Author Topic: Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge  (Read 5327 times)

Offline Suppressed

Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge
« on: September 09, 2018, 02:08:31 am »
Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge
Sep 8, 2018,7:50 pm
Gordon Kelly Contributor
Consumer Tech

Microsoft has always described Windows 10 “as a service” and leaks have already revealed new monthly charges are coming. Of course, for Windows 7 owners this was never something they expected to pay. But times change…

In a new blog post entitled “Helping customers shift to a modern desktop”, Microsoft has announced that it will indeed start charging Windows 7 customers a monthly fee from January 14th 2020, if they want to keep their computers safe.

[...]

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/09/08/microsoft-windows-7-monthly-charge-windows-10-free-upgrade-cost/amp/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 02:08:52 am »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 02:25:14 am »
damn them...that's me....I have until 2020...I'll just buy a new computer or maybe just stop downloading updates>>..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 02:29:09 am »
   The techies will figure a way around this but it will be too complicated for most to understand because it will require a Reboot.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 02:50:48 am »
Yall be pining for my XP operating system soon enough...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 02:54:03 am »
I don't think Win10 as a service is true. They may begin charging a service to hook up to all their crap... But the OS will remain as it is...

If Win10 as a service DOES come true, there's a dozen or so machines here that will be running Linux the next day, and I will be makin bank moving folks onto Mint.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 12:47:31 pm »
I don't think Win10 as a service is true. They may begin charging a service to hook up to all their crap... But the OS will remain as it is...

If Win10 as a service DOES come true, there's a dozen or so machines here that will be running Linux the next day, and I will be makin bank moving folks onto Mint.

It makes sense for them though - they can't squeeze out much one-time profit on a $250 Win10 laptop.

I wonder how they've fared so far with MS Office as a service? I also wonder about the possibility of bundling Word and Excel into a low-end version of Win10 that wouldn't cannibalize corporate sales. They obviously want students indoctrinated into their ecosystem, but I suppose they have other options to achieve that...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 12:52:32 pm »
Says it's targeted towards businesses.

Between this crap and the warning not to install Google Chrome crap, I wonder what degenerates are running Microsoft these days, and if they really do want to drive people to Linux for good.

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 01:12:47 pm »

Five computers here, four are mint and one is a dual boot with mint and win 10.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 08:09:18 pm »
Five computers here, four are mint and one is a dual boot with mint and win 10.

Yeah... I fix em for a living, and I learn by doing... thus I remain a Windows house... That and interactivity problems... If there was a reliable SAMBA, I would at least be an hybrid network, even now. It is mostly all one way or the other.  :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 08:11:10 pm »
It makes sense for them though - they can't squeeze out much one-time profit on a $250 Win10 laptop.

I wonder how they've fared so far with MS Office as a service? I also wonder about the possibility of bundling Word and Excel into a low-end version of Win10 that wouldn't cannibalize corporate sales. They obviously want students indoctrinated into their ecosystem, but I suppose they have other options to achieve that...

I don't think it will make sense. I think people will flee. I know I will.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 10:33:52 pm »

I will too.  In fact, since I'm retiring this week I'm inclined to get my next machine without Windows at all.  I only kept it to maintain platform compatibility with my work software.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 10:48:36 pm »
Paying ransom for an OS that you already buy when you buy the PC?  **nononono*

In my eyes MS. is no better than those scammers who extort people with malware.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:50:19 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DB

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 10:49:39 pm »
MS got very wealthy in the OS business. I started with DOS 1.? or 2.01, I don't clearly remember. Now they are trying to dictate terms on how their OS is used by customers, calling it a "service". They need to pay a heavy price for this.

I just purchased a new XPS15 I9 computer with Windows 10 because I need a portable computer with near workstation horsepower. Something I very grudgingly did due to my past experiences with Windows 10. And they keep on sticking in more knives... Sooner than later it is going to be 1 knife too many.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 10:50:10 pm »
I will too.  In fact, since I'm retiring this week I'm inclined to get my next machine without Windows at all.  I only kept it to maintain platform compatibility with my work software.

I am BIG on Mint... Pretty much any Debian... Ubuntu's new interface is brilliant on the TVs... If it wasn't for streaming media from my main TV box, all of my TV's would be running Ubuntu... Touching once again on the difficulties of an hybrid network...

I am not doing much in development anymore, and I would really easily switch gears out of 'computer tech' The money ain't that great at it anymore anyway, and I am BONE TIRED of retrieving data from busted HDDs, thumbs, and SD cards...

YUP. I could become a Linux house just about overnight.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 11:12:55 pm »
@roamer_1  Is Mint plug 'n' Play with USB peripherals?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 11:19:15 pm »
@roamer_1  Is Mint plug 'n' Play with USB peripherals?

Pretty much. I had a couple USB toasters that didn't read... both the same brand.  Every now and then a cheap-seats thumb... Printers and such, I wouldn't know... Been fully digital for a long time.

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 11:24:50 pm »
I dual boot Ubuntu on both my computers, although I never boot into it, except when needed, like when I was playing with Kubernetes. My work is nearly 100% playing in the cloud these days.

I hardly ever use a traditional PC at home anyway, 90% of the time it's my phone, or my tablet, or my media streaming devices, etc. etc.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:25:25 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 11:29:00 pm »

I meant to say that it makes sense for them to try . With 3 active PC's I'd probably convert 2 for sure. The 3rd would be a problem, with migrating away from Office and some video capture and editing packages.

Unfortunately I'd have to guess that even at ~$6-8/mo MS could lose half their customer base and still come out way ahead.

OTOH, make the market 4x+ times more lucrative and Apple might well decide to unbundle the Mac OS, a potential nightmare for MS...

---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 11:30:56 pm »
Yall be pining for my XP operating system soon enough...
I'm still running XP on all but one machine. That's a Win10, but I haven't even fired it up yet.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 11:32:24 pm »
Pretty much. I had a couple USB toasters that didn't read... both the same brand.  Every now and then a cheap-seats thumb... Printers and such, I wouldn't know... Been fully digital for a long time.

My printer is on my router.  Hopefully it can be found by the Linux.

Mrs. Liberty has a W7 laptop machine (Lenovo), and we're not interested in paying ransom to keep it running Windows7, or the pain of trying to upgrade an old box to W10.  She just needs it to surf the web and print.
I will NOT comply.

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 11:34:26 pm »
It looks like you would still be allowed to run older OSes all you want, instead of not getting updates (as with XP), you would be able to get them if you paid for them.

:shrug:

They should have done this with XP, I bet a lot of people would have paid to run XP rather than abandoned it entirely.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:35:16 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 11:37:02 pm »
My printer is on my router.  Hopefully it can be found by the Linux.

Mrs. Liberty has a W7 laptop machine (Lenovo), and we're not interested in paying ransom to keep it running Windows7, or the pain of trying to upgrade an old box to W10.  She just needs it to surf the web and print.

:shrug: As always. DL a mint ISO and boot it live before install. If it works, it works. And it likely will.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 11:39:31 pm »
:shrug: As always. DL a mint ISO and boot it live before install. If it works, it works. And it likely will.

That's the plan.  I need to go out and buy some RW DVDs.  (I assume the bootables don't come on CDROM anymore?  Haven't DLed one in ages.)  Boot off a thumb maybe?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 11:41:15 pm »
That's it. I'm going back to DOS.