Author Topic: Army Veteran Withdraws from Kansas City Mayor Campaign to Focus on Depression and PTSD  (Read 1449 times)

Online mountaineer

Jason Kander, army veteran, former Missouri secretary of state, and current Kansas City, Mo., mayoral hopeful, announced on Tuesday that he was withdrawing his candidacy. The reason for his withdrawal has sparked messages of support and kindness from people who want to see more attention paid to mental health awareness.

Kander, a Democrat who was seen by many as the favorite to win the 2019 election, issued a statement on his website and his Facebook page announcing his decision to withdraw and to instead focus on his treatment for depression and PTSD.

Kander served on a four-month tour in Afghanistan in 2006 as an army intelligence officer, investigating activities of al-Qaida and the Taliban. He told himself that he couldn’t “have PTSD … because [he] didn’t earn it.”  ...

Rest of story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline rustynail

Kander, a Democrat .....

Online mountaineer

Jason Kander ends campaign for Kansas City mayor to focus on depression, PTSD
By Steve Vockrodt, Bill Turque And Mike Hendricks
Kansas City Star
October 02, 2018 01:43 PM

Jason Kander, citing depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, is dropping out of the Kansas City mayor’s race.

Kander posted a message on his campaign website and Facebook page saying that in the 11 years since leaving Afghanistan as an Army intelligence officer, he has experienced depression, nightmares and suicidal thoughts. He said he needed to abandon the mayoral race, in which he was seen as a front-runner to win the 2019 contest, to focus on his mental health.

“Instead of dealing with these issues, I’ve always tried to find a way around them,” Kander said. “Most recently, I thought that if I could come home and work for the city I love so much as its mayor, I could finally solve my problems. I thought if I focused exclusively on service to my neighbors in my hometown, that I could fill the hole inside of me. But it’s just getting worse.”  ...
More

Joe Biden weighs in:
‘You are saving lives’: Joe Biden joins outpouring of support for Jason Kander
By Eric Adler
October 02, 2018 03:08 PM

Only minutes after Jason Kander announced he was dropping out of Kansas City’s mayoral race because of war-related PTSD and depression, public reaction on social media was swift and sympathetic, including a message from former Vice President Joe Biden.

“Jason — public service takes many forms, and bravely stepping forward today is exactly that. By sharing your story, you are saving lives. Others will get the help they need because of you,” Biden tweeted Tuesday. ...  KC Star
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline rustynail

PTSD has been politicized and cheapened.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yes, it has.  Even for those who actually earned their PTSD, it has been expanded to cover any and all mental problems.  Have trouble sleeping?  It's obviously PTSD even though you've always had trouble sleeping.  Feel an urge to do something anti-social?  Must be PTSD.  And, now all vets have it and are dangerous and have hair triggers.   **nononono*

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I knew he was a Democrat because they were calling him "courageous" on MSNBC.

Offline dfwgator

George Carlin said it best

"Shell Shock!"
! No longer available