Author Topic: Texas coal plant announces plans to shut down  (Read 849 times)

Offline corbe

Texas coal plant announces plans to shut down
« on: September 25, 2018, 08:34:30 pm »
Texas coal plant announces plans to shut down

By Miranda Green - 09/25/18 04:16 PM EDT   

A northern Texas coal fired plant is adding itself to a growing list of coal refineries shutting their doors.

Officials announced Tuesday that the Oklaunion plant based in Vernon, Texas, will retire in 2020, citing a failure to compete in the energy market, the Houston Chronicle reports.

The owners voted to close the plant after coming to terms with the fact that the 700-megawatt coal plant was not competitive in the state’s energy market run by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, American Electric Power Texas spokesman Greg Blair told the Chronicle.

“The owners voted to close the plant between April and Oct. of 2020. There's a lot more approvals that need to be gotten before that happens, but really the plant was no longer competitive in the ERCOT market," he said.

The plant is at least the fifth one in Texas to close, or to announce plans to close, this year. It joins a number of other coal plants nationwide that are shuttering following a struggle to maintain a profit.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/408369-texas-based-coal-fired-plant-announces-retirement
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Texas coal plant announces plans to shut down
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 11:53:05 pm »
A coal refinery?

I always laugh when someone who knows so little about the subject he/she is reporting about.

Perhaps this is one reason coal still suffers in Texas, when Chesapeake Energy decided to partner with the likes of the Sierra Club to bash coal plants.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Texas coal plant announces plans to shut down
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 02:43:25 am »
I'm seriously scared about the midterms ._.
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw