Author Topic: Academic Activists Send a Published Paper Down the Memory Hole  (Read 598 times)

Offline The_Reader_David

Academic Activists Send a Published Paper Down the Memory Hole
« on: September 10, 2018, 11:04:16 pm »
Academic Activists Send a Published Paper Down the Memory Hole
written by Theodore P. Hill   
full article at https://quillette.com/2018/09/07/academic-activists-send-a-published-paper-down-the-memory-hole/

In the highly controversial area of human intelligence, the ‘Greater Male Variability Hypothesis’ (GMVH) asserts that there are more idiots and more geniuses among men than among women. Darwin’s research on evolution in the nineteenth century found that, although there are many exceptions for specific traits and species, there is generally more variability in males than in females of the same species throughout the animal kingdom.

. . . .

I came up with a simple intuitive mathematical argument based on biological and evolutionary principles and enlisted Sergei Tabachnikov, a Professor of Mathematics at Pennsylvania State University, to help me flesh out the model. When I posted a preprint on the open-access mathematics archives in May of last year, a variability researcher at Durham University in the UK got in touch by email. He described our joint paper as “an excellent summary of the research to date in this field,” adding that “it certainly underpins my earlier work on impulsivity, aggression and general evolutionary theory and it is nice to see an actual theoretical model that can be drawn upon in discussion (which I think the literature, particularly in education, has lacked to date). I think this is a welcome addition to the field.”

. . . .

Once we had written up our findings, Sergei and I decided to try for publication in the Mathematical Intelligencer, the ‘Viewpoint’ section of which specifically welcomes articles on contentious topics. The Intelligencer’s editor-in-chief is Marjorie Wikler Senechal, Professor Emerita of Mathematics and the History of Science at Smith College. She liked our draft, and declared herself to be untroubled by the prospect of controversy.

. . . .

No sooner had Sergei posted a preprint of our accepted article on his website than we began to encounter problems. On August 16, a representative of the Women In Mathematics (WIM) chapter in his department at Penn State contacted him to warn that the paper might be damaging to the aspirations of impressionable young women. “As a matter of principle,” she wrote, “I support people discussing controversial matters openly … At the same time, I think it’s good to be aware of the effects.” While she was obviously able to debate the merits of our paper, she worried that other, presumably less sophisticated, readers “will just see someone wielding the authority of mathematics to support a very controversial, and potentially sexist, set of ideas…”

A few days later, she again contacted Sergei on behalf of WIM and invited him to attend a lunch that had been organized for a “frank and open discussion” about our paper. He would be allowed 15 minutes to describe and explain our results, and this short presentation would be followed by readings of prepared statements by WIM members and then an open discussion. “We promise to be friendly,” she announced, “but you should know in advance that many (most?) of us have strong disagreements with what you did.”

On September 4, Sergei sent me a weary email. “The scandal at our department,” he wrote, “shows no signs of receding.” At a faculty meeting the week before, the Department Head had explained that sometimes values such as academic freedom and free speech come into conflict with other values to which Penn State was committed. A female colleague had then instructed Sergei that he needed to admit and fight bias, adding that the belief that “women have a lesser chance to succeed in mathematics at the very top end is bias.” Sergei said he had spent “endless hours” talking to people who explained that the paper was “bad and harmful” and tried to convince him to “withdraw my name to restore peace at the department and to avoid losing whatever political capital I may still have.” Ominously, “analogies with scientific racism were made by some; I am afraid, we are likely to hear more of it in the future.”

And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline The_Reader_David

Re: Academic Activists Send a Published Paper Down the Memory Hole
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 11:13:29 pm »
It's a long read, and it only gets worse from there:  the NSF demands that the usual funding notice (since one of the authors was supported by an NSF grant) be suppressed, a woman mathematician at U. Chicago (Amie Wilkinson) starts a Facebook vilification campaign, the journal withdraws its acceptance.  Another journal steps up, publishes the paper, then after it was online briefly, removes it.  Completely Orwellian, or would be except for arXiv.org, where the latest version of the paper can be read here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1703.04184.pdf.  (Download a copy in case they get to the Simons Foundation, too.)

Of course, if it is a theorem that the sort of dynamical system governing biological evolution will produced more variability in traits of the less selective sex (in terms of mate choice) than in the more selective sex, it's a theorem whether the left likes it or not.  Suppressing publication only serves to burnish the credentials of the left as anti-science (or in this case anti-mathematics) and impede the progress of human knowledge. 

Pythagoras knew that the square-root of 2 was irrational but forbade his disciples to talk about the fact because it didn't fit with his dogma about ratios.   

Put Amie Wilkinson's name on the role of anti-science right along with Pope Paul V, Cardinal Robert Bellarmine, and Trofim Lysenko.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:16:28 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 12:12:43 pm »
I saw this in another place.  After giving it some thought I realized that my extended family (especially on my mother's side) is a good example.  Lots of men clustered on the very high IQ end of the scale (often without good sense) and lots of very competent women holding families and businesses together.

This is the 2nd scientific paper I have read about in the last couple of weeks that has been sent down a dark hole because it didn't fit the PC gospel. 

It's like we are sliding into the dark ages again in some ways. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:13:36 pm by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 06:35:18 pm »
This type of anti-science is very damaging to science and general understanding.  Leftism is fascistic and seeks to deny and hide that which does not advance the leftist cause.