Author Topic: Dow plummets 750 points  (Read 10185 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Dow plummets 750 points
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2018, 02:27:02 pm »
I'm sure if you go back and chew on the whole conversation a bit it'll be clearer.
You really need to chew slowly so the mind can absorb here.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,335951.msg1820496.html#msg1820496
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2018, 02:38:58 pm »
You really need to chew slowly so the mind can absorb here.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,335951.msg1820496.html#msg1820496

Fine, have it your way.  I retract what I said before and change it to : A poorly run company is just as good as a well run company.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 02:40:13 pm by RoosGirl »

« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2018, 01:28:08 am »

Again.....I’m talking about the fallout from the tariffs, which is having an effect on midwestern farmers who went his way.  Even Sen. Ernst agreed.  If it wasn’t a problem, there wouldn’t have been a bailout proposal.  If left in place long enough, the tariffs will result in the net loss of jobs in that industry.  They always do.  See the Bush 43 steel and Obama tire tariffs as recent examples.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/joni-ernst-trumps-tariffs-are-hurting-american-farmers

https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/09/news/economy/trump-farmers-china-tariffs/index.html

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-what-happened-the-last-time-the-us-imposed-tariffs-on-steel-2018-03-08

https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/03/news/economy/obama-china-tire-tariff/index.html
Here's some more real data, not just conjecture like you linked. @edpc

Manufacturing Continues to Boom in America, Defying Gloomy Tariff Predictions
The American manufacturing sector continued to add jobs in August, defying predictions that the Trump administration’s steel and aluminum tariffs would cost jobs in metals-using industries.

There were 488,000 job openings in manufacturing in August, up from 416 a year ago, the Department of Labor said Tuesday. Two years ago, before President Trump took office, there were just 337,000 manufacturing job vacancies in August.

In durable goods, which is the category that includes most metals-using industry, there were 286,000 openings. That’s up from 229,000 a year ago. Two years ago, there were just 200,000. Durable goods openings have been higher every month than they were when the metals tariffs were first announced in late March.

Layoffs have been falling, rather than rising as predicted. Back in April, there were 69,000 layoffs in durable goods manufacturing. In August, that number was 64,000. That’s just about tied with the 63,000 from a year ago. The rate of layoffs has declined since the tariff announcement, from 0.9 percent in April to 0.8 percent in August. Two years ago, durable good manufacturers let 71,000 workers go in August, a layoff rate of 0.9 percent.

The number of hires declined in August to 207,000 after a monster 231,000 in July. This was down from 214,000 a year ago. But since unemployment down to 3.7 percent and openings are up, this is an indicator of a tight labor market rather than a sign that tariffs are hurting. August was the fifth consecutive month in which there were more openings than unemployed people in the U.S. Two years ago, when the unemployment rate was 4.7 percent, there were just 164,000 hires in August.

The metals tariffs were predicted to cost jobs because there are more than ten times as many workers in metals-using industries than in steel and aluminum manufacturing. Economists claimed that the tariffs would cost as many as 146,000 jobs in metals-using industries.

The tariffs have not only defied the doom and gloom predictions when it comes to jobs, they are also defying them when it comes to prices. Prices of goods that require steel and aluminum, from cans of soup to cars, have not risen for consumers.
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2018/10/16/manufacturing-continues-to-boom-in-america-defying-gloomy-tariff-predictions/

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2018, 01:46:30 am »
Here's some more real data, not just conjecture like you linked. @edpc

It’s real data, that actually happened. How is that conjecture?  Besides, read your own material. It says layoffs have declined. It did not say they stopped.  For example, just because someone is hiring in South Carolina, that doesn’t do much for the guy that lives in Oklahoma.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:49:34 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2018, 01:50:54 am »

It’s real data, that actually happened. How is that conjecture?  Besides, read your own material. It says layoffs have declined. It did not say they stopped.  For example, just because someone is hiring in South Carolina, that doesn’t do much for the guy that lives in Oklahoma.
It is not real data you sent before.

It was assessments of what will happen BEFORE the tariffs.

That is conjecture.

Offline edpc

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2018, 02:07:55 am »
It is not real data you sent before.

It was assessments of what will happen BEFORE the tariffs.

That is conjecture.

No, I said that would be the result, if the tariffs were left in place long enough.  Review comment 71.  As it is, the tariffs of been in place since April.  The Bush 43 tariffs were in place for approximately two years. It resulted in a net loss of jobs.

The Bush administration withdrew the tariffs in December 2003, about 21 months after they were imposed, but not without a cost. The Consuming Industries Trade Action Coalition found that 200,000 workers in U.S. manufacturing lost their jobs as a result of the tariffs. For comparison, the entire U.S. steel industry employed 197,000 at the time.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-what-happened-the-last-time-the-us-imposed-tariffs-on-steel-2018-03-08

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2018, 07:00:41 pm »

No, I said that would be the result, if the tariffs were left in place long enough.  Review comment 71.  As it is, the tariffs of been in place since April.  The Bush 43 tariffs were in place for approximately two years. It resulted in a net loss of jobs.

The Bush administration withdrew the tariffs in December 2003, about 21 months after they were imposed, but not without a cost. The Consuming Industries Trade Action Coalition found that 200,000 workers in U.S. manufacturing lost their jobs as a result of the tariffs. For comparison, the entire U.S. steel industry employed 197,000 at the time.

The conjecture is what will happen to the new tariffs deployed by Trump.

The real data so far is little negative effect.

Offline edpc

« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2018, 07:07:20 pm »
The conjecture is what will happen to the new tariffs deployed by Trump.

The real data so far is little negative effect.

Thanks for finally admitting it’s had some negative effect.  If you stand out in the rain for a short time, you get damp.  Stand out there long enough and you get soaking wet.   That’s not conjecture.  It’s fact.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2018, 08:07:23 pm »
FFS

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2018, 08:54:31 pm »

Thanks for finally admitting it’s had some negative effect.  If you stand out in the rain for a short time, you get damp.  Stand out there long enough and you get soaking wet.   That’s not conjecture.  It’s fact.
You are a master at convolution.

Every action has positives and negatives. So far, the tariffs have had more favorable effects than unfavorable effects, as seen by real data.

And talking about the weather does not change that fact.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2018, 08:57:22 pm »
FFS

In case you were wondering.......Ford still blows.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2018, 08:57:58 pm »

Yeah, but I like that.

Offline thackney

« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2018, 09:04:56 pm »

well, some of them do...

Life is fragile, handle with prayer