Author Topic: O'Rourke offers blue vision for red Texas during Nelson show  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

O'Rourke offers blue vision for red Texas during Nelson show
« on: September 30, 2018, 01:42:43 pm »
O'Rourke offers blue vision for red Texas during Nelson show
Times Union, Sep 30, 2018, Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Democratic Texas Senate candidate Beto O'Rouke rallied thousands with Willie Nelson on Saturday night, offering an openly liberal vision for the country's largest conservative state and vowing that his campaign that has shunned outside political support can topple Republican Ted Cruz in November.

Taking an open-air stage in Texas' progressive-minded capital city, O'Rourke said he wanted to appeal to voters from both parties and independents but called for universal health care and gay rights, warned of the ills of climate change and switched to his fluent Spanish to denounce President Donald Trump's calls to wall off the U.S.-Mexico border. He also decried the federal government's war on drugs, saying it disproportionately targets minorities and the poor.

"People of the future are counting on us while we can still get this right," O'Rourke said of changing the direction of Texas, where a Democrat hasn't won statewide office since 1994. Despite refusing donations from political action committees, O'Rourke has enjoyed monster fundraising that has outpaced Cruz. He said that's allowed him to focus on "people and that's how we win this election."

After Nelson took the stage, O'Rourke sang backup to the iconic hit "On the Road Again" while the crowd cheered, many wearing T-shirts or waving signs bearing the candidate's name.

More:  https://www.timesunion.com/news/texas/article/Concert-with-Willie-Nelson-shows-O-Rourke-s-13268332.php

Re: O'Rourke offers blue vision for red Texas during Nelson show
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 01:43:08 pm »
Is there enough "normal" Texas to overtake Austin?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 02:03:09 pm »

Yes @Right_in_Virginia!  MORE than enough.  We've been doing that for years!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 02:22:15 pm »
Yes @Right_in_Virginia!  MORE than enough.  We've been doing that for years!

Thanks @Bigun   Whew .... and good news.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 03:17:42 pm »
Beatoff would be a fine King of Austin.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 12:31:28 pm »

@Right_in_Virginia

Of course there is.  That is the reason no democrat has been elected in ANY statewide election since 1994.  Not one, in any statewide office.  What other state can make that claim?

Texas Democrats shut out of statewide office longer than Democrats in other states
https://www.politifact.com/texas/article/2012/sep/26/texas-democrats-have-lost-statewide-elections-long/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online rustynail

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 12:53:06 pm »
Beatoff would be a fine King of Austin.
Great nickname.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 01:45:26 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

Of course there is.  That is the reason no democrat has been elected in ANY statewide election since 1994.  Not one, in any statewide office.  What other state can make that claim?

Texas Democrats shut out of statewide office longer than Democrats in other states
https://www.politifact.com/texas/article/2012/sep/26/texas-democrats-have-lost-statewide-elections-long/
And the last time any Democrat got more votes than a Republican for President was in 1976 with the Southern boy Carter.  That was two generations ago.

Texas learned its lesson and voted him down in the 1980 reelection as well as with the two elections of Clinton.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 02:37:52 pm »
Paddy was all over the place this weekend singing the praises of Christine Blasey Ford!  I'm guessing that's not gonna play well here.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Idiot

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 02:54:06 pm »
That's not the case in our local newspaper owned by USA Today.  They've been singing the praises of Frances for weeks now.  I just ended my subscription....

There are quite a few BETO signs around town, but more Cruz signs are popping up all of the time.  I'm off to get mine today. 

Heaven help us if this idiot gets elected....