Author Topic: Rice University announces free tuition for middle income undergraduate students  (Read 611 times)

Offline Suppressed

Rice University announces free tuition for middle income undergraduate students
By Brooke A. Lewis Updated 8:35 am CDT, Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Photo: Gary Coronado, Staff / Houston Chronicle

Rice University officials announced Tuesday they will provide full tuition scholarships to undergraduate domestic students from low- and middle-income backgrounds starting in the fall of 2019, the latest effort by a major university to respond to rising concerns about soaring higher-education costs and burdensome student debt.

The new financial plan, The Rice Investment, will allow full-tuition scholarships and grants to be offered to undergraduate students whose family incomes fall between $65,000 and $130,000 a year and who qualify for need-based financial aid, according to a news release issued Tuesday by the university.

[...]

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Rice-University-announces-free-tuition-for-middle-13236823.php?ipid=houstonhomepage#photo-16185271
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline GrouchoTex

Rice has had the reputation in the past as an Ivy League quality school, without the higher price tag.
IIRC, 20-25 years ago, it was in the 6,000 to 7,500 range per year, but that may not be 100% accurate.
I want to say that was in US News and World Report back then.
Nice to see them try and keep that going.

Offline LadyLiberty

I went to college from 77-81.  I started during the summer semester immediately after graduating from high school, mainly to get some classes out of the way to make the load a little lighter for future semesters, so instead of going for eight semesters I went for nine.

I was awarded a scholarship (not from the university) for $4000, or $500 per semester.  It covered tuition, fees, and books.  My fees were higher than the average student because I was a chemistry major so there were lab fees for afternoon labs 3-4 days per week.  I did not live on campus so there was no room/board costs, but if I had it ran $600 per semester at that time.  When that final semester rolled around the scholarship money was no more, but I had saved enough from the first eight semesters to cover it, with money left over to boot. 

I am appalled at what it costs these days, especially for the useless degrees that people go into debt for.