Author Topic: Murkowski: Committee 'might' need to consider delaying Kavanaugh vote  (Read 941 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Murkowski: Committee 'might' need to consider delaying Kavanaugh vote
By Jordain Carney - 09/17/18 05:01 AM EDT

GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) says the Judiciary Committee "might" need to consider delaying a vote on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh after a woman accusing him of sexual assault spoke publicly for the first time about the allegation.

"Well, I think that might be something they might have to consider, at least having that discussion," Murkowski told CNN late Sunday night asked if the Judiciary Committee should delay a vote on Kavanaugh.

"This is not something that came up during the hearings. The hearings are now over, and if there is real substance to this, it demands a response. That may be something the committee needs to look into," Murkowski continued.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/406953-murkowski-committee-might-need-to-consider-delaying-kavanaugh-vote
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Murkowski: Committee 'might' need to consider delaying Kavanaugh vote
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:15:52 pm »
No, Lisa
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:18:38 pm »
Can we sell Alaska back to the Russians?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 10:19:31 pm »
Suck it you messed up pug.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:31:34 pm »
Corker, Flake, Collins and Murkowski can all shove it.  That still leaves the GOP with 47 votes.  Is that enough?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:34:04 pm »
Never forget how this cur and her GOPe friends won her her seat back.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:34:41 pm »
Corker, Flake, Collins and Murkowski can all shove it.  That still leaves the GOP with 47 votes.  Is that enough?

Who knows anymore?

Except that the Republican party is spineless and ball-less unless they are attacking a Conservative.  Then the GOP shows they got teeth.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:52:12 pm »
Who knows anymore?

Except that the Republican party is spineless and ball-less unless they are attacking a Conservative.  Then the GOP shows they got teeth.

A delay isn't defeat.  It's looking at the battlefield and reassessing tactics.  I know many Republican's despise him, but nobody knows the Senate like Cocaine Mitch, and I don't see anyway President Trump admits a mistake and rescinds the nomination.  I feel pretty confident Kavanaugh will be confirmed.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 12:11:03 am »

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1041823395971833856

Marco Rubio @marcorubio

Dr. Ford has made very troubling allegations that must be fully heard. Judge Kavanaugh has strongly denied them & should be given the opportunity to respond. I agree with the decision by @ChuckGrassley to provide both parties the opportunity to do so.
3:57 PM - 17 Sep 2018

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 12:20:39 am »

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1041823395971833856

Isn't that the same lying jackass that said he was quitting politics after Trump handed him his ass?

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 12:37:49 am »
Isn't that the same lying jackass that said he was quitting politics after Trump handed him his ass?
I don't know what you're referring too, but you can find lots of information here... www.google.com

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 01:11:35 am »
A delay isn't defeat.  It's looking at the battlefield and reassessing tactics.  I know many Republican's despise him, but nobody knows the Senate like Cocaine Mitch, and I don't see anyway President Trump admits a mistake and rescinds the nomination.  I feel pretty confident Kavanaugh will be confirmed.

Well the Left keeps getting away with pulling this tactic, and it's become precedent to derail whomever it is they want to tear down and destroy - and the Republican Party plays right along with it, time and again.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 01:45:30 am »
Well the Left keeps getting away with pulling this tactic, and it's become precedent to derail whomever it is they want to tear down and destroy - and the Republican Party plays right along with it, time and again.
@INVAR

I understand your very valid point, but the left got away with nuking the filibuster on court nominations a couple years ago.  This could be a blessing in disguise if it unmasks rats gaming the system.

Some of us are not blindered by the propaganda of the tribes, and the members of the tribes won't be swayed in their faith anyways.

This woman is going to have to appear in front of the nation and tell her story under oath.  Kavanaugh will get an opportunity to deny the claims under oath.  I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, especially if Kavanaugh is confirmed before the elections.  Right now I don't have the facts to know anything.  From what I've read I don't know, even if what Ford says is true, it disqualifies Kavanaugh...because we are all human and we all have skeletons in our closet.  There were behaviors that were acceptable in my youth that I would be embarrassed to admit today.  I often used to joke 30 years ago "You can't rape the willing."

As the father of daughters I would like to have a national dialogue about it today.

This delay could even coat Kavanaugh in Teflon and make him a stronger voice in the SCOTUS than if the allegations are left in the hands of the media to challenge.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:46:48 am by Once-Ler »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 01:55:07 am »
I understand your very valid point, but the left got away with nuking the filibuster on court nominations a couple years ago.  This could be a blessing in disguise if it unmasks rats gaming the system.

Nothing happens when Rats are actually found to have engaged in treason, espionage and outright corruption either.  The GOP looks the other way, or holds kabuki theater hearings to placate their base - but nothing happens.

This woman is going to have to appear in front of the nation and tell her story under oath.  Kavanaugh will get an opportunity to deny the claims under oath. 

Irrelevant.  All that is required is the charge/claim.  Nothing ever has to be proven.  It just has to be pounded via the media and the cesspool slugs in DC and away goes the target to be destroyed.  That is the way it works, time and again.

This delay could even coat Kavanaugh in Teflon and make him a stronger voice in the SCOTUS than if the allegations are left in the hands of the media to challenge.

Like it did Clarence Thomas??

You ARE an optimist aren't you?

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 02:04:53 am »
You ARE an optimist aren't you?

I used to be.  I'm trying to get back to that point.  Again I understand your valid points.  I don't have a convincing counter point.  Thanx for the reply.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 03:31:04 am »
 *****rollingeyes***** There is nooooo way the media will allow this process work to Kavanaugh's benefit.  It only gives them more time to discover more "victims."  OBVIOUS political stunt, and the timing should have disqualified it from consideration.  These senators are like the lil ol church ladies who sign their life savings over to scam artists.  They need to be retired, pronto.

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 03:38:07 am »
*****rollingeyes***** There is nooooo way the media will allow this process work to Kavanaugh's benefit.  It only gives them more time to discover more "victims."  OBVIOUS political stunt, and the timing should have disqualified it from consideration.  These senators are like the lil ol church ladies who sign their life savings over to scam artists.  They need to be retired, pronto.
The democrats and the media agree that the GOP majority in Congress needs to go.  With all of you working towards the same goal, how can you fail again, and again?

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 03:51:30 am »
Feinstein should recuse herself since she was a participant in this farce accusation, then it would be an even trade for McFlake.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 05:07:05 am »
Feinstein should recuse herself since she was a participant in this farce accusation, then it would be an even trade for McFlake.
I emailed your reply to Senator Feinstein...we are former secret santa recipients.  She refuses to recuse herself, but agrees that any GOP Senator without the backbone to condemn filthy disgusting women who accuse upstanding men like Kavanaugh without the need of even hearing testimony, deserve to be judged, and she also agrees Flake should step down if he can't felatiate felatio felicitate the President to his satisfaction.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 01:41:01 pm »
*****rollingeyes***** There is nooooo way the media will allow this process work to Kavanaugh's benefit.

If there is one thing we all should have learned from the election of 2016, it is that the media doesn't always get what it wants

The biggest problem the media has is a complete lack of understanding of so much of America.  The result is that their efforts often have the opposite effect of what they intend.  In the case of Kavanaugh, the media is so entrenched in the "me too" movement that they cannot see a lot of Americans are worried it may have gone too far.  So while the media believes that trying to throw more and more mud against him is the best way to sink his nomination, they may be surprised to find out that what they are really doing is creating a backlash.  The idea of a seemingly very clean cut guy being accused of something this when he was 17, with an accuser who recalls very few details and with no corroborating evidence, scares people.  It could be their son, or brother, or self/spouse whose life if being ruined by an untrue allegation.  People don't like that.

This may end up not only ensuring Kavanaugh's confirmation, but helping the GOP in the midterms.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 01:46:56 pm »
I wonder when they will find out that Kavanaugh pulled a little girl's pigtail in 3rd grade. I mean come on please, that has to go straight to the FBI and cries out for Senate hearings on this serious matter!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 03:05:31 pm »
If there is one thing we all should have learned from the election of 2016, it is that the media doesn't always get what it wants

The biggest problem the media has is a complete lack of understanding of so much of America.  The result is that their efforts often have the opposite effect of what they intend.  In the case of Kavanaugh, the media is so entrenched in the "me too" movement that they cannot see a lot of Americans are worried it may have gone too far.  So while the media believes that trying to throw more and more mud against him is the best way to sink his nomination, they may be surprised to find out that what they are really doing is creating a backlash.  The idea of a seemingly very clean cut guy being accused of something this when he was 17, with an accuser who recalls very few details and with no corroborating evidence, scares people.  It could be their son, or brother, or self/spouse whose life if being ruined by an untrue allegation.  People don't like that.

This may end up not only ensuring Kavanaugh's confirmation, but helping the GOP in the midterms.

Unfortunately, there is no way for him to acquit himself.  Anybody can make an accusation of sexual assault, and no matter how spurious, a cloud of doubt hangs over the target for the rest of his life.  My concern is the senators' willingness to give her a forum only lends credibility to the charge.  Diane Feinstein did not take it seriously enough to address when Kavanaugh sat for questioning.  That should have given the Republicans cover to regard her attempt as an election year hail mary.

I do not trust the public to recognize media bias.  Most of them don't pay enough attention to sort rumor from fact.