Author Topic: California regulates barber and tattoo shops out of business  (Read 1653 times)

rangerrebew

California regulates barber and tattoo shops out of business
« on: September 14, 2018, 06:07:12 pm »
California regulates barber and tattoo shops out of business

Jazz ShawPosted at 4:31 pm on September 11, 2018

What’s this? California establishing more burdensome regulations that hurt local businesses and send people fleeing the state? Say it isn’t so!

Sadly, it seems to be. But this time it wasn’t the state legislature causing the problem. It was the state supreme court. In April of this year, the court handed down a ruling in a case between a group of employees and their employer dealing with the method the employer used to reclassify them all as independent contractors. While they had a sound case, the court found that there was no rigid definition for what an independent contractor actually was and who would qualify as one. So the justices took it upon themselves to create a new definition. Unfortunately, it was such a stringent set of requirements that many people who voluntarily work as independent contractors would no longer qualify.

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/09/11/california-regulates-barber-tattoo-shops-business/

Offline skeeter

Re: California regulates barber and tattoo shops out of business
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 06:22:22 pm »
This ruling has my wife and I hanging fire as we are directly affected. 50+ years in this state and they may finally succeed in driving me out.

My contempt for the government here knows no bounds.

What I cannot fathom is how the state can force those, basically landlords, who sublet work stations to 1099 independent contractors can now be forced to hire them and treat them as employees.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 06:29:47 pm »
This ruling has my wife and I hanging fire as we are directly affected. 50+ years in this state and they may finally succeed in driving me out.

My contempt for the government here knows no bounds.

What I cannot fathom is how the state can force those, basically landlords, who sublet work stations to 1099 independent contractors can now be forced to hire them and treat them as employees.

The same exact way that the Supreme Court decided that you can be forced to purchase health insurance that meets stringent bureaucratic guidelines while dictating to private health care facilities how it must operate.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 06:30:17 pm »
[...]  the court handed down a ruling in a case between a group of employees and their employer dealing with the method the employer used to reclassify them all as independent contractors. While they had a sound case, the court found that there was no rigid definition for what an independent contractor actually was and who would qualify as one. So the justices took it upon themselves to create a new definition. Unfortunately, it was such a stringent set of requirements that many people who voluntarily work as independent contractors would no longer qualify.

I have been an independent contractor most all of my life, and believe me, it ain't only callifornica.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:20:20 pm »
The same exact way that the Supreme Court decided that you can be forced to purchase health insurance that meets stringent bureaucratic guidelines while dictating to private health care facilities how it must operate.

Yeah, they're holding the guns.

Today.