accused and accuser.   I love how that looks as compared to the rabid partisanship of the Dems,  where the presumption of innocence was trashed in service of a political goal.   

So, in retrospect,  I think Flake's move was a smart one.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 04:28:36 pm »
As for the thread topic,  I hope a strong GOP challenger emerges for Trump in 2020.    His populism based on stoking fears of immigrants is not my cup of tea,  and difficult to reconcile with the movement conservatism I (and Jeff Flake) grew up in.      I concede that Trumpism is a major force in the modern conservative coalition, but as the face of the party Trump remains cringeworthy. 

I want an alternative.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 04:31:16 pm »
In this day and age, there are no 'bonus' points for style in American politics.

Jeffrey may be confused. Politics is closer to MMA and Roller-rink, than to ballet dancing.

I recommend some time studying the history of organized conflict. Martial arts. Boxing. Wrestling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_arts

At this time, the democrats are the ones talking conflict with their "Hit them high," hit them low language.

LOL! caught some of the original ROLLERBALL, with James Caan the other day. :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:32:05 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 04:37:49 pm »
As for the thread topic,  I hope a strong GOP challenger emerges for Trump in 2020.    His populism based on stoking fears of immigrants is not my cup of tea,  and difficult to reconcile with the movement conservatism I (and Jeff Flake) grew up in.      I concede that Trumpism is a major force in the modern conservative coalition, but as the face of the party Trump remains cringeworthy. 

I want an alternative.

Kasich, anybody? happy77
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 04:48:24 pm »

So, in retrospect,  I think Flake's move was a smart one.   

I agree, although I question Flake's motives, but the fact is that the reaction to Ford's testimony pretty much backed the GOP into a corner and they needed to do something to give them cover to vote for Kavanaugh.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 04:55:46 pm »
Kasich, anybody? happy77

Kasich couldn't carry Donald Trump's jockstrap.    ....a pimple on politics' a$$.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 05:06:50 pm »
Kasich couldn't carry Donald Trump's jockstrap.    ....a pimple on politics' a$$.

:laugh:
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 05:10:05 pm »

I want an alternative.
Do yourself a favor, and listen to some of Victor Davis Hanson's lectures.

He knows the immigrant topic, inside and out. stoking concerns, not fears
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln