Author Topic: 3 theories behind Nikki Haley’s shocking resignation  (Read 593 times)

Offline corbe

3 theories behind Nikki Haley’s shocking resignation
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:03:30 pm »
3 theories behind Nikki Haley’s shocking resignation

  11:46 am 
  October 9, 2018

In a political world seemingly incapable of being shocked, the resignation of United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley on Tuesday did just that.

The most common reaction upon hearing the news, which Axios’ Jonathan Swan first reported, was “WHAT????” (A senior State Department official told CNN that Haley had only told her staff about her resignation Tuesday morning. Another source familiar with the matter said Haley’s resignation caught national security adviser John Bolton and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo by surprise.)

And that reaction was quickly followed by “WHY???”

The answer to the second question is now the big story. And, in truth, we just don’t totally know yet why Haley, who seemed to be one of the few Trump administration officials able to stay in the good graces of Trump, the international community and establishment Republicans all at once, would decide to simply (and suddenly) call it quits.

Trump, seeking to minimize any damage to himself from the surprise resignation, sat down with his outgoing UN ambassador shortly after the news broke and insisted he a) knew about her plans to leave last week and b) she had made the decision because she had served for two years (actually one year and seven months) and felt like it was time to go. (Haley will leave her job at the end of the year, Trump announced Tuesday.)

“It’s been eight years of intense times,” Haley said of her time as governor of South Carolina and her time in the administration. “And I am a believer in term limits.” She added: “I don’t have anything set on where I am going to go.”

And that might be true! But, the fact that neither Bolton nor Pompeo had any inkling that Haley was preparing to resign casts some doubt on the this-was-all-part-of-the-plan explanation. And, losing an Indian-American woman four weeks before an election and on the heels of a very contentious Supreme Court fight that divided deeply along gender lines suggests is far less than ideal timing for Trump.

So, what else MIGHT be beyond Haley’s shock resignation? Here are a few theories:

1. She got edged out by the likes of Bolton and Pompeo

<..snip..>

https://kpax.com/cnn-us-politics/2018/10/09/3-theories-behind-nikki-haleys-shocking-resignation/

H/T @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: 3 theories behind Nikki Haley’s shocking resignation
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 08:05:01 pm »
Fake news from CNN.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 08:29:51 pm »
Joe Biden said today that he thinks she resigned to go back home and work a 7-11.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:42:51 pm »
Joe Biden said today that he thinks she resigned to go back home and work a 7-11.

He said it with a "Slight Indian Accent"

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:43:51 pm »

Someone else mentioned that these short tenures are not uncommon and they are not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Ambassador_to_the_United_Nations

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 08:43:56 pm »
Me thinks, Mike Pence should resign and nominate Haley to replace him.    :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 08:58:17 pm »
   Haley's just clearing her calendar to run as Cruz's VP in 2020.   :smokin:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 11:15:24 pm »
It's not "shocking" ... burnout always happens in year two.  Working at and with the UN has got to be dreadful.

She may just want to go home.   :shrug:

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 11:21:32 pm »
   Haley's just clearing her calendar to run as Cruz's VP in 2020.   :smokin:

You do make me laugh at times.  Not often....but sometimes.