Author Topic: Saudi Arabian Crisis Live Thread: Latest Updates  (Read 12315 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Saudi Arabian Crisis
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2018, 09:40:54 am »
Erdogan, Saudi King discuss Khashoggi case over phone
Turkish President Recep Tayip Erdogan stresses forming joint working group on missing journalist

By Merve Yildizalp

ANKARA

In a Sunday night phone call, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz discussed the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Erdogan stressed forming a joint working group to probe the case, said a Turkish presidential source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to media.

Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist and columnist for The Washington Post, has gone missing since he entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.

Read more at: https://www.aa.com.tr/en/middle-east/erdogan-saudi-king-discuss-khashoggi-case-over-phone/1281706

Offline TomSea

The Khashoggi case: Deeper than it seems
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2018, 09:48:27 am »
The Khashoggi case: Deeper than it seems

We have witnessed many assassinations and abductions targeting journalists in wars, conflict areas or during corruption or mafia-related cases. But the latest case of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi is unprecedented.

Briefly, Washington Post columnist Khashoggi entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul last week to get documents for his forthcoming marriage but hasn't left the building since then. This is an incident that cannot be described solely as a scandal. Such an instance has not been seen in the history of politics and diplomacy. The only shady point is not the consulate. It has been revealed that a 15-person team arrived in Istanbul on the day of the incident with two private jets that departed from Saudi Arabia and returned the same day. This information hints at the presence of a large-scale operation. Time will show the motivations behind this operation on global and regional levels, but there are a couple of questions that need to be answered immediately for now.

The most important question is undoubtedly what happened to Khashoggi. There are many allegations suggesting that he was killed inside the Consulate or abducted. Turkey's National Intelligence Organization (MÄ°T) and security forces are currently conducting a very thorough investigation by considering every single detail. But it must be stressed that before entering the Consulate, Khashoggi expressed his concerns to his fiancee as if he sensed what would happen to him: "If I don't go out, inform the Turkish-Arab Countries Association officials and the AK Party[Justice and Development Party]Vice Chairman Yasin Aktay." His remarks hint that Khashoggi was already suspecting that the opposite side was planning some moves against him.

Read more at: https://www.dailysabah.com/columns/mahmut_ovur/2018/10/15/the-khashoggi-case-deeper-than-it-seems

Offline TomSea

Re: The Khashoggi case: Deeper than it seems
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2018, 10:24:25 am »
I think this is the column where he surmises, the Saudis should find rogue elements did this and some Saudi party, that is someone important to take the fall. If Khashoggi was killed, could such a person be executed in Saudi Arabia back? That would seem just.

Soner Cagaptay
‏Verified account @SonerCagaptay

Soner Cagaptay Retweeted ANADOLU AGENCY (ENG)

Erdogan wants to give Saudis an exit out of #Khashoggi case, hoping the Saudi king/crown prince will blame "rogue elements" for the alleged murder, then throwing someone important under the bus. This would let Erdogan walk away looking good & prevent rupture in Turkey-Saudi ties

https://twitter.com/SonerCagaptay/status/1051683195052281856

I read Trump knew the millionaire or billionaire late cousin of Jamal Khashoggi, Adnan Koshoggi (arms dealer) and even bought a yacht from him.  And then, they are related to Dodi Fayed who was seeing Princess Diane. Small world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adnan_Khashoggi
https://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/editorial-features/trump-princess-inside-donald-trumps-lavish-86m-superyacht--34381

Here, Turkish newspaper Daily Sabah opines on whether the Saudis had a dress rehearsal with a black van allegedly used in this escapade. That they checked to see if it would fit in the Saudi consul garage.

Ragıp Soylu
‏Verified account @ragipsoylu
14m14 minutes ago

#Khashoggi updates:

• Turkish police to search Saudi Consulate this afternoon
• Positive readouts by Turkish/Saudi officials after Erdogan/King phone call
• US officials gave Tuesday deadline to Saudis for proper explanation
• Allegations of cover at the Consulate

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1051776287256264705

I hope they let them in, I don't think they have yet.

One statement said, that 2 rooms were repainted. Who knows though? There's probably lots of disinformation about as one person said.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:35:44 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Saudi Arabian Crisis
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2018, 05:27:08 pm »
Trump Says Putin 'Probably' Involved In Killings; Hints Mattis May Leave

U.S. President Donald Trump said in a television interview that he believes Russian President Vladimir Putin “probably” has been involved in assassinations and reiterated the assertion that Moscow meddled in U.S. politics.

Trump also said he does not know whether U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is planning to step down but that he sees the four-star general as “sort of a Democrat” who just might leave.

The comments came in a prerecorded interview with CBS television’s 60 Minutes program that aired on October 14. The wide-ranging discussion also touched on North Korea, U.S. hurricane relief efforts, the missing Saudi journalist in Turkey, and climate change.

Read more at: https://www.rferl.org/a/trump-defense-chief-mattis-future-could-be-leaving/29543146.html
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:51:05 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Saudi Arabian Crisis
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2018, 08:30:37 pm »
Okay, as I say below, I am posting only threads I started in this special catch-all thread about the Khashoggi crisis. I won't move anyone thread started by someone else here unless requested. The board is possibly getting to crowded with the Saudi problems of the last 2 weeks.

Monday, October 15
Turkish prosecutors find 'evidence of killing'
Turkish authorities say prosecutors have found evidence that supports suspicions Khashoggi was killed in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

A source at the Attorney General's office, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Al Jazeera "they have found evidence that supports their suspicions that Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate," our correspondent Jamal Elshayyal reported from Istanbul.

"This is a significant step forward after several days of an impasse," he said.

Continued: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/jamal-khashoggi-case-latest-updates-181010133542286.html
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:48:43 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Re: Turkish prosecutors find 'evidence of killing'
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2018, 08:38:17 pm »
November 11, 2017
Lebanese Prime Minister al-Hariri ‘kidnapped’ by Saudis, country’s president says
By Ellen Francis   Reuters

Lebanon‘s president called on Saudi Arabia on Saturday to clarify why Lebanese Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri could not leave the kingdom and return home.

A senior Lebanese official said President Michel Aoun told foreign ambassadors that Hariri, who resigned suddenly while in Saudi Arabia a week ago, had been “kidnapped” and should benefit from immunity as prime minister.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3856231/lebanon-prime-minister-kidnapped-saudi-arabia/

A year ago, Saudi Arabia had this episode. It's also thought that they are fairly brutal in the war in Yemen, so it looks like someone is going to have to rein them in.  I know, people talked about the above alleged kidnapping but it didn't make much of a stir. It was as if he just couldn't leave the country.

Some stories that are coming out, still, could be fake news. It might be easier to get rumor-mongering out there in some of these countries. So, I'd be careful until we have solid confirmations.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:51:13 pm by TomSea »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2018, 09:05:19 pm »
So am I to take it, the new Crown Prince is not a gentle, peaceful man, destined to lead SA toward a modern future?

Taqiyya,

is patient. The West is gullible.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2018, 10:34:07 pm »
Truth_seeker wonders:
"So am I to take it, the new Crown Prince is not a gentle, peaceful man, destined to lead SA toward a modern future? "

Heh.
And to think there were people (probably even some right in this forum) that believed that...!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The Khashoggi case: Deeper than it seems
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2018, 10:40:30 pm »
Wasn't this guy Khashoggi a sympathizer with the muslim brotherhood?

If that's the case, the Saudis did the world a favor by killin' him.

Offline TomSea

Saudi Arabian Crisis
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2018, 04:45:00 am »
Okay, here is a catch all for the Saudi Arabian news stories on Khashoggi. For now, I am stickying the threads I started here but nobody else's.  I don't want to invade anyone else's spaces. So, all discussion is welcomed in those threads or here.  I won't post anyone else's here to repeat unless requested. I think one thread on Putin accidentally got merged.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:25:39 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Re: Saudi Arabian Crisis Live Thread: Latest Updates
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2018, 05:25:10 am »
Saudi Crown Prince meets Russian envoy to Syria in Riyadh

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/gulf/2018/10/15/Saudi-Crown-Prince-meets-Russian-envoy-to-Syria-in-Riyadh.html

If we skipped out on the Saudis? It's sort of the same reason we have skipped out on Turkey. For that so-called coup, Turkey has imprisoned many people and I think some have died for say, lack of medical attention. Not so much that they personally killed someone though, that may well have happened as well.

Khashoggi is very high profile.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2018, 09:18:45 am »
Even if Saudi Arabia is behind Jamal Khashoggi's murder, experts say sanctions against Riyadh could backfire
Rosie Perper

Saudi Arabia is reportedly preparing to admit that Jamal Khashoggi, a journalist and prominent Saudi critic who disappeared on October 2, was killed as a result of a botched interrogation effort.

The move would mark a shifting response from the Royal Court, which previously asserted — without proof — that Khashoggi had left the Saudi Consulate. Depending on the facts that emerge, any negative action Saudi Arabia may have taken could trigger retaliation from the US in the form of sanctions.

But experts say slapping sanctions on Riyadh could be an difficult option for the Trump administration, "given the size of the economic ties between Washington and Riyadh."

Sanctions on Riyadh could ultimately backfire, as the Kingdom holds major clout in the global economy, as well as vested interests in the US economy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/will-donald-trump-us-impose-sanctions-on-saudi-arabia-over-jamal-khashoggi-2018-10

US 'strategic interests' are likely to shape response to Saudi Arabia, expert says

Harini V

Despite reports suggesting the Saudi Arabian government was involved in the disappearance of U.S.-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Washington is likely to prioritize maintaining its relations with Riyadh, according to a think tank expert.

Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and critic of powerful Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, vanished two weeks ago after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to retrieve documents. Saudi Arabia has so far denied any wrongdoing.

NBC News reported on Monday that Riyadh is considering a plan to say Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate, potentially pointing to rogue operatives in an interrogation gone wrong.

Read more at: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/16/us-strategic-interests-may-shape-response-to-saudi-arabia.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2018, 02:26:54 pm »
Buzzfeed article on some "Soldier of Fortune" types allegedly hired out as assassins in Yemen:

American Mercenaries Were Hired To Assassinate Politicians In The Middle East
“There was a targeted assassination program in Yemen. I was running it. We did it.”
Headshot of Aram Roston
Aram Roston

BuzzFeed News

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/aramroston/mercenaries-assassination-us-yemen-uae-spear-golan-dahlan

I can relate this a bit to the Turkish situation. It's sort of an article for mature audiences. I'm not positive if it should be posted. I welcome any feedback.

--------

In other news, Turkish police today will enter the residence home of the Saudi consul general which is relatively nearby.

Middle East Eye Breaking News:

'Certain evidence' of Khashoggi's murder found in consulate: Report

Source tells MEE the consulate has been meticulously searched, with particular attention focused on soil samples from the garden
Tuesday 16 October 2018 14:08 UTC

“Certain evidence” of Jamal Khashoggi’s murder has been found by police in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, a high-level official told the Associated Press on Tuesday.

The Turkish official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, did not elaborate on the evidence found.

On Monday a team of Turkish investigators and forensics experts entered the consulate 13 days after the prominent Saudi journalist was last seen walking into the building.

Read more at: https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/certain-evidence-khashoggis-murder-found-consulate-report-204229259

Well, well, in the soil.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2018, 03:30:07 am »
Sen. Graham: Saudi crown prince ‘has got to go’ after Khashoggi's disappearance
Sen. Lindsey Graham said Tuesday on Fox News that he wants to see Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman forced out of his position after the mysterious disappearance of activist Jamal Khashoggi.

“This guy has got to go,” Graham, R-S.C., said on “Fox and Friends.” “Saudi Arabia, if you’re listening: There are a lot of good people you can choose, but MBS has tainted your country and tainted himself.”

He added, “The MBS figure is, to me, toxic. He can never be a world leader on the world stage.”

Khashoggi vanished two weeks ago during a visit to the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. Turkish officials said they fear Khashoggi was killed and dismembered inside the consulate. Saudis have called the allegations “baseless.”

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sen-graham-saudi-crown-prince-'has-got-to-go'-after-khashoggis-disappearance/ar-BBOsJ9a?OCID=ansmsnnews11

I tend to agree. Rubio has spoken out. We will see who else does.

Sen. Marco Rubio: Reported answers from Saudi Arabia about Khashoggi only raises more questions

By Gabriella Muñoz - The Washington Times - Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Sen. Marco Rubio said Tuesday he is not ready to accept the answer that Saudi Arabia is reportedly preparing this week over the disappearance of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.

Multiple media reports surfaced Monday night that noted the Saudi Arabia kingdom was preparing to acknowledge that Mr. Khashoggi was killed, but it may claim that it was not at the government’s order.

For Mr. Rubio, Florida Republican and a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, that reported reasoning will not be enough and only spurs more questions.

Read more at: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/16/marco-rubio-reported-answers-from-saudi-arabia-abo/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:33:33 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2018, 03:39:24 am »
Sports Illustrated, the Wrestling Federation apparently, has quite a stake in Saudi Arabia:
    wrestling

Senators Urge WWE to Reconsider Relationship with Saudi Arabia After Journalist’s Disappearance

The strongest rebuke came from New Jersey Democrat Bob Menendez.

“Private enterprise is private enterprise, different than a governmental entity,” Menendez told IJR. “but because [Linda McMahon] is part of the president’s cabinet, it falls into the grey area where the administration really should give it some thought and maybe even prevail upon them not doing it.”

One of the senators representing WWE’s home state had similar thoughts.

“I’d hope that they would be rethinking their relationship with the kingdom especially with respect to events coming up in the next weeks like [Crown Jewel],” Democrat Chris Murphy of Connecticut told IJR.

Read more at: https://www.si.com/wrestling/2018/10/12/wwe-saudi-arabia-senator-lindsay-graham-chris-murphy-jamal-khashoggi-disappearance

Offline TomSea

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2018, 02:41:32 pm »
Saudis Plan to Pin Khashoggi Slaying on ‘Rogue’ General
Kimberly Dozier, Spencer Ackerman10.16.18 6:12 PM ET

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is starting to float a trial-balloon explanation for its apparent slaying of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, The Daily Beast has learned, in hopes of escaping the consequences of an episode that has shaken whatever geopolitical confidence existed in Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

According to two sources familiar with the version of events circulating throughout diplomatic circles in Washington, the Saudis will place blame for Khashoggi’s murder on a Saudi two-star general new to intelligence work. That line is in keeping with President Donald Trump’s Twitter-borne speculation that “rogue killers” may be responsible for whatever happened to Khashoggi inside Saudi Arabia’s Istanbul consulate on Oct. 2. Three other former U.S. officials did not have direct knowledge of the inchoate Saudi line but told The Daily Beast they expect Riyadh to blame a fall guy.

The Saudis are considering admitting that the general received approval from the Crown Prince to interrogate Khashoggi on the suspicion that he was a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, the Islamist political faction whose rise during the Arab Spring prompted the Saudis and their allies in the United Arab Emirates to sponsor a wave of reaction. They also are considering intimating that Khashoggi received money from Gulf rival Qatar.

More: https://www.thedailybeast.com/saudis-plan-to-pin-khashoggi-slaying-on-rogue-general?source=twitter&via=desktop

Segment on Rush Limbaugh was informative:

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2018/10/16/bankrupt-left-wants-to-pin-khashoggi-murder-on-trump/

Rush said the author of this column from Spectator is an expert on these kinds of things:

What the media aren’t telling you about Jamal Khashoggi
The dissident’s fate says a lot about Saudi Arabia and the rise of the mobster state
John R. Bradley
https://spectator.us/2018/10/jamal-khashoggi/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2018, 03:02:08 pm »
But despite these assurances, allegations against the Saudis are mounting, with a lurid account published Wednesday by pro-government Turkish newspaper Yeni Safak of Khashoggi's alleged slaying just the latest such example. The newspaper said it has heard an audio recording of Khashoggi’s murder in which Saudi Consul General Mohammed al-Otaibi could be heard on the tape telling those allegedly torturing Khashoggi: "Do this outside; you’re going to get me in trouble." It said one of the torturers replied: "Shut up if you want to live when you return to (Saudi) Arabia."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/10/17/jamal-khashoggi-new-claims-over-how-saudi-journalist-allegedly-killed/1667973002/
Passport scans show Saudis accused by Turkey of killing writer Jamal Khashoggi
by Josh Lederman / Oct. 16, 2018 / 7:25 PM CDT / Updated 5:27 AM CDT
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/passport-scans-show-saudis-accused-turkey-killing-writer-jamal-khashoggi-n920971

Within a week or so, they had suspects. I guess, the Turk law enforcement is actually fairly good in this department.
EXCLUSIVE: Seven of bin Salman's bodyguards among Khashoggi suspects
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/khashoggi-mohammed-bin-salman-saudi-arabia-suspects-969185217

Best reporting right now, is from Middle East Eye on all of this. They've gotten details of the story before others.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:19:22 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2018, 11:45:54 pm »
Prominent evangelical leader on Khashoggi crisis: let’s not risk “$100 billion worth of arms sales”
https://www.vox.com/2018/10/17/17990268/pat-robertson-khashoggi-saudi-arabia-trump-crisis?fbclid=IwAR0A67hLxJEjtvrifjpaYQv-3kGIkLs86ChurYqZp9YHC9jom-UiRkSf4iM

Doesn't mean it is wrong because Vox published it. Who doesn't think Russia or China or other countries too, would take that deal??

Offline TomSea

Pompeo warns Saudi prince over Khashoggi, source says
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2018, 02:09:54 am »
Pompeo warns Saudi prince over Khashoggi, source says

(CNN) - Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's smiling photo op with Saudi Arabia's crown prince disguised the reality of a blunt, tough meeting in which the top US diplomat told the royal his future as king depends on his handling of Jamal Khashoggi's suspected murder.

A source familiar with Pompeo's Tuesday meeting with Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman tells CNN that the smiling photo-op between the two should not be read as an indication that the meeting was friendly.

Instead, Pompeo told bin Salman in no uncertain terms that he had to "own" the situation, and "that every fact is going to get out," said the source, who added that the smiles between the two men ended when the photo op did.

Read more at: https://www.ksat.com/news/international/pompeo-warns-saudi-prince-over-khashoggi-source-says

Offline TomSea

HuffPo:

How The Khashoggi Scandal Looks When You've Been Bombed By Saudi Arabia For Years
By Akbar Shahid Ahmed
WORLD NEWS

10/17/2018 08:06 pm ET

The journalist’s disappearance triggered a massive global backlash against Saudi Arabia. Its bloody war in Yemen never has.

Global media and international decision-makers, right up to the president of the United States, have spent more than a week talking about what happened to missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi and what it means for human rights and Saudi Arabia’s long-standing foreign relationships. Radhya Almutawakel has stayed focused on her own work in Yemen: carefully documenting how Saudi actions there have claimed thousands of lives, often with the aid of American weapons.

“We can’t deny that there is a sourness inside all of us, that Yemenis have been dying for years, thousands of them, and millions starving, and the reaction is not as strong as in this case,” she told HuffPost.

Read more at: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jamal-khashoggi-saudi-arabia-yemen_us_5bc7a461e4b0a8f17ee8e950

Offline TomSea

The Latest: Washington Post publishes new Khashoggi column
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2018, 02:13:05 am »
The Latest: Washington Post publishes new Khashoggi column

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — The Latest on the disappearance of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist who went missing after entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul earlier this month (all times local):

3:45 a.m.

The Washington Post has published a new column by Jamal Khashoggi in which he warns that governments in the Middle East “have been given free rein to continue silencing the media at an increasing rate.”

The Post published the column Wednesday, more than two weeks after Khashoggi was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. Turkish officials say he was killed by Saudi agents. The Saudi government has denied it.

Read more at: https://apnews.com/6c5335f334064d6f8c272e8d93bd4b02

Offline TomSea

Saudi Arabia transfers $100 million to U.S. on day of Pompeo visit to discuss missing journalist
John Hudson

The United States received a payment of $100 million from Saudi Arabia on Tuesday, the same day Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrived in Riyadh to discuss the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a State Department official confirmed Wednesday amid global calls for answers in the case.

Saudi Arabia publicly pledged the payment to support U.S. stabilization efforts in northeastern Syria in August, but questions persisted about when and if Saudi officials would come through with the money.

The timing of the transfer, first reported by The New York Times, raised questions about a potential payoff as Riyadh seeks to manage the blowback over allegations that Saudi agents were responsible for Khashoggi's disappearance. The State Department denied any connection between the payment and Pompeo's discussions with Saudi officials about Khashoggi, a Washington Post contributing columnist.

Read more at: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-saudi-arabia-payment-20181017-story.html

Offline TomSea

Trump campaign veterans were paid $5.4 million by Saudi Arabia for doing virtually nothing
Heather Timmons

Saudi Arabia’s influence in the US is being scrutinized after the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul.

One of ways that influence has been felt: a rush of lobbying dollars. The kingdom spent more than $19 million with Washington lobbying groups from the beginning of 2017 until now, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

Topping that list is Sonoran Policy Group—a lobbying firm headed by Robert Stryk, an Oregon winery owner and West Coast advisor to the Trump campaign—which was essentially paid $5.4 million by the Saudi government to do nothing. The no-strings payout was a happy accident for the firm, one that happened because of Saudi Arabia’s political upheaval, rather than anything Sonoran did specifically.

Read more at: https://qz.com/1424637/saudi-arabia-paid-trump-campaign-veterans-5-4-million/

@Once-Ler  You might find this article of interest.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:30:33 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Saudi Targeting of Yemen is Worse than Khashoggi’s Disappearance
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2018, 02:32:45 am »
This Patrick Cockburn is pretty far-out there. But just posting for balance. Some of this might inadvertently, be pro-Russian propaganda stuff, which I try to stay away from.

Saudi Targeting of Yemen is Worse than Khashoggi’s Disappearance
Patrick Cockburn • October 12, 2018

The plot to supposedly murder Jamal Khashoggi, as apparently proved by Turkish audio and video evidence shown to US officials, is a grizzly mixture of savagery and stupidity: Jack the Ripper meets Inspector Clouseau. Neither element is surprising because violent overreaction to minor threats is a traditional feature of dictatorial rule. As seems to be the case with Saudi Arabia today, Iraq under Saddam Hussein made immense efforts to eliminate exiled critics who posed no danger to the regime.

It is the purpose of such alleged assassinations and kidnappings to not only silence dissident voices however obscure, but to also intimidate all opponents at home and abroad by showing that even a hint of criticism will be suppressed with maximum force. But it is in the nature of dictators that their judgement is unbalanced because they never hear opinions contrary to their own. Iraq invaded Iran in 1980 and Kuwait in 1990 with disastrous results. Saudi Arabia started its war in Yemen in 2015, with similarly catastrophic results, and now appears to think that it can get away with brazenly assassinating Khashoggi, as apparently proved by Turkish investigators. Saudi Arabia firmly denies any involvement in Khashoggi’s disappearance and says he left the consulate safely that afternoon.

It is important to watch how long the torrent of criticism of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Saudi Arabia will last. President Trump has been muted in his comments, emphasising the need to keep on terms with the Saudis because of the $110bn contract to sell them arms. Some of those most accustomed to kowtowing to Gulf monarchs, like Tony Blair, are comically reluctant to criticise Saudi Arabia despite the compelling evidence of the murder produced by Turkey. The best Blair can do is to say that the issue should be investigated and explained by Saudi Arabia “because otherwise it runs completely contrary to the process of modernisation”. Even for Blair this is surely a new low, and it could also be a dispiriting straw in the wind, suggesting that political elites in the US and UK will not be shocked for long and criticism will be confined to the alleged killing of Khashoggi.

Read more at: http://www.unz.com/pcockburn/saudi-targeting-of-yemen-is-worse-than-khashoggis-disappearance/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:34:03 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Turkey’s justice minister calls on public to ‘ignore leaks’ in Khashoggi case

Turkish Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gül called on the public to ignore any leaked information in the case of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Several news outlets have released reports quoting anonymous official sources who claim to have found breaking evidence in the case, however, no concrete evidence has surfaced indicating any information about who is behind Khashoggi’s disappearance.

This includes false stories about a group of 15 Saudi tourists who were accused of being government agents sent to kill Khashoggi, and stories about how his Apple watch revealed “recordings” indicating that he was tortured and killed. Both claims were falsified with a series of evidence and analyses.

Read more at: https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/gulf/2018/10/18/Turkey-s-justice-minister-calls-on-public-to-ignore-leaks-in-Khashoggi-case.html