Author Topic: Deadly Dangers Lurk In Natural Gas Distribution Lines  (Read 2404 times)

Offline thackney

Deadly Dangers Lurk In Natural Gas Distribution Lines
« on: September 18, 2018, 04:44:31 pm »
Deadly Dangers Lurk In Natural Gas Distribution Lines
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2018/09/17/deadly-dangers-lurk-in-natural-gas-distribution-lines/#553e7b404890

...Last week one person was killed, over 25 were injured, and dozens of homes were damaged or destroyed following a series of natural gas explosions in Massachusetts. The incident remains under investigation, but thus far investigators are focusing on the possibility of overpressurization of a gas main owned by natural gas utility Columbia Gas of Massachusetts.

Columbia Gas of Massachusetts services more than 300,000 customers in three areas in northwestern Massachusetts. Columbia Gas is one of seven regulated natural gas subsidiaries of NiSource, whose combined utility operations serve nearly 4 million customers in seven states. NiSource operates about 60,000 miles of distribution pipelines, and saw its shares drop by nearly 12% following the incident....

...According to the American Gas Association, steel is used in most natural gas transmission systems pipes, while plastic pipe has predominated in gas utility distribution systems over the past 30 years.

Ticking Time Bombs

The problem lies in the older pipelines. During the first half of the 20th century, cast iron was used in many utility systems. Steel replaced cast iron as the material of choice in the 1950s, but that means that there are a lot of older cast iron pipelines still in service.

A 2014 report by USA Today found that there is “at least 85,000 miles of aging cast-iron and bare-steel gas pipes still operating in U.S. communities”, with many in heavily-populated areas. Most of these aging pipelines can be found in the Northeast. The report also found that these pipelines are involved in a disproportionate share of gas leaks.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration have been warning utilities that these aging pipelines need to be replaced, but it isn’t required by law. The cost of replacing these pipelines can exceed more than $1 million a mile, with the costs passed on to consumers.

Columbia Gas has reported that it has 471 miles of cast- and wrought-iron gas distribution lines. This is more than all about 15 of the nation’s 1,000-plus gas utilities. These lines are vulnerable in a couple of ways. As old as they are, they will begin to corrode and crack. They are vulnerable to shifts in the earth that put additional stress on the pipeline.

But they are also vulnerable to overpressure, which is suspected as the cause....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Deadly Dangers Lurk In Natural Gas Distribution Lines
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 04:50:39 pm »
I'm going to go way out on a limb here, long before the investigation(s) are completed, and say that the use of flowing pressure regulators in places where TSO regulators should have been used is going to be found the culprit.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 04:57:38 pm »
I'm going to go way out on a limb here, long before the investigation(s) are completed, and say that the use of flowing pressure regulators in places where TSO regulators should have been used is going to be found the culprit.

TSO??

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 05:06:48 pm »
Tight Shut Off

Thank you. 

It would take more than just that, but it could be contributing factor.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 05:09:08 pm »
Thank you. 

It would take more than just that, but it could be contributing factor.

A LARGE contributing factor IMHO!  I've seen it happen several times myself.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 05:11:57 pm »
A LARGE contributing factor IMHO!  I've seen it happen several times myself.

I would expect there to have also been a failed or disabled pressure relief valve(s) that should have prevented an overpressure.

Note that this system was being worked upon at the time of the failure.

Offline thackney

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 05:15:09 pm »
I would expect there to have also been a failed or disabled pressure relief valve(s) that should have prevented an overpressure.

Note that this system was being worked upon at the time of the failure.

The explosions inside individual buildings are likely to have been caused by the wrong type of regulator being installed at those locations IMHO.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 07:07:18 pm »
This was recently posted on NiSource website

Columbia Gas of Massachusetts Commits to Complete Replacement of Merrimack Valley Gas Distribution System

https://www.nisource.com/news/article/columbia-gas-of-massachusetts-commits-to-complete-replacement-of-merrimack-valley-gas-distribution-system-20180916

Buried in article is this:

NiSource has been designated a World's Most Ethical Company by the Ethisphere Institute since 2012, is a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability - North America Index and was named by Forbes magazine as the top-rated utility among America's Best Large Employers in 2017. Additional information about NiSource, its investments in modern infrastructure and systems, its commitments and its local brands can be found at www.nisource.com.

If the pipeline is being totally replaced, how does that square with the usage of modern infrastructure and systems?

BTW, anybody ever heard of the Ethisphere Institute? https://ethisphere.com/

Looks to be a made-up company that lacks expertise to correctly function by recognizing NiSource
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 07:36:33 pm »
The explosions inside individual buildings are likely to have been caused by the wrong type of regulator being installed at those locations IMHO.

I do not see the widespread failures of that system to be the fault of the individual building regulators.  When the piping system feeding the buildings was at 12 times the normal pressure, the fault is likely upstream of the buildings.

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 07:42:26 pm »
This was recently posted on NiSource website

Columbia Gas of Massachusetts Commits to Complete Replacement of Merrimack Valley Gas Distribution System

https://www.nisource.com/news/article/columbia-gas-of-massachusetts-commits-to-complete-replacement-of-merrimack-valley-gas-distribution-system-20180916

Buried in article is this:

NiSource has been designated a World's Most Ethical Company by the Ethisphere Institute since 2012, is a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability - North America Index and was named by Forbes magazine as the top-rated utility among America's Best Large Employers in 2017. Additional information about NiSource, its investments in modern infrastructure and systems, its commitments and its local brands can be found at www.nisource.com.

If the pipeline is being totally replaced, how does that square with the usage of modern infrastructure and systems?

BTW, anybody ever heard of the Ethisphere Institute? https://ethisphere.com/

Looks to be a made-up company that lacks expertise to correctly function by recognizing NiSource

...The Ethisphere Insitute, which describes itself as "a leading international think-tank dedicated to the creation, advancement and sharing of best practices in business ethics, corporate social responsibility, anti-corruption and sustainability," is actually a for-profit company. The institute also lends itself credibility with an "advisory panel" of ethicists, yet several former members say they've had little if anything to do with it. Finally, the institute and an affiliated company sell services to and collect fees from some of the same companies Ethisphere extols....

It's All Good
http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2010/03/its_all_good.html
Beware of corporate consulting firms offering awards for corporate ethics.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 07:43:51 pm »
Too bad people care more about Left vs Right instead of this :/
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 08:50:11 pm »
I do not see the widespread failures of that system to be the fault of the individual building regulators.  When the piping system feeding the buildings was at 12 times the normal pressure, the fault is likely upstream of the buildings.

Or a combination of both. 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 11:39:02 pm »
Or a combination of both.

I guess when I see a runaway truck with failed brakes crash through a building wall striking the people inside, I don't tend to fault that the building should have been built stronger.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 12:12:59 am »
I guess when I see a runaway truck with failed brakes crash through a building wall striking the people inside, I don't tend to fault that the building should have been built stronger.

In the case of gas distribution systems one needs to see the entire picture.  It's entirely possible for a whole string of things to fail (obviously did in this case)  and especially so if there are flaws in the design and or materials specifications.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 12:20:56 am »
In the case of gas distribution systems one needs to see the entire picture.  It's entirely possible for a whole string of things to fail (obviously did in this case)  and especially so if there are flaws in the design and or materials specifications.

The flaw was in the device that over pressured the system (likely main regulator) and the safety relief valve that failed to relieve the pressure.

For example:

We have a 1,200 psi piping transmission system feeding a 100 psi distribution system.  The distribution system is set to run at 50 psi but designed to withstand 100 psi.

The regulator feeding the distribution system fails.  The safety relief valve protecting the distribution system fails.

The distribution system sees 600 psi.  The end user regulator that normally reduce from 50 psi down to fractional pressure for the homes.  Those end user regulators see 600 psi coming in.  Most of them fail.  The end user regulators are not at fault.  They were built and specified correctly.  The supply and protection system upstream of the end user regulators are at fault.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 12:26:42 am »
The flaw was in the device that over pressured the system (likely main regulator) and the safety relief valve that failed to relieve the pressure.

For example:

We have a 1,200 psi piping transmission system feeding a 100 psi distribution system.  The distribution system is set to run at 50 psi but designed to withstand 100 psi.

The regulator feeding the distribution system fails.  The safety relief valve protecting the distribution system fails.

The distribution system sees 600 psi.  The end user regulator that normally reduce from 50 psi down to fractional pressure for the homes.  Those end user regulators see 600 psi coming in.  Most of them fail.  The end user regulators are not at fault.  They were built and specified correctly.  The supply and protection system upstream of the end user regulators are at fault.

Unless those end use regulators were of the wrong type and were leaking through into the residences.  All of this is pure speculation on my part and I said so at the outset.  I'm done with it for now.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 01:37:57 am »
I saw this posted in another (non political) forum.
Take it for what you paid for it:
=======================
"In a thread on Reddit last night someone said their father retired from whatever utility is responsible, and in talking to his former colleagues he learned that they were replacing a piece of equipment and accidently re-attached a 100 psi supply to a line that is meant to receive 3psi.

Apparently even if your house didn’t blow up or catch fire any of your appliances attached to a gas line are trashed and will need repairs before they can be used again."

Offline thackney

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 01:48:54 am »
I saw this posted in another (non political) forum.
Take it for what you paid for it:
=======================
"In a thread on Reddit last night someone said their father retired from whatever utility is responsible, and in talking to his former colleagues he learned that they were replacing a piece of equipment and accidently re-attached a 100 psi supply to a line that is meant to receive 3psi.

Apparently even if your house didn’t blow up or catch fire any of your appliances attached to a gas line are trashed and will need repairs before they can be used again."

The utility did confirm the system was undergoing work at the time.

Offline kidd

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 12:22:08 pm »

Sounds like a design failure as well. For such a critical system, I would've included a redundant pressure relief system that cannot fail, such as a rupture disk (in addition to the safety relief valve) - something designed to rupture at something like 2-3 times the setpoint for the safety relief valve.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:22:40 pm by kidd »

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 12:49:47 pm »
Official: Pressure sensors focus of gas explosions probe
https://apnews.com/185462c04eec450083ee649d957ef07c
Sep. 16, 2018

The investigation into the Boston-area natural gas explosions is partially focused on pressure sensors that were connected to a gas line that was being taken out of service shortly before the blasts, the head of the National Transportation Safety Board said Sunday.

NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt said the sensors can signal for gas pressure to be increased if the pressure gets too low. He said investigators will try to determine whether those sensors played any role in Thursday’s explosions and fires.

Dozens of homes were destroyed or damaged, a teenager was killed and dozens of people were injured in Lawrence, North Andover and Andover. Thousands were forced to leave their homes.

Also Sunday, residents in the three communities north of Boston were allowed to return to their homes after crews finished shutting off nearly 8,600 gas meters. Electricity was restored to all the affected homes and businesses, but gas service may not be restored for weeks....