Author Topic: Trump identifies first two US soldiers from Korean War remains  (Read 595 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump identifies first two US soldiers from Korean War remains
« on: September 20, 2018, 11:16:40 pm »
Trump identifies first two US soldiers from Korean War remains
Stars and Stripes, Sep 20, 2018

WASHINGTON — The remains of an Army master sergeant from Indiana and a private first class from North Carolina were included in the 55 cases of remains of missing Korean War veterans turned over in July by North Korea, President Donald Trump tweeted Thursday.

The two soldiers, both likely killed in action fighting Chinese forces in North Korea about 66 years ago, are the first positive identities that Pentagon officials have confirmed since the transfer was completed July 27 as part an agreement hashed out by Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un during their summit June 12 in Singapore. Pentagon officials said more identifications would come in the future, but cautioned they had not confirmed precisely how many individuals are in the remains that were included in the transfer. Identifying remains can take years, even decades, in some cases.

McDaniel and Jones “are the first American remains from ... North Korea to be identified as a result of my Summit with Chairman Kim,” Trump wrote. “These HEROES are home, they may Rest In Peace, and hopefully their families can have closure.”

Pentagon officials earlier Thursday said the families of the two missing servicemembers had been notified last week of their identifications. McDaniel’s identification was positively confirmed Sept. 12 and Jones’ a day later, a DPAA official said.

More:  https://www.stripes.com/news/trump-identifies-first-two-us-soldiers-from-korean-war-remains-1.548490

Offline aligncare

Re: Trump identifies first two US soldiers from Korean War remains
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 10:24:17 am »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 10:36:44 am »
@aligncare

Were you saying something?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 01:50:47 pm »
@aligncare

Were you saying something?

It just struck me no one seemed interested enough to comment. This is a big deal for the families, and more evidence of the president’s concern for America and Americans and his success in negotiating the return of our MIA.

I had hoped there would be some acknowledgement from the president’s dependably critical members here. I guess this event just isn’t as big a human interest story as Stormy Daniels.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 02:04:01 pm »
It seems there is significant progress being made on the Korean peninsula lately. Of course the press is very uninterested.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 02:25:30 pm »
Part of the disinterest is because we've been through the prospect of improvement on the Korean peninsula many, many times before.  There will have to be some real solid accomplishments before people pay much attention. 

I agree that this is a big deal to the families.