Author Topic: A campaign to rewrite the Constitution is underway  (Read 1849 times)

Offline corbe

A campaign to rewrite the Constitution is underway
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:19:38 pm »
A campaign to rewrite the Constitution is underway

By Wilfred Codrington, opinion contributor — 09/13/18 04:00 PM EDT

American politics today is extremely polarizing, almost palpably so. Despite the partisan divide, Republicans and Democrats across the country still agree on some things. For one, there is broad agreement that the pillars of our democracy are under attack.

According to a recent poll by the Democracy Project, an initiative of the George W. Bush Institute and University of Pennsylvania’s Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement, 68 percent of the U.S. believes that American Democracy is “getting weaker.” Fully half of Americans believe that the country is “in real danger of becoming a nondemocratic, authoritarian country.” And even in the midst of this uncertain political climate, there is a campaign to open up the U.S. Constitution to “edits,” threatening the country with far more unpredictability and instability.

Over the decades, there have been growing efforts to use Article V of the Constitution, which governs how to amend the document, to hold a new constitutional convention. Extremists on both sides of the aisle have pushed for an unprecedented convention, usually claiming that their delegates would propose only slight alterations to the Constitution. But an Article V convention would open the floodgates. It would expose the Constitution to any number of sweeping changes, putting the basics of our democracy at risk. Shockingly still, it is close to becoming a reality.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/406581-a-campaign-to-rewrite-the-constitution-is-underway
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

Re: A campaign to rewrite the Constitution is underway
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 08:30:01 pm »
I'm down for an Article V convention. Contrary to what the Hill's opinion writer thinks, given the manner the Constitution has been perverted over the past 100 years I believed our system is doomed if we DON'T clarify certain clauses that currently are being misinterpreted.

The GOP would have the preponderance of delegates, so there's not much chance of the convention being hijacked by the leftist nutters.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 08:34:26 pm »
Nope.

They already ignore the existing Constitution with regular impunity and with clever legalese circumvent it daily.

Adding new Amendments is not going to stop them from continuing to do so.

The rule of law in this country is dead, and was killed by BOTH parties and with full assistance from the Judiciary.

We live in a post-Constitutional Kleptocracy.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 08:40:19 pm »
   It scares the $hit out of me @skeeter in this age of twitter/facebook and an extremely dumbed down electorate.
   I've moved back over to the 'Be careful what you wish for' crowd.  Becoming way to skeptical in my old age.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 08:44:29 pm »
Another feeble attempt by the deep state to twist the facts to maintain their hold on power.  The Convention of States is NOT a Constitutional Convention. It can not rewrite the constitution, only propose amendments that must get 3/4ths of the state legislatures to vote for them to pass.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:44:34 pm »
   It scares the $hit out of me @skeeter in this age of twitter/facebook and an extremely dumbed down electorate.
   I've moved back over to the 'Be careful what you wish for' crowd.  Becoming way to skeptical in my old age.
The founders put the provision in the Constitution for the very situation we find ourselves in today - as a remedy for a non responsive and increasingly dictatorial federal government.

I'll have to check, but I thought state governors act as the delegates, or at least assign delegates to such a convention. I do not think we conservatives will be in a better position to get what we want out of one.

Actually, the fact there are so many short attention-spanned brainstems out there might work in our favor.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:54:24 pm by skeeter »

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:30:39 pm »
   I would certainly hope so @skeeter and as @RetBobbyMI brought up there seems to be substantial safeguards built into the process.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 12:08:01 am »
   I would certainly hope so @skeeter and as @RetBobbyMI brought up there seems to be substantial safeguards built into the process.
I must say those founders are pretty wise in the document they signed that has withstood the test of time. 242 years and only amended 27 times.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 12:25:31 am »
I must say those founders are pretty wise in the document they signed that has withstood the test of time. 242 years and only amended 27 times.

"Should the People of America, once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another and towards foreign nations, which assumes the Language of Justice and moderation while it is practicing Iniquity and Extravagance; and displays in the most captivating manner the charming Pictures of Candour frankness & sincerity while it is rioting in rapine and Insolence: this Country will be the most miserable Habitation in the World.

We have no Government armed with Power capable of contending with human Passions unbridled by morality and Religion. Avarice, Ambition Revenge or Galantry, would break the strongest Cords of our Constitution as a Whale goes through a Net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"  - John Adams, October 11, 1798

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 12:35:44 am »
"Should the People of America, once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another and towards foreign nations, which assumes the Language of Justice and moderation while it is practicing Iniquity and Extravagance; and displays in the most captivating manner the charming Pictures of Candour frankness & sincerity while it is rioting in rapine and Insolence: this Country will be the most miserable Habitation in the World.

We have no Government armed with Power capable of contending with human Passions unbridled by morality and Religion. Avarice, Ambition Revenge or Galantry, would break the strongest Cords of our Constitution as a Whale goes through a Net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"  - John Adams, October 11, 1798

Well, there you go. Wise man as I said. But what went wrong with New England? Now we have the likes of John The Traitor Kerry and Pocahontas reincarnated.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 12:40:05 am »
Well, there you go. Wise man as I said. But what went wrong with New England? Now we have the likes of John The Traitor Kerry and Pocahontas reincarnated.

We are no longer a moral or religious people, and as such the Constitution that was intended to govern - is incapable of doing so.

" only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters" - Benjamin Franklin

This is why we have a Statist Beast for a federal government and why so many have made it their Master.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 01:31:47 am »
I firmly believe that the time has come for an Article V Convention of the States.

Some facets of the Constitution that definitely need fixing:
- term limits for Representatives and Senators (of course)
- term limits for federal judges
- term limits for Supreme Court Justices
- age limits for elected officials (that is, no Representative, Senator, President or Vice President will run after attaining the age of 72 years)
- very slight correction of Second Amendment that specifies that its protections are intended for individual citizens as well as for "a well regulated militia".
- an amendment that limits governmental snooping and information gathering, essentially creating a "right to privacy" for citizens by beefing up the Fourth Amendment.
- a correction to the Fourteenth Amendment that limits citizenship to those born to American parents. It should also clearly define the term "natural born citizen".
- and finally, a correction that changes this:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

to this:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. The followers of muhammed are specifically excluded and denied the protections of this amendment along with any and all other Constitutional protections. Neither the United States nor the Several States will offer such protections or liberties to the followers of muhammed."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 01:55:48 am »
Nope.

They already ignore the existing Constitution with regular impunity and with clever legalese circumvent it daily.

Adding new Amendments is not going to stop them from continuing to do so.

The rule of law in this country is dead, and was killed by BOTH parties and with full assistance from the Judiciary.

We live in a post-Constitutional Kleptocracy.

Very similar to my way of thinking:  If lawyers and judges are willing to twist the meanings of words of the present constitution, they'll be perfectly happy to twist the meanings of a new one.  No practical difference at the end of the day.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 02:07:51 am »
I firmly believe that the time has come for an Article V Convention of the States.

They currently do not follow the existing Constitution.

They currently circumvent the existing Constitution.

They ignore the existing Constitution, except when convenient for their agenda and cause.

No one in government or the Judiciary upholds the rule of law when the Constitution is violated.

No one in government or the Judiciary holds violators of the existing Constitution accountable.

So please, if the existing government will not enforce the current Supreme Law in the land, why would we assume adding more amendments that restrict what the cabal has already circumvented and cemented as legal precedent in the first place, work better than what they currently ignore?

We're dealing with a wholly corrupt, lawless and irredeemable institution, perverted at every level and hardened against efforts to restrain the oligarchy.

Article V will serve only to provide the moral justification for what must be done.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 02:22:45 am »
Article V will serve only to provide the moral justification for what must be done.

That's why the first thing the politician delegates will do, once they're broken free of the moorings that are supposed to govern a Convention, will be to repeal the 2nd Amendment, root and branch.  Seize the guns.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 06:41:29 am »
Why is Convention of States promoting Trump instead of limited government?

https://www.stridentconservative.com/why-is-convention-of-states-promoting-trump-instead-of-limited-government/
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 06:51:11 am »

After using the Convention of States to throw out their first attempt.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 07:07:49 am »
That's why the first thing the politician delegates will do, once they're broken free of the moorings that are supposed to govern a Convention, will be to repeal the 2nd Amendment, root and branch.  Seize the guns.

Proponents say that can never happen because 2/3 of the states have to ratify it.

I think it would be stupid to ignore the fact that traditional American values are rapidly becoming a minority viewpoint in the country and held among those who are older and remember what we were.  It's foolhardy to assume that with the right pressure, propaganda and corruption such as 'deem it ratified' that abolishing the Second Amendment and restricting the First could never happen.

Yes it can.

A majority of the population think our inalienable rights come from Government or the parchment and can be changed when needed to be changed or added to.

Notwithstanding the fact that state legislatures are not exactly as Constitutionally-rock-ribbed Conservative as we individuals are.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 09:37:29 am »
I’m with Levin and Hannity on this one.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 01:14:54 pm »
Proponents say that can never happen because 2/3 of the states have to ratify it.

I think it would be stupid to ignore the fact that traditional American values are rapidly becoming a minority viewpoint in the country and held among those who are older and remember what we were.  It's foolhardy to assume that with the right pressure, propaganda and corruption such as 'deem it ratified' that abolishing the Second Amendment and restricting the First could never happen.

Yes it can.

A majority of the population think our inalienable rights come from Government or the parchment and can be changed when needed to be changed or added to.

Notwithstanding the fact that state legislatures are not exactly as Constitutionally-rock-ribbed Conservative as we individuals are.

A frightening number of states have passed "National Popular Vote" laws (or are working on it), to disrupt the Electoral College.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 02:14:18 pm »
I'm down for an Article V convention. Contrary to what the Hill's opinion writer thinks, given the manner the Constitution has been perverted over the past 100 years I believed our system is doomed if we DON'T clarify certain clauses that currently are being misinterpreted.

The GOP would have the preponderance of delegates, so there's not much chance of the convention being hijacked by the leftist nutters.

I agree.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 02:15:28 pm »

Yes it can.

I thought it was 3/4?

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 03:48:56 pm »
Very similar to my way of thinking:  If lawyers and judges are willing to twist the meanings of words of the present constitution, they'll be perfectly happy to twist the meanings of a new one.  No practical difference at the end of the day.
That’s why the states need to take on the ultimate veto role, as intended by the framers.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 05:23:52 pm »
This is hardly breaking news. They have been working on this since 1917. Mostly in the norther parts of the US. For example,the statue of Stalin in a part in the northeast,the Farm Labor Party and similar communist fronts in Mn and other areas of the mid-west,and the actual CPUSA.

Not to mention the presidency of King Franklin and his commie cousin-wife.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:24:43 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2018, 05:26:46 pm »
That’s why the states need to take on the ultimate veto role, as intended by the framers.

@RetBobbyMI

That ended with Mr Lincoln's War.  The states only have the authority to say "Yessir,yessir,three bags full,SIR!" now.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!