Author Topic: Newly Released Eric Holder Memo: Feds Can Use FISA to Spy on Journalists  (Read 290 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Newly Released Eric Holder Memo: Feds Can Use FISA to Spy on Journalists
And the guidelines for spying on journalists may be even looser under Trump.

Joe Setyon|Sep. 18, 2018 11:55 am

The federal government can use the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) to spy on journalists. So said a pair of 2015 Justice Department memos, including one from then–Attorney General Eric Holder.

FISA is controversial in itself. The act is supposed to be used to justify surveillance on foreign targets. But as Reason's Scott Shackford has explained, intelligence agencies often use it to secretly spy on American citizens, sometimes without a warrant.

According to the newly released documents, obtaining permission to surveil members of the media is not easy, but it is possible. In one memo, dated March 19, Holder says FISA applications against journalists must be approved by the attorney general and deputy attorney general prior to being brought before a FISA court.

more
https://reason.com/blog/2018/09/18/newly-released-eric-holder-memo-feds-can
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Newly Released Eric Holder Memo: Feds Can Use FISA to Spy on Journalists
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:35:31 pm »
Everyone knew Holder was a shifty-eyed, four flushing, weasel pansy his 1st week in office.  But I might give him a pass when it comes to spying on the enemy of the people
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:51:47 pm by Mod5 »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Newly Released Eric Holder Memo: Feds Can Use FISA to Spy on Journalists
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:03:27 pm »
Everyone knew Holder was a shifty-eyed, four flushing, weasel pansy his 1st week in office.  But I might give him a pass when it comes to spying on the enemy of the people

The only thing I would give that SOB a pass to is the Gallows at Leavenworth!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien