Author Topic: Oil refiners threaten to sue Trump over ethanol  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Oil refiners threaten to sue Trump over ethanol
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2018, 10:05:20 am »
Let the market decide. <Don't do that>. Cruz was better on this issue than Trump no doubt.

But now we have Democrats who will completely scrap the capitalist system if given the chance. No need to forget that fact.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:04:17 pm by Mod2 »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 02:06:31 pm »
Let the market decide. <Don't do that>. Cruz was better on this issue than Trump no doubt.

But now we have Democrats who will completely scrap the capitalist system if given the chance. No need to forget that fact.
Oh, I haven't forgotten--and all in the name of a process that will go down as one of the greatest scientific black eyes since Piltdown Man.

But that's no reason to join them in their pursuit of government controls, and 15% ethanol will eff up every engine I have. Thankfully, for a mere 60 cents more a gallon, I can get enough non ethanol fuel to blend in and reduce the ethanol content back to less than 10%.  (So why is it more expensive to get fuel without ethanol, when ethanol blending and shipment are so damned expensive to begin with. Charging more to NOT put that garbage in the fuel seems counterintuitive (a fancy word for bassackwards).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:04:54 pm by Sanguine »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 02:19:37 pm »
Oh, I haven't forgotten--and all in the name of a process that will go down as one of the greatest scientific black eyes since Piltdown Man.

But that's no reason to join them in their pursuit of government controls, and 15% ethanol will eff up every engine I have. Thankfully, for a mere 60 cents more a gallon, I can get enough non ethanol fuel to blend in and reduce the ethanol content back to less than 10%.  (So why is it more expensive to get fuel without ethanol, when ethanol blending and shipment are so damned expensive to begin with. Charging more to NOT put that garbage in the fuel seems counterintuitive (a fancy word for bassackwards).

Bassackwards on so many fronts it's hard to know where to start but this is the biggie for me. 

If ALL inputs are considered, it takes 1.4 units of energy to produce 1 unit of energy from corn ethanol!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:23:30 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jpsb

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2018, 02:22:39 pm »
President Trump will likely find himself in court over his Tuesday night decision to allow 15-percent ethanol fuel be sold year-round across the nation, according to the refinery industry's top lobbyist.

Very bad Mr President. 15% will kill all my small engines. You will be hearing from me on this issue.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2018, 03:02:21 pm »
Never forget this.  Never forget.

I hadn't.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2018, 02:16:56 am »
Bassackwards on so many fronts it's hard to know where to start but this is the biggie for me. 

If ALL inputs are considered, it takes 1.4 units of energy to produce 1 unit of energy from corn ethanol!

But . . . but we'll make it up in volume.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2018, 03:56:57 am »
I think I may have an extra '70 Pontiac 350 engine around here somewhere.  Think I'll drop it in my 2008 Ford and start buying leaded gas from the supplier around the corner.  Strictly for racing of course.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2018, 03:59:34 am »
I think I may have an extra '70 Pontiac 350 engine around here somewhere.  Think I'll drop it in my 2008 Ford and start buying leaded gas from the supplier around the corner.  Strictly for racing of course.

Lead pipes for water. Lead gas for burning. This explains a lot about your mental stability. You decorate your birthday cakes with mercury too?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2018, 04:11:13 am »
Lead pipes for water. Lead gas for burning. This explains a lot about your mental stability. You decorate your birthday cakes with mercury too?

Sure, I make the candles with mercury to get a pretty red glow when they're lit.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 04:12:57 am »
Sure, I make the candles with mercury to get a pretty red glow when they're lit.

I didn't know mercury burns. Upon reflection I am glad I don't know that.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 04:16:16 am »
I didn't know mercury burns. Upon reflection I am glad I don't know that.

! No longer available

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2018, 04:26:20 am »
! No longer available

I don't know if my Google Southern Translator is on the fritz but the word "glow" up our way where we speak English doesn't mean an explosion.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2018, 04:34:57 am »
I don't know if my Google Southern Translator is on the fritz but the word "glow" up our way where we speak English doesn't mean an explosion.

You just gotta know how to mix it right.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2018, 04:40:41 am »
You just gotta know how to mix it right.

What's that? 1 part Hg to 5 gallons jet fuel?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2018, 04:43:04 am »
What's that? 1 part Hg to 5 gallons jet fuel?

Gotta have something to slow down the mercury explosion, and you know how hard it is to get jet fuel to burn.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2018, 04:46:07 pm »
Nothing is hotter than a chick talking chemistry.  Any comments on the Arrhenius equation will put me over the edge here.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-