Author Topic: Republicans Should Not Have Delayed the Kavanaugh Vote  (Read 1050 times)

Offline endicom

Republicans Should Not Have Delayed the Kavanaugh Vote
« on: September 29, 2018, 12:59:21 pm »
National Review
Andrew C. McCarthy
Sept. 29, 2018

They gave Democrats exactly what they wanted.
You have opponents whose first and only objective is delay. From the start of the confirmation proceedings on Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court, those opponents, Senate Democrats, have thus pushed for delay. At every turn. Of course they never come out and say that’s what they’re doing — they never come out and say, “We’ve abused the confirmation process and dropped a bomb at the eleventh hour, an uncorroborated, 36-year-old allegation of sexual assault, because we’re trying to delay the vote until after the midterms.” But delay is what they want.

It doesn’t matter what sheep’s clothing the wolf comes in; the wolf is always delay. When they say, “We’re protecting survivors,” they mean, “We want delay.” When they posture that “women must be believed,” their aim is more delay. When they say, “The FBI must investigate to remove any cloud over the nominee,” the translation is: “Give us a delay so we can come up with new reasons for delay.”

More... https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/09/republicans-should-not-have-delayed-the-kavanaugh-vote/

Offline The_Reader_David

Re: Republicans Should Not Have Delayed the Kavanaugh Vote
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 01:27:28 pm »
The question of whether McCarthy is right turns on whether the FBI investigation -- which from what we know, to wit every alleged attendee at the party where Ford purports to have been assaulted by Kavanaugh, save Ford herself, denying, in terms ranging from absolute (Kavanaugh and Ford's supposed life-long female friend, whose name escapes me now) to no recollection, ever having been to a party fitting Ford's description, should result in evidence supporting Kavanaugh -- is the cost of getting Flake, Collins and Murkowski to vote to confirm.

If it is, this is just tactics to provide cover.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 01:37:25 pm »
The question of whether McCarthy is right turns on whether the FBI investigation -- which from what we know, to wit every alleged attendee at the party where Ford purports to have been assaulted by Kavanaugh, save Ford herself, denying, in terms ranging from absolute (Kavanaugh and Ford's supposed life-long female friend, whose name escapes me now) to no recollection, ever having been to a party fitting Ford's description, should result in evidence supporting Kavanaugh -- is the cost of getting Flake, Collins and Murkowski to vote to confirm.

If it is, this is just tactics to provide cover.

Over the course of a week there is no way the FBI can go down every avenue.  There will be open questions.  According to the Dims these will be "potentially very serious" and more mountains will be made from more molehills.  They only need a few weeks delay.

I am not certain this is bad for Republicans.  Dems are already motivated to vote in the midterms.  Make this about the SCOTUS and the GOP will be motivated as well.  The majority is on our side on issues of culture and out of control political correctness.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 01:43:19 pm »
Over the course of a week there is no way the FBI can go down every avenue.  There will be open questions.  According to the Dims these will be "potentially very serious" and more mountains will be made from more molehills.  They only need a few weeks delay.

I am not certain this is bad for Republicans.  Dems are already motivated to vote in the midterms.  Make this about the SCOTUS and the GOP will be motivated as well.  The majority is on our side on issues of culture and out of control political correctness.

I agree Victor!  This has lit a fire under the Republican base and, in the end, Brett Kavanaugh is STILL going to be confirmed!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 02:22:55 pm »

McCarthy is right in that the Dems got what they wanted. But we can't know how this will play out with regards to the Senate vote on Kavanaugh or the midterm elections. But we might all agree that this becomes maddening.

I hope that the public is seeing through this show trial and not liking it.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 05:49:34 pm »
McCarthy is right in that the Dems got what they wanted. But we can't know how this will play out with regards to the Senate vote on Kavanaugh or the midterm elections. But we might all agree that this becomes maddening.

I hope that the public is seeing through this show trial and not liking it.

A part of me just thinks the senators love being the center of the nation's attention, and they don't want to give it up too readily.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 05:51:04 pm »
Republicans didn't delay. One Rat named Flake did.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 06:42:04 pm »
Republicans didn't delay. One Rat named Flake did.

That vote should have been held at 9:30 am. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
   Republicans Should Not Have Delayed the Kavanaugh Vote
By Andrew C. McCarthy

September 29, 2018 2:30 AM

They gave Democrats exactly what they wanted.

You have opponents whose first and only objective is delay. From the start of the confirmation proceedings on Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court, those opponents, Senate Democrats, have thus pushed for delay. At every turn. Of course they never come out and say that’s what they’re doing — they never come out and say, “We’ve abused the confirmation process and dropped a bomb at the eleventh hour, an uncorroborated, 36-year-old allegation of sexual assault, because we’re trying to delay the vote until after the midterms.” But delay is what they want.

It doesn’t matter what sheep’s clothing the wolf comes in; the wolf is always delay. When they say, “We’re protecting survivors,” they mean, “We want delay.” When they posture that “women must be believed,” their aim is more delay. When they say, “The FBI must investigate to remove any cloud over the nominee,” the translation is: “Give us a delay so we can come up with new reasons for delay.”

Get it?

Dems say, “potato,” they mean “delay”;
Dems say “tomato,” they mean delay;
Tomato, delay, potato, delay;
Let’s call the whole thing off.

So, finally, we get to a committee vote over two weeks after it should have happened; after reopening a hearing that involved 31 hours of testimony from the nominee; after 65 meetings with senators and followed by over 1,200 answers to post-hearing questions, more than the combined number of post-hearing questions in the history of Supreme Court nominations. We finally get Kavanaugh’s nomination voted out of committee. And then, as a final floor vote is about to be scheduled and debated, Republicans — taking their lead from the ineffable Jeff Flake — agree to accede to one more Democratic request (really, just one more, cross-our-hearts . . .). And what would that be?

more
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/09/republicans-should-not-have-delayed-the-kavanaugh-vote/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline endicom

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 08:15:24 pm »
Topics merged.