Author Topic: Mattis Accuses Russia of Meddling in Macedonian Referendum  (Read 303 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mattis Accuses Russia of Meddling in Macedonian Referendum
« on: September 18, 2018, 12:42:47 am »
Mattis Accuses Russia of Meddling in Macedonian Referendum

US Defense Secretary James Mattis on Monday in Skopje called for a 'yes' vote in the forthcoming referendum on the Macedonia-Greece 'name' deal – before voicing concern about 'Russian influence' in the campaign.
Sinisa Jakov Marusic
BIRN Skopje

US Defense Secretary James Mattis
, Macedonian Defense Minister Radmila Shekerinska [centre] and Prime Minister Zoran Zaev
. Photo: EPA-EFE/GEORGI LICKOVSKI[/i]

The US is ready to welcome Macedonia as NATO's 30th member if its citizens decide to support this path at the forthcoming referendum, US Defense Secretary James Mattis said in Skopje on Monday after meeting Macedonian Prime Minister Zoran Zaev and Defence Minister Radmila Shekerinska.

He described the September 30 referendum, which may pave the country’s way into NATO and the EU, as probably the most important decision in Macedonia's recent history.

Under a deal signed with Greece this summer, Macedonia agreed to change its name to the Republic of North Macedonia, while Greece agreed to lift its long-standing veto on Macedonia's NATO and EU integration.

Read more at: http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/mattis-supports-macedonian-referendum-condemns-russian-meddling--09-17-2018
Mattis sure doesn't look like he's on his way out in this picture, does he??   :pondering:

I can really question what I read in the press. It doesn't mean he's staying either.

The formatting here, has somehow misfunctioned. Please go to to link to read story if the above causes any confusion.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:47:20 am by TomSea »