Author Topic: Live Thread>>Hurricane Michael  (Read 9431 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Live Thread>>Hurricane Michael
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2018, 08:54:46 pm »
Charlie is still fresh in the minds of many Floridians.  They remember how the government kept them from going back to their homes while looters moved freely about their neighborhoods like locusts.

I kind of doubt Charlie had much of an effect on this one.  It's a LONG way from Charlotte Harbor to Panama City.

I suspect that what contributed most is the media's need to play up almost every storm as "historic".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2018, 09:18:07 pm »
I suspect that what contributed most is the media's need to play up almost every storm as "historic".

And yet here it is...

Offline jpsb

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2018, 09:24:47 pm »
I kind of doubt Charlie had much of an effect on this one.  It's a LONG way from Charlotte Harbor to Panama City.

When the national guard starts shooting looters when I might leave, until then I'm staying.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2018, 09:27:11 pm »
When the national guard starts shooting looters when I might leave, until then I'm staying.

...and that was the point I was making.  When government decides to prohibit people from returning to their homes, they are, in effect, shielding looters from people who would shoot them dead.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2018, 09:50:07 pm »
Kitty praying for all those in hurricane Michael’s  path.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2018, 09:56:23 pm »
Kitty praying for all those in hurricane Michael’s  path.

I love that kitten, so I swiped him.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2018, 09:57:46 pm »
Bay Medical Sacred Heart, a hospital just a stone’s throw from the bays at Panama City, reported Wednesday that it had sustained serious damage during the storm: Blown-out windows, a cracked exterior wall and damage to its roof.

But the hospital also reported good news: Its patients were moved to safer areas in the hospital, which has 323 beds.

“Our generators are working and our patients have been migrated to safe areas of the hospital as we further assess the damage,” the hospital said in a statement posted on Facebook. “Our patients are continuing to receive medical care and lunch was served to all patients.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/10/10/hurricane-michael-potentially-catastrophic-storm-begins-battering-florida/?utm_term=.68e2c7afbd47

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2018, 10:07:01 pm »
T
I love that kitten, so I swiped him.

No biggie, he’s a cutie pie. Can you blow him up for everyone?
@Cyber Liberty
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:07:53 pm by Freya »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2018, 10:13:33 pm »
http://orlando-rising.com/more-than-190000-customers-without-power-after-hurricane-michael/

More than 190,000 homes and businesses lost power in the onslaught of Michael, with Bay County taking the brunt, according to the first power-outage release issued shortly before 5 p.m. by the Florida Division of Emergency Management.

In Bay County, where Michael came ashore, more than 95,000 of the 108,000 homes and businesses were without power at 4:35 p.m., according to the division. That means 88 percent of the power customers were without power.

In Bay, most of the lost electricity is provided through Gulf Power, though Duke Energy and local electricity cooperatives account for some.

In three other counties, Liberty, Gilchrist and Gadsden, more than half of the homes and businesses have gone dark, though none of those mostly-rural counties has more than 20,000 customers total.

Statewide, the 192,136 customers without power represents about 1.7 percent of the state’s homes and businesses.

About 265,933 customers in the state were without power as of Wednesday evening, according to PowerOutage.us. https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/10/10/Hurricane-Michael-causes-destruction-flooding-in-Florida/6391539203940/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:17:04 pm by Elderberry »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2018, 10:35:34 pm »
T
No biggie, he’s a cutie pie. Can you blow him up for everyone?
@Cyber Liberty

@Freya

He blows up if you click the pic.  Try it!  I noticed the forum software now shrinks the attached pictures automatically, and when you click them they blow up to full size.
I will NOT comply.

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2018, 10:52:00 pm »
@Freya

He blows up if you click the pic.  Try it!  I noticed the forum software now shrinks the attached pictures automatically, and when you click them they blow up to full size.

Ok. I had donut coffee, and posted it on my Instagram

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2018, 11:28:56 pm »
To the folks in the panhandle who are posting videos and expressing such amazement at the storm's intensity:  they told you not to stay there!

There are a lot of reasons us natives, and other long-time residents, don't leave:
1. Those things can and will turn on a dime. You could be going in a direction you thought was going to be safe and all of a sudden find yourself directly in its path and where you were completely clear.

2. For people in south and central Florida anywhere you can go that is a place to reasonably believe you won't still have a hurricane screaming over the top of you is a 10+ hour drive.  Yes, our state is that long.  You would have to leave at least 2 days before the hurricane is forecast to hit, and as I pointed out above, hurricanes can make a lot of corrections in course in that amount of time.

3. For decades the local news stations have been hyping up the impending death and destruction with very little actual death and destruction.

4. Like Cyber said, we don't want the gov't keeping us from our homes only to let criminals go shopping in them.

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2018, 11:30:25 pm »
USA Today is reporting first person died from hurricane Michael. A Florida Panhandle man was killed by a falling tree, sheriff’s official says.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2018, 11:35:17 pm »
There are a lot of reasons us natives, and other long-time residents, don't leave:
1. Those things can and will turn on a dime. You could be going in a direction you thought was going to be safe and all of a sudden find yourself directly in its path and where you were completely clear.

2. For people in south and central Florida anywhere you can go that is a place to reasonably believe you won't still have a hurricane screaming over the top of you is a 10+ hour drive.  Yes, our state is that long.  You would have to leave at least 2 days before the hurricane is forecast to hit, and as I pointed out above, hurricanes can make a lot of corrections in course in that amount of time.

3. For decades the local news stations have been hyping up the impending death and destruction with very little actual death and destruction.

4. Like Cyber said, we don't want the gov't keeping us from our homes only to let criminals go shopping in them.

That's a 10 hour drive if traffic flows smoothly, which it most certainly does not in an evac.  More like >24 hours of slow and go, passing gas stations that are out of gas.  I wouldn't trade places with Floridians.  Nothing happens here.  No earthquakes, no hurricanes.  The most I'll see at the Castle is high winds.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2018, 11:50:17 pm »

5. Most of you can just put wheels on your houses if they blow away and tow them back to your property.

« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2018, 11:50:58 pm »
That's a 10 hour drive if traffic flows smoothly, which it most certainly does not in an evac.  More like >24 hours of slow and go, passing gas stations that are out of gas.  I wouldn't trade places with Floridians.  Nothing happens here.  No earthquakes, no hurricanes.  The most I'll see at the Castle is high winds.

FL LEO does an outstanding job keeping traffic flowing during evacs.  Some gas stations are out of gas, most simply shut down to let their employees be safe (not a big deal, since anyone with even half a brain filled up their gas cans about a week before the storm just in case).  If you can't get out of mainland FL in 10 hours, you done screwed up.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2018, 11:51:11 pm »

McCain and Flake happen there. 'Nuff said.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2018, 11:57:01 pm »

Yep, I evacuated out of an apartment away from Floyd, back around 2000, which was a monster Cat 4 at one point screaming towards the east coast.  It was still a day out and the weather was already horrible and the roads were worse.  Took double the time to get to the west coast.  And then that bastard did us a solid and stayed off shore and went up to Cape Fear I think.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2018, 12:01:50 am »
FL LEO does an outstanding job keeping traffic flowing during evacs.  Some gas stations are out of gas, most simply shut down to let their employees be safe (not a big deal, since anyone with even half a brain filled up their gas cans about a week before the storm just in case).  If you can't get out of mainland FL in 10 hours, you done screwed up.

Nonsense, it's a 6+ hour trip from Miami to Kingsland, GA on a great day.  Try making it to Savannah from Key West, which is another 3.5 hours south of Miami (again on a great day), in 10 hours.  And Kingsland is the first little town just inside the Georgia border.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2018, 12:05:09 am »
5. Most of you can just put wheels on your houses if they blow away and tow them back to your property.

And some of them you can just drive, no need to even tow.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2018, 12:14:24 am »
And some of them you can just drive, no need to even tow.

Don't panic. DeSoto is on Kennedy right now telling me he is all over this hurricane shit. All is well.

« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2018, 12:25:33 am »
Nonsense, it's a 6+ hour trip from Miami to Kingsland, GA on a great day.  Try making it to Savannah from Key West, which is another 3.5 hours south of Miami (again on a great day), in 10 hours.  And Kingsland is the first little town just inside the Georgia border.

Notice I said mainland FL.

If you can't make it from Miami to Kingsland in 10 hours, you done f'ed up and waited too long.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2018, 12:28:04 am »
Notice I said mainland FL.

If you can't make it from Miami to Kingsland in 10 hours, you done f'ed up and waited too long.

Nonsense.  During evac you can't even make it from the south side to the north side of Miami in an hour.

« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2018, 12:29:26 am »
Nonsense.  During evac you can't even make it from the south side to the north side of Miami in an hour.

True, if you done f'ed up and waited too long.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2018, 12:29:57 am »

I don't know about anyone else, but this bitch seems to know what she is talking about.