Author Topic: Rage, Rage, Against the Dying of the Dream  (Read 583 times)

Offline endicom

Rage, Rage, Against the Dying of the Dream
« on: September 13, 2018, 07:16:19 pm »
American Greatness
Michael Walsh
Sept. 12, 2018

Homer’s Muse sings of the rage of Achilles, brought forth from his tent by the death of his friend Patroclus to engage the Trojan hero, Hector, in mortal combat. But Achilles’ anger solves nothing; although he kills Hector, he then desecrates the body by dragging it around the walls of Troy, thus violating the laws of warfare and sealing his own fate. His determination to avenge his friend thus becomes “the accursed rage that brought great suffering to the Achaeans.” In the end, it’s not the rage of Achilles that wins the war for the Greeks, but the trickery of Odysseus that finagles the wooden horse inside the impregnable gates of Ilium.

We are witnessing a similar self-destructive rage today: the rage of the American Left against the Trump Administration in general and the president in particular, an explosion of frustrated, impotent (but still dangerous) anger that has given up all pretense of genuine protest—against the results of a duly constituted American election, let us remember—and has devolved instead into a toddler’s extended tantrum. It bears the hallmarks of one of the most unseemly displays in American political history.

More... https://amgreatness.com/2018/09/12/rage-rage-against-the-dying-of-the-dream/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Rage, Rage, Against the Dying of the Dream
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 03:38:08 pm »
A truly excellent piece, and as such, it's typically ignored in this forum.

An excerpt that hits and hits hard:
"What besides a profound, educationally inculcated, and emotionally juvenile hatred for the United States motivates them to such paroxysms of hysteria? For the fastidious collaborationists known as the #NeverTrumpumpkins, they are personally offended by the president’s sometimes boorish behavior and have had their skirts ruffled by his flouting of what they consider to be the sacred rules, precepts, and preenciples of “The Conservative Movement.” In reality, however, most of them are simply returning to their roots as Democrats, their brief sojourn on the Right more an alliance of convenience than one of genuine principles."

Mr. Walsh has been writing some fine columns lately.
A little more:
"The Last Flicker of Consciousness
It was a dream of statist control, run by experts in Washington, and brooking only token opposition from the Vichycons across the aisle. It was a dream of “fundamental transformation” of the most intimate and personal areas of our lives, including the very nature of sex. It was a New Luddite dream of zero carbon emissions, technological water-treading (except in pacifying personal electronics), and the destruction of national sovereignty.

The Obama Administration represented the high-water mark of the leftist floodtide, at least during this generation’s flood season. They thought that the eight years of misery America had already endured under the Punahou Kid’s malignant stewardship would be capped and cemented by the four-to-eight-year reign of the Dowager Empress of Chappaqua, after which the deplorable country formerly known as “America” would have no hope of recovery. And when it didn’t happen, when 63 million of their formerly fellow Americans rose up and stopped Hillary cold in the Electoral College, they lost their minds in an Achillean rage that continues to this moment and is, if anything, intensifying as it reaches its climactic breakdown."

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 04:09:41 pm »
Punahou Kid & Empress Dowager of Chappaqua. Hehehe

A very nice summary of where we find ourselves today.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 05:45:19 pm »

"What besides a profound, educationally inculcated, and emotionally juvenile hatred for the United States motivates them to such paroxysms of hysteria? For the fastidious collaborationists known as the #NeverTrumpumpkins, they are personally offended by the president’s sometimes boorish behavior and have had their skirts ruffled by his flouting of what they consider to be the sacred rules, precepts, and preenciples of “The Conservative Movement.” In reality, however, most of them are simply returning to their roots as Democrats, their brief sojourn on the Right more an alliance of convenience than one of genuine principles."

@Fishrrman

DAYUM,but I wish I had written that!

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 06:00:38 pm »
@Fishrrman

DAYUM,but I wish I had written that!

Funny... I've never voted for a Democrat in 38 years... I first vote was for Reagan... And yet all you geniuses are just certain that I must be a closet leftest because I won't submit the Trump shit show. Even more amazing is I've been a "Republican" much, much longer than Trump has... Trump even threatened to run as an independent if he didn't get the Republican nomination - yet all of you demand loyalty to the party where the head of it you so adore has no such loyalty...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 07:24:18 pm »
Funny... I've never voted for a Democrat in 38 years... I first vote was for Reagan... And yet all you geniuses are just certain that I must be a closet leftest because I won't submit the Trump shit show. Even more amazing is I've been a "Republican" much, much longer than Trump has... Trump even threatened to run as an independent if he didn't get the Republican nomination - yet all of you demand loyalty to the party where the head of it you so adore has no such loyalty...

@DB

BLAH,BLAH,BLAH. Boy Jorge and Poppy are Republicans,too. So was John McLunatic and a bunch of other asshats.

And you are truly delusional when you accuse ME of demanding loyalty to the Dim-Lite Party.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Absalom

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:34:57 pm »

Mr. Walsh has been writing some fine columns lately.
A little more:
"The Last Flicker of Consciousness
It was a dream of statist control, run by experts in Washington, and brooking only token opposition from the Vichycons across the aisle. It was a dream of “fundamental transformation” of the most intimate and personal areas of our lives, including the very nature of sex. It was a New Luddite dream of zero carbon emissions, technological water-treading (except in pacifying personal electronics), and the destruction of national sovereignty.

The Obama Administration represented the high-water mark of the leftist floodtide, at least during this generation’s flood season. They thought that the eight years of misery America had already endured under the Punahou Kid’s malignant stewardship would be capped and cemented by the four-to-eight-year reign of the Dowager Empress of Chappaqua, after which the deplorable country formerly known as “America” would have no hope of recovery. And when it didn’t happen, when 63 million of their formerly fellow Americans rose up and stopped Hillary cold in the Electoral College, they lost their minds in an Achillean rage that continues to this moment and is, if anything, intensifying as it reaches its climactic breakdown."

------------------------------------
Excellent???
Wise ancients, such as Homer and Cicero understood that whatever impact/value
their words would have, would be measured against the future behavior of Man.
Uninterested in impressing anyone, they spoke the language of plain people.
Instead Mr. Walsh has chosen the language of pretentiousness w/words such as
inculcate, fastidious, paroxysms, preenciples?; among others.
Suggest posters may indeed be the wiser of the two in ignoring such hot air.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 08:58:49 pm »
If we work upon marble it will perish. If we work upon brass time will efface it. If we rear temples they will crumble to dust. But if we work upon men's immortal minds, if we imbue them with high principles, with the just fear of God and love of their fellow men, we engrave on those tablets something which no time can efface, and which will brighten and brighten to all eternity.

Daniel Webster: Speech in Faneuil Hall
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 09:13:27 pm »
If we work upon marble it will perish. If we work upon brass time will efface it. If we rear temples they will crumble to dust. But if we work upon men's immortal minds, if we imbue them with high principles, with the just fear of God and love of their fellow men, we engrave on those tablets something which no time can efface, and which will brighten and brighten to all eternity.

Daniel Webster: Speech in Faneuil Hall
Nice quote.  Doesn't sound like President Trump at all.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 09:17:37 pm »
Nice quote.  Doesn't sound like President Trump at all.

Who am I to question how God chose to answer my prayers?  I just need to do all I can to help him move the ball in my direction.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien