Author Topic: Ted Cruz Campaign is Mailing Donation Requests Disguised as Legal Summonses  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.newsweek.com/ted-cruz-beto-orourke-texas-election-midterms-letters-1123146
Ted Cruz’s Texas Senatorial campaign has sent hundreds of thousands of mailers seeking donations that are meant to look like official county summons, a high-ranking campaign official confirmed to Newsweek.

The brown envelopes read “SUMMONS ENCLOSED- OPEN IMMEDIATELY” in large black letters, and have a return address of “official county summons.”

While the letter inside the envelope is a donation form for the Cruz campaign, there is some fear that certain voters may be confused by the mailer and think that they are required by law to pay a fee.

“Received this for my 88-year-old grandma,” wrote Sean Owen of Austin on Twitter. “Says it's a summons from Travis County, but is actually asking for money for Ted Cruz. Did your campaign authorize this? Is this even legal? Shame on you.”

Looks desperate to me but what do I know?  If Cruz wins, yet a lot of other Republican Senator candidates fail in Nov, this could become more common.

In 2014 Senator Cruz spearheaded an effort to hold the GOP responsible for failure to stop and defund Obamacare, with a really well co-ordinated push to primary the GOPe leadership.  I did not like him.  I was one of a handful of his detractors here.  I thought he was a grand-stander who couldn't play well with others.

As time progressed I discovered that Cruz actually believed in the standards and ideals he espoused.  I came to accept that even though I disagreed with his tactics, Cruz was driven by his best intentions in service to a noble ideology.

I miss thinking that was important.

Offline DB

Re: Ted Cruz Campaign is Mailing Donation Requests Disguised as Legal Summonses
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:31:02 am »
Don't think much of that. Disappointing really.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 12:09:11 pm »
Didn't the Cruz campaign do this in 2016, too?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 12:43:07 pm »
Nothing new about this. I get crap like this from politicians of all stripes, car dealers promoting a sale, and businesses selling home security. Stupid-yes, wrong- maybe, as evil or unusual as the article makes it out to be- no.