Author Topic: Ethanol Mandate Wastes Money, Pollutes Air, And Ruins Cars — Don't Expand It, End It  (Read 557 times)

Online corbe

Ethanol Mandate Wastes Money, Pollutes Air, And Ruins Cars — Don't Expand It, End It

10/09/2018

Ethanol: Some people have called the new plan to boost ethanol to 15% of our gasoline fuel supply a "reform" of the ethanol program. It's not. It's an expansion of the program, which should instead be shut down.

President Trump, cutting a deal as always (that's one of his gifts), has hit upon a compromise. Previously, gasoline makers struggled with costs when they would be forced to switch their blend seasonally from 10% ethanol to 15% ethanol, then back.

Trump's plan makes it simpler: Just make 15% the cap, and ignore the switching. Sell it year-round. Problem solved.

While we laud President Trump for his spirit of compromise, this move marks an expansion of a bad and wasteful program, one that requires billions of dollars in subsidies a year but doesn't boost our fuel supply one bit.

<..snip..>

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/ethanol-waste-pollution-subsidies/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RoosGirl

While we're at it, let's add lead back too.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Started as a program with Bush but like most programs, maybe it had a prior history.

I have used it in my car, it's okay. In fact, I thought the article posted earlier even said it's in a lot of gasoline, 10%.

Offline RoosGirl

Started as a program with Bush but like most programs, maybe it had a prior history.

I have used it in my car, it's okay. In fact, I thought the article posted earlier even said it's in a lot of gasoline, 10%.

A 2012 study by Auto Alliance showed that some cars (model years 2001 to 2009) showed internal engine damage as the result of using an ethanol fuel blend. Damage to the valves and valve seats was evident in some of the cars tested. One of the 16 cars in the Auto Alliance study failed emissions compliance standards, which means it emitted more pollution than allowed by the EPA. The study also showed that cars running on E15 take a hit on gas mileage -- so they require more fuel to travel the same distance, which counteracts the benefits of diluting it in the first place.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/ethanol-damage-engine.htm

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

A 2012 study by Auto Alliance showed that some cars (model years 2001 to 2009) showed internal engine damage as the result of using an ethanol fuel blend. Damage to the valves and valve seats was evident in some of the cars tested. One of the 16 cars in the Auto Alliance study failed emissions compliance standards, which means it emitted more pollution than allowed by the EPA. The study also showed that cars running on E15 take a hit on gas mileage -- so they require more fuel to travel the same distance, which counteracts the benefits of diluting it in the first place.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/ethanol-damage-engine.htm

Dang! I woulda thought that there wouldn't be valve damage going from 10 to 15%. Made me look. You're right.

Engine durability tests by the Coordinating Research Council, which studies the interaction of engines and petroleum products, found leaks from uneven valve seat wear and pittage in two of eight 2001-09 vehicle engines run for 500 hr on a 15% ethanol-85% gasoline fuel blend, the organization supported by the American Petroleum Institute and automobile manufacturers said.

“There are a minimum 5 million engines on the road today with characteristics similar to the ones that failed,” API Pres. Jack N. Gerard told reporters during a May 16 teleconference. “It’s not like we’re talking about prospective application. We’re applying this to the fleet that’s on the road today. We believe our estimate is conservative.”

The test results confirm that the US Environmental Protection Agency prematurely approved E15 for use in 2001 model year or newer cars and light trucks before CRC could complete its tests, added Michael J. Stanton, president of Global Automakers, and Mitch Bainwol, president of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. “Policy goals are being advanced by putting consumers at risk,” Bainwol suggested. “Now we have material evidence that validates our concern.”

https://www.ogj.com/articles/2012/05/crc-tests-reveal-valve-seat-damage-in-some-vehicles-from-e15.html
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:14:47 am by Elderberry »

Offline RoosGirl

Dang! I woulda thought that there wouldn't be valve damage going fron 10 to 15%. Made me look. You're right.

Engine durability tests by the Coordinating Research Council, which studies the interaction of engines and petroleum products, found leaks from uneven valve seat wear and pittage in two of eight 2001-09 vehicle engines run for 500 hr on a 15% ethanol-85% gasoline fuel blend, the organization supported by the American Petroleum Institute and automobile manufacturers said.

“There are a minimum 5 million engines on the road today with characteristics similar to the ones that failed,” API Pres. Jack N. Gerard told reporters during a May 16 teleconference. “It’s not like we’re talking about prospective application. We’re applying this to the fleet that’s on the road today. We believe our estimate is conservative.”

The test results confirm that the US Environmental Protection Agency prematurely approved E15 for use in 2001 model year or newer cars and light trucks before CRC could complete its tests, added Michael J. Stanton, president of Global Automakers, and Mitch Bainwol, president of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. “Policy goals are being advanced by putting consumers at risk,” Bainwol suggested. “Now we have material evidence that validates our concern.”

https://www.ogj.com/articles/2012/05/crc-tests-reveal-valve-seat-damage-in-some-vehicles-from-e15.html

I'm right about the lead thing too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I'm right about the lead thing too.

My 53 Willys CJ3B and my 56 Chevy 3/4 ton would love to run on lead. And no Cats to foul.

Offline Hoodat

The idiocy of ethanol mandates is compounded by the idiocy of banning ethanol imports from countries where sugar is one-seventh the US price.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-