Author Topic: As U.S. Army Rethinks How Soldiers Will Communicate In Future Combat, Harsh Realities Loom  (Read 388 times)

rangerrebew

As U.S. Army Rethinks How Soldiers Will Communicate In Future Combat, Harsh Realities Loom
Loren Thompson

There's a debate going on in the U.S. Army about what the military service's next combat vehicle and rotorcraft should look like. When it comes to communicating on the battlefields of tomorrow, though, everybody in the Army seems to agree on what they would like.

It's an iPhone.

The smart phones made by Apple and competing Android brands offer everything that Army leaders would like in their future tactical communications architecture -- mobility, simplicity, versatility, reliability. Soldiers accustomed to using them want something better than the clunky, complicated "comms" gear that brigade combat teams lug around the world.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2018/09/07/as-u-s-army-rethinks-how-soldiers-will-communicate-in-future-combat-harsh-realities-loom/#29402d4342a1
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:38:36 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Makes sense to me. I am eaten alive with envy at the com equipment modern soldiers have in this world of orbiting satellite communications.

When I was in the army,teams deployed to remote areas were still climbing trees to set up an antenna and peddling the generator for the old Angry-109,which was in use in WW-2. If you have never had the misfortune of cranking away for power to send sitreps back to base,do NOT feel put upon.

Not to mention drones. Drones can do a lot of the work recon teams used to do,and not put anyone's life at risk while doing it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!