Author Topic: Ford lawyer proposes testifying next Thursday  (Read 1913 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ford lawyer proposes testifying next Thursday
« on: September 21, 2018, 01:31:15 am »
Ford lawyer proposes testifying next Thursday
By Jordain Carney and Tal Axelrod - 09/20/18 08:56 PM EDT

Christine Blasey Ford, the woman accusing Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault in the 1980s, is reportedly willing to publicly testify in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee next Thursday.

Lawyers for Ford told committee staffers during a call Thursday evening to negotiate details of a potential hearing that she wanted Kavanaugh to testify before her and she does not want to be in the same room as him, according to multiple reports.

A source told CNN that Ford's lawyers are also opposed to an outside counsel being used to question her during a hearing, something that was being discussed by Republican senators to avoid the optics of 11 male GOP senators questioning Ford.

The call comes after Ford's lawyers opened the door earlier Thursday to her appearing before the committee next week, while warning that a public hearing currently scheduled for Monday was "not possible."

“She wishes to testify, provided that we can agree on terms that are fair and which ensure her safety,” Ford lawyer Debra Katz wrote, asking to talk with Judiciary Committee staff about the “conditions” for her testimony.

Aides for Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, said Thursday evening that they had a call with Ford's lawyers "to discuss receiving her testimony in the Judiciary Committee."

"[Grassley] will consult with his colleagues on the committee. He remains committed to providing a fair forum for both Dr. Ford and Judge Kavanaugh," they added.

The talks come after the chances of Ford publicly testifying had been all but written off amid a stalemate between her lawyers and Grassley's staff about whether the FBI should reopen its background investigation into Kavanaugh.

Ford's lawyers initially indicated the FBI reopening its probe was a precursor to any public testimony, while GOP senators and the White House had warned it was unlikely to happen.

Kavanaugh, who has strongly denied Ford's allegations, said in a letter to Grassley released by the White House on Thursday evening that he was prepared to go ahead with testifying at a hearing on Monday.

"I continue to want a hearing as soon as possible, so that I can clear my name," he wrote.

Ford has accused Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her during a party in the early 1980s. Ford told The Washington Post that Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed, tried to remove her clothing and covered her mouth when she tried to protest.

In her email to the committee earlier Thursday, Ford's lawyer ruled out Ford testifying on Monday, as Republicans had originally pushed, but kept open the possibility of her testifying later in the week.

“As you are aware, she has been receiving death threats, which have been reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and she and her family have been forced out of their home. She wishes to testify, provided that we can agree on terms that are fair and ensure her safety,” her lawyer, Debra Katz, wrote in an email to the committee.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/sep/20/christine-blasey-ford-remembered-dewey-beach-bar-s/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Ford lawyer proposes testifying next Thursday
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:33:36 am »
Fox reporting only committee members can question her and Kavanaugh has to go first....

Kavanaugh needs to be able to rebuttal.......the accused always goes last...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 01:44:39 am »
Fox reporting only committee members can question her and Kavanaugh has to go first....

Kavanaugh needs to be able to rebuttal.......the accused always goes last...

They need to stick to Monday and of course allow Kavanaugh to rebut her.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 02:00:15 am »
Christine Blasey Ford's legal team has asked the Senate Judiciary Committee to agree to certain terms before she sits down for a potential interview over her accusation that Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her decades ago, two sources told Fox News on Thursday night.

Among the terms: Only members of the committee -- no lawyers -- can question her; Kavanaugh cannot be in the room at the time; and Kavanaugh should be questioned first.

But the attorneys said it was "not possible" for Ford to testify at a hearing scheduled for Monday by Senate Republicans, and they reiterated that she has a "strong preference" for an FBI probe beforehand.

excerpt:

Senate Judiciary
    ✔
    @senjudiciary
     Â· 8h
    Replying to @senjudiciary

On Monday, staff interviewed Judge Kavanaugh under penalty of felony. Democratic staff was invited and could have asked any question of Judge Kavanaugh. They declined to participate.

Senate Judiciary
    ✔
    @senjudiciary

Staff contacted Mark Judge and obtained a statement under penalty of felony. Staff contacted third person allegedly at party described by Dr. Ford and obtained a statement under penalty of felony. Staff contacted fourth person allegedly at party.
    12:18 PM - Sep 20, 2018

more
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/09/20/kavanaugh-accuser-christine-blasey-fords-team-lays-out-terms-it-wants-for-potential-senate-interview-sources-say.html

Kavanaugh accuser Christine Blasey Ford's team lays out terms it wants for potential Senate interview, sources say
Support the USO

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 02:08:00 am »
I have a novel idea:  Monday or nothing, and the accuser goes first.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 02:09:51 am »
I have a novel idea:  Monday or nothing, and the accuser goes first.

They'll agree to her terms..the Repubs are scared to death
Support the USO

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 02:16:46 am »
They'll agree to her terms..the Repubs are scared to death

9999hair out0000
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 02:21:47 am »
Laura Ingraham discussing this now...Byron York says the Repubs will not agree on Kavanaugh going first and may not agree on not outside lawyers...Kavanaugh's female lawyer should be present and be able to cross the accuser...we shall see
Support the USO

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 02:24:50 am »
In a way, I thought there might be some compromises. They want this and this. We want this and this. And arrive at some middle point.

As far as I'm concerned, yes, they should do it Monday and get it over with. We will watch how they do this. I think there is some concern about public perception.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 03:01:50 am »
1. At what age did you have your first drink of alcohol?

2. What would your parents have said, if they knew you were going drinking alcohol, that night?

3. Did you ever forget things, after drinking alcohol?

4. Do you still drink alcohol?

5. Do you approve of teen drinking?

4. Have you ever researched, lectured or taught about alcohol use, abuse, addiction?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 03:08:08 am »
If it was a violent incident, might you have told someone? Maybe. That's what Rev. Austin Miles is saying.

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/miles/180919

Also, someone said the mortgage story, that Kavanaugh's mother who was a judge ruled on a foreclosure of the house of Christine Blasey Ford's parents, some have said this is not officially a true story. It might have been taken to court but it was worked out without detriment to her family.

Back to the alleged violent incident, yes, I'd think there are plenty of cases where someone never mentions it.

I think Rev. Miles is correct though, that in 2012, Kavanaugh may well have been on a list of Judges for Mitt Romney in case, he had won.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 03:11:03 am »
1. At what age did you have your first drink of alcohol?

2. What would your parents have said, if they knew you were going drinking alcohol, that night?

3. Did you ever forget things, after drinking alcohol?

4. Do you still drink alcohol?

5. Do you approve of teen drinking?

4. Have you ever researched, lectured or taught about alcohol use, abuse, addiction?
That ought to rile the Dems up more than the questions for Pete Stozk.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 03:42:33 am »
I would tell her no later than Tues, do the committee vote Wed, floor vote by Fri.
The Republic is lost.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 03:56:35 am »
I would tell her no later than Tues, do the committee vote Wed, floor vote by Fri.
She’s already had 30 years to come forward. No more delays.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 04:09:49 am »
She’s already had 30 years to come forward. No more delays.

You're negotiating with the nation watching. They are trying to delay so that Kavanaugh isn't on the court by showtime on the 1st. Giving them one extra day leaves plenty of time, makes them look stupid if they don't agree.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 04:22:38 am »
This circus leaves town the moment the vote is over and he takes the bench. Dragging this out another week allows more fake stories to be manufactured and pumped out. Stop it now. Take the vote.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 05:01:44 am »

I'd tell her she's welcome to stop by on Thurs, but he'll be confirmed by then.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 09:59:50 am »
She needs an extra three days to recall what happened 35 years ago?  What a crock of schumer.  This needs to end now.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 12:23:28 pm »
CNN asked 5 women if they believe Judge Brett Kavanaugh's denial that he ever engaged in any kind of sexual misconduct with Christine Blasey Ford.

All 5 women say they believe him and they have no problem with him being on the Supreme Court.

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1042975890395652096

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 04:01:48 pm »
She needs an extra three days to recall what happened 35 years ago?  What a crock of schumer.  This needs to end now.

A real crock of Schiff. Her mouthpiece said her client would do whatever it takes to get her story out. She was accommodated with a week's notice. Enough.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 04:12:14 pm »
Also, someone said the mortgage story, that Kavanaugh's mother who was a judge ruled on a foreclosure of the house of Christine Blasey Ford's parents, some have said this is not officially a true story. It might have been taken to court but it was worked out without detriment to her family.

The real story is that Ford's parents reached an agreement with the bank and the judge essentially signed off on it via a court order.  That order actually allowed Ford's parents to keep their home.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 06:45:04 pm »
I want the Senators to do all the questioning.  Many of them are lawyers and were prosecutors.  They shouldn't be able to weasel out of asking difficult questions by bringing in hired guns.  I want to see how the Senators handle it.

Neither person should have a lawyer.  Neither person should hear what the other person says.  It doesn't matter who goes first: Person A, Person B, Person A further questions, Person B further questions, etc.  Public and televised, no investigation, no witnesses, it's not a trial, no one needs counsel.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 06:45:46 pm »
The real story is that Ford's parents reached an agreement with the bank and the judge essentially signed off on it via a court order.  That order actually allowed Ford's parents to keep their home.

And Kavanaugh's mom wasn't the "trial" judge, just the one who signed off on the agreement.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 07:15:15 pm »
I want the Senators to do all the questioning.  Many of them are lawyers and were prosecutors.  They shouldn't be able to weasel out of asking difficult questions by bringing in hired guns.  I want to see how the Senators handle it.

Neither person should have a lawyer.  Neither person should hear what the other person says. It doesn't matter who goes first: Person A, Person B, Person A further questions, Person B further questions, etc.  Public and televised, no investigation, no witnesses, it's not a trial, no one needs counsel.

So a few precepts of our legal system, bolded above, go out the window with you?

Why?

People in  courtrooms every day, get to "confront their accuser?"

People incourtrooms every day, are represented by attorneys.

Did you see the5 women on CNN? The left is increasingly coming across as dishonest, manipulative.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 08:09:51 pm »

Neither person should have a lawyer.  Neither person should hear what the other person says.  It doesn't matter who goes first: Person A, Person B, Person A further questions, Person B further questions, etc.  Public and televised, no investigation, no witnesses, it's not a trial, no one needs counsel.
Everyone has a right to confront their accuser or accusers. :nono: