Author Topic: Meet The New Social Media Platform Taking On Facebook  (Read 1358 times)

rangerrebew

Meet The New Social Media Platform Taking On Facebook
« on: September 12, 2018, 05:37:51 pm »

Credit: Emily Cho
Sponsored
by Futurism Creative September 12, 2018 Future Society

Salman and Shaban Habib, the founders of HelloFriend, want you to get off of the internet.

“Harvard published a study recently showing that one of the reasons people are depressed is because of our social media,” says Salman, the younger of the two brothers. “It’s so skewed towards keeping people online. But people are social animals—we need to be meeting people in real life.”

It’s not such an unusual sentiment, especially in a cultural moment when the debate about social media— and its potential ills—has taken on increasing urgency. And who among us doesn’t sometimes find themselves wondering if it’s really healthy to spend so much time looking at other people’s vacation photos on Instagram? But an eagerness to get users to log-off isn’t exactly the type of thing you expect to hear from the founder of a social media startup.

https://futurism.com/hellofriend-new-social-media-platform-facebook-sponsored/

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Meet The New Social Media Platform Taking On Facebook
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 05:56:39 pm »
Credit: Emily Cho
Sponsored
by Futurism Creative September 12, 2018 Future Society

This topic is out of my wheel house, but anything that would cause Zuckenberg to lose 10's of billions of dollars would make me smile.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 06:05:15 pm »
I haven't been to Facebook in several months. I stopped about the time they started banning most conservatives. It no longer had any appeal. If I want to go to DailyKos or DU then I would go to the real thing. I have no use for the Facebook imitation of the New York Times.

Don't have a Twitter account. Never had any use for it.

Don't use Google. I'm currently using Bing. Haven't noticed any significant difference.

Still go to YouTube, but mostly for music videos and funny stuff. I don't use YouTube for anything political.

All in all, I am pretty well sanitized from those guys. They don't make a dime from me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:06:42 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 07:20:23 pm »
Use MeWe.com if you need a Facebook-type platform.
Use DuckDuckGo instead of Google.
Use Mailfence, Protonmail, or TutaNota instead of Gmail.
I don't have suggestions for Twitter or Youtube, although Vimeo seems to be cropping up more and more these days.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 09:35:31 pm »
Twitter alternative:  https://counter.social/about

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 03:12:34 am »
Tsarism
Tsarism Staff
Sept. 21, 2018

Each day brings new revelations about big-tech and their tyrannical actions and monopolistic practices. It’s time those in the crosshairs of this illegal behavior look for alternatives. At the end of the day, the truth is, you don’t need to send your money, advertising eyeballs, or support to these corrupt, anti-American companies.

Here are some alternatives.

Google Search – Google tracks everything you do. There is no reason to give this power to someone else. Your privacy matters. Delete Chrome and change your browser to Mozilla Firefox. Change the default search engine on your device to Duck Duck Go. They don’t track you. They advertise this as a badge of honor. This is an easy fix you can do in a few minutes.

More... https://tsarizm.com/opinion/2018/09/21/we-dont-need-tyrannical-big-tech-here-are-some-alternatives/

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 12:43:30 pm »
Don't change to FireFox, move to Brave, Brandon Eich's browser after Mozilla forced him out for wrongthink.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 02:10:46 pm »
Don't change to FireFox, move to Brave, Brandon Eich's browser after Mozilla forced him out for wrongthink.

I have Brave on my smartphone.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 02:26:22 pm »
I still have a FB account and even check it every now and then.  I do find it depressing and I finally figured out why.  I don't want to know that much about the people I love or like.  Like my nephew.  Great kid, and will be a great adult.  However, I inevitably think less of him when I read his teenaged musings.  Who wouldn't?  I don't want to hear it.  We connect at a certain level, and FB breaches that connection.  I don't want to hear the things he says to girls or his buddies, or the guy who cut him off in traffic.  I like him a lot better when we have boundaries. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 03:04:47 pm »
I still have a FB account and even check it every now and then.  I do find it depressing and I finally figured out why.  I don't want to know that much about the people I love or like.  Like my nephew.  Great kid, and will be a great adult.  However, I inevitably think less of him when I read his teenaged musings.  Who wouldn't?  I don't want to hear it.  We connect at a certain level, and FB breaches that connection.  I don't want to hear the things he says to girls or his buddies, or the guy who cut him off in traffic.  I like him a lot better when we have boundaries.

Hopefully he will learn his own boundaries.  Like why not to make public his thoughts about who cut him off in traffic.

I taught my girls, don't post anything in public you don't want to say to your grandma.  Because you are saying it to your grandma.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:06:45 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 03:17:11 pm »
Hopefully he will learn his own boundaries.  Like why not to make public his thoughts about who cut him off in traffic.

I taught my girls, don't post anything in public you don't want to say to your grandma.  Because you are saying it to your grandma.

I taught mine that too.  But, the nephew is just one of many. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 05:17:30 pm »

I have Brave on my smartphone.

@endicom  Do you like it?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline endicom

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 06:11:11 pm »
@endicom  Do you like it?

Brave has worked fine under Android. It blocks many videos but that can be good. If I want to see a video then I can switch to Chrome rather than unblocking Brave.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 06:15:42 pm »
Brave has worked fine under Android. It blocks many videos but that can be good. If I want to see a video then I can switch to Chrome rather than unblocking Brave.

Cool beans.  I D/L'ed it, and it seems pretty peppy compared to Chrome.  Last I tried Firefox on the Droid it was worthless.  Bloated.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 07:16:30 pm »
Cool beans.  I D/L'ed it, and it seems pretty peppy compared to Chrome.  Last I tried Firefox on the Droid it was worthless.  Bloated.

I use Palemoon on the android.  I've used it for several years.  Works just fine.