Author Topic: Bose’s over-the-counter hearing aid is first to earn FDA approval  (Read 1156 times)

Offline endicom

Digital Trends
Eric Brackett
Oct. 6, 2018

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Bose approval to sell a hearing aid that can be used without the assistance of a medical professional. Hearing aids are nothing new, but this is the first one that will allow users to “fit, program, and control the hearing aid on their own, without assistance from a health care provider,’ Bose says in a news release.

The FDA’s report says that more than 37 million Americans suffer from hearing loss which can range in severity from “a little trouble” to “deaf.” One’s hearing can be impaired due to a number of factors including aging, exposure to extremely loud noises, or certain medical conditions. The Bose device is aimed to help those who suffer from mild to moderate hearing impairment.

More... https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/fda-approves-bose-hearing-aid/

Offline Idiot

Re: Bose’s over-the-counter hearing aid is first to earn FDA approval
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 01:59:52 am »
Wow...this is too cool.  Thanks for posting this.  My dear 88 year old mom will be needing a hearing aid soon....they are a rip off.  $2000 for ONE....INSANITY!

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 11:29:04 am »
Wow...this is too cool.  Thanks for posting this.  My dear 88 year old mom will be needing a hearing aid soon....they are a rip off.  $2000 for ONE....INSANITY!

Yeah, this should help drive down the cost. But she should be checked for simple blockage like earwax, too.

@mrpotatohead
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 11:30:18 am by endicom »

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 12:19:57 pm »
Very interesting.  I wonder what the MSRP will be for this.  Bose products generally aren't on the lower end of the price spectrum.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline rustynail

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 12:31:32 pm »
Check out eargo a relative bargain for 'only' $2400 a pair.

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 12:46:55 pm »

I'm not sure but think this thing is adjustable and for more than volume. If so then you could adjust it to your likes and needs.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 12:59:57 pm »
Hope it comes with a bluetooth. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 09:26:28 pm »
Very interesting.  I wonder what the MSRP will be for this.  Bose products generally aren't on the lower end of the price spectrum.
Don't worry, the Chinese will have an affordable exact clone with therty days of the Bose product hitting the shelves.

Online corbe

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 09:45:54 pm »
  50 years of Women yelling at me caused my hearing to deteriorate rather rapidly, prematurely.   
  I'm in no hurry to fix that symptom since the problem still exists.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 11:45:42 am »

I have hearing aids -- they are indeed expensive. But in my case, I would be leery of buying hearing aids over the counter,  I'm almost completely deaf in my right ear, so a hearing aid in that ear is useless.  The system I have now consists of a traditional hearing aid in my left ear plus a transmitter in my right ear.  The transmitter picks up sounds on my right and transmits them to the hearing aid in my left ear.  So if you are sitting on my right and talking to me, I hear you in my left ear.  But a system like mine costs a fortune.  Not sure if a Bose system would work as well for me. 

But I have to say that good, well fitted hearing aids are a godsend and well worth the investment.  For one thing, I don't have to blast the tv in order to hear it.  People don't have to repeat themseles when talking to me and they don't have to shout.  Hearing aids aren't perfect -- your mother won't get back the hearing she had as a kid -- but it's a heckuva lot better than not hearing at all.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 12:58:08 pm »
Don't worry, the Chinese will have an affordable exact clone with therty days of the Bose product hitting the shelves.

Probably.  Apparently also with an extra spy microchip embedded into the hardware.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 06:07:15 pm »
Probably.  Apparently also with an extra spy microchip embedded into the hardware.
And they will, the Chinese, still hear better than the people using it. This seems like a nice product for people with lower levels of hearing loss, but is worthless for people like me with significant or almost total hearing loss. Aside from the tune-able feature, as far as I am concerned it falls into the same category as the hearing amplifiers hawked on TV.