Author Topic: Osaka claims U.S. Open title after Serena meltdown  (Read 5961 times)

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: Osaka claims U.S. Open title after Serena meltdown
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 05:53:49 pm »
Speaking of money ...

Serena Williams was fined $17,000 for three code violations during Saturday’s U.S. Open final that caused the tennis player to be penalized a game when she criticized the chair umpire for a controversial call and labeled him a “thief.” 

The tournament referee's office announced Sunday it docked Williams $10,000 for "verbal abuse" of chair umpire Carlos Ramos, $4,000 for being warned for coaching and $3,000 for breaking her racket.

The money comes out of her prize money of $1.85 million as the runner-up.
Serena Williams Fined $17,000 for Violations During US Open Final

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2018, 05:59:50 pm »
Serena looks more muscular than fat....as far as the steroid use I have no idea if the Tennis Federation monitors that.

They do monitor, yes.

LONDON (AP) — Serena Williams says it isn't fair that she has been drug-tested more than other American tennis players this year.

"Just test everyone equally," the seven-time Wimbledon champion said Sunday at a pre-tournament news conference.

She was asked about the issue because of a recent report by Deadspin that said Williams had been checked five times in 2018 by June, more than other U.S. women and men in the sport.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/07/serena-williams-says-its-unfair-shes-drug-tested-more/74918/
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline musiclady

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2018, 06:04:51 pm »
Serena played the gender card, too. Like her opponent isn’t female :shrug:

That wasn't the point she was making.

Not excusing her outburst, but male tennis players have been far more out of line without punishment than she was.

It's a valid point.  Male athletes are allowed to be babies without criticism or penalty, even with praise.

That said, I don't think ANY athlete should act like a child, including Serena.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2018, 06:06:03 pm »
Osaka played an incredible tournament and final. Serena behaved very badly and that was the real shame.

This ^^^

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online mountaineer

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2018, 06:14:24 pm »

Rita Panahi  Verified account @RitaPanahi
14h14 hours ago

Was Serena “sticking up for women’s rights” when she threatened violence against a female line judge in 2009 at the US Open or when she abused a female umpire during 2011 US Open or when she threatened to sue a female umpire at Wimbledon in 2016...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2018, 06:19:42 pm »
Has Serina ever taken a chromosome test?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2018, 06:21:30 pm »
Has Serina ever taken a chromosome test?

She just had a baby a year ago so my guess she is female.. :shrug:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2018, 06:23:34 pm »
Richard Ings was a professional chair umpire from 1986 to 1993 and was ATP Tour Executive Vice-President, Rules and Competition, from 2001 to 2005. He was ump for the 1987 U.S. Open McEnroe match, where Johnny screamed and cursed at him. He writes:
... As someone that has sat in the umpire’s chair in front of a raucous full house US Open crowd and been tested under fire in front of a global television audience, I have a great deal of empathy and admiration for Ramos and his officiating.

In the course of this match, Ramos issued a warning, a point penalty and a game penalty against Williams for violations of the grand slam code of conduct.  The warning was triggered when Williams' coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, made clear and repeated coaching gestures to his player on the court.  For a professional umpire, keeping an eye on the coach is standard practice. All coaches know that such hand gestures are a breach of the code of conduct.

The point penalty was triggered when Williams destroyed her racquet on the court after having her serve broken. Apart from the bad look for the sport of a player violently breaking a racquet on court, it is also dangerous to on-court officials, ball persons and front-row spectators as shards go flying.

All players know that destroying a racquet on the court is a mandatory code violation.

The game penalty was triggered after Williams, in a lengthy tirade, loudly accused the umpire of being a "thief" stealing points from her. Ramos let the tirade slide, showing great composure until Williams accused him of cheating.

All players know that publicly attacking the honesty of the umpire is going to result in an immediate code violation.

Ramos made absolutely the correct calls as a chair umpire in each of these three incidents.  ...

He concludes:
However, Williams faced neither sexism or racism in this grand slam final. We should not let her record, as glowing as it is, overshadow the fact that on this day, in this match Williams was wrong.

The decisions made by Ramos had nothing to do with sexism or racism. They had everything to do with observing clear breaches of the grand slam code of conduct and then having the courage to call them without fear or favour.
Read the whole thing at Sydney Morning Herald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2018, 07:52:42 pm »
I have read and heard, about how hard it is to remain at the top of rock music stardom. I think that world class athletes have a similarly tough challenge, to keep going.It I is nothing new. One new top performer was advised by Quincy Joes, they had about four years, or so.

Leon Russell, who rose rapidly to stardom , wrote a song about it "Tight Rope" (He had been in the business as a top notch studio session musician for years, But when he hit the top. But he didn't last long at that level.)

The Beatles broke up. The Eagles broke up.

So compared to their peers, Serena Williams, Tiger Woods and Tom Brady have far exceeded expectaions.

Bjorn Borg's retirement at age 26 is noteworthy.

! No longer available
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2018, 07:55:16 pm »
Richard Ings was a professional chair umpire from 1986 to 1993 and was ATP Tour Executive Vice-President, Rules and Competition, from 2001 to 2005. He was ump for the 1987 U.S. Open McEnroe match, where Johnny screamed and cursed at him. He writes:
He concludes: Read the whole thing at Sydney Morning Herald

Nice.  Puts it in perspective.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2018, 10:20:07 pm »
...   Now if this had been Venus Williams—one of the classiest and most gracious players of her generation—you might be able to read the sequence as an aberration, a moment where a player, in the heat of battle, was finally pushed over the line. Maybe she was wrong, but it's just a one-off.

But if you read it in the context of Serena's career, you see it for what it is: bullying.

Serena has a history of lashing out in big matches when she's getting beaten by inferior players. In 2009, Serena was getting worked by Kim Clijsters in the semis at the U.S. Open when she got called for a foot fault—again, the call itself was correct. She exploded in a tirade against the (female) line judge that included a physical threat.  ...

In two of the three incidents, the supposedly wicked officials were women. In all three of them, Serena lost in straight sets to players who aren't even close to her league. Seen in this context, Serena's Saturday night outburst looks less like a "strong woman" being abused by an overreaching, sexist official and more like a bully trying to build an alibi for herself as she's losing a big match.  ...
Jonathan V. Last, "Serena Williams Got What She Deserved."

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2018, 10:27:52 pm »

Leon Russell, who rose rapidly to stardom , wrote a song about it "Tight Rope" (He had been in the business as a top notch studio session musician for years, But when he hit the top. But he didn't last long at that level.)

Billy Joel wrote a song with a similar sentiment...

! No longer available

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2018, 10:57:49 pm »
How awful for Osaka, to see her hero pitch a fit and act like a spoiled two-year old because Osaka beat her.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2018, 11:00:12 pm »
Im sure she will sorely miss that  $17K. /s
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2018, 11:13:23 pm »
Jonathan V. Last, "Serena Williams Got What She Deserved."

Although I appreciate what the writer said about Serena deserving credit for never playing the race card, I'm not sure she deserves it - her sport truly is an international one. She'd be impugning literally EVERYONE & I do not believe she'd get the same sympathetic hearing she'd get here in the States alone.

Calling the occasional male judge out out as a sexist is relatively safe. And of course it will suffice to just threaten to stuff your racket down the errant female llne judge's throat.

Offline LucasWhite

• IMDEX.org - Image-based Encyclopedia
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2018, 11:35:34 pm »
 :beer:

Offline LucasWhite

• IMDEX.org - Image-based Encyclopedia
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2018, 11:38:05 pm »
 :seeya:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 02:26:33 am »
Maybe Nike will pay it for her.  :pondering:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 03:33:46 am »
That wasn't the point she was making.

Not excusing her outburst, but male tennis players have been far more out of line without punishment than she was.

It's a valid point.  Male athletes are allowed to be babies without criticism or penalty, even with praise.

That said, I don't think ANY athlete should act like a child, including Serena.
Hold it. There is one big distinction.

Athletes, male and female, frequently, in the passion of the game, get upset. Most are punished. Unsportsmanlike conduct is a foul in every sport. But never, in my decades of life, have I ever heard any top level athlete tell an official "you owe me" anything. That's the line Ms. Williams crossed. It's not the anger or frustration; that's always been part of sport. It's the entitlement.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 03:35:44 am »
Maybe Nike will pay it for her.  :pondering:
"Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing a nominal fine."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 05:58:56 am »
Not the first time...  check out 1:00 and 1:55
! No longer available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNwc7o_0Sgg
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2018, 12:34:15 pm »

Right?  I mean, it was almost a whole PERCENT of her paycheck.  Ouch.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 01:11:44 pm »
Right?  I mean, it was almost a whole PERCENT of her paycheck.  Ouch.

@Polly Ticks

It's not about the money lost from losing one match at her level. It's about ego,and EVERYBODY that is successful in life has a huge ego. You just can't be uber successful in life without being having an immense amount of self-confidence in your abilities.

Some people just seem to hide it better than others.

BTW,I just saw the press conference after the match today,and Serena stepped up to the line and congratulated and praised the young woman who beat her. Even smiled while hugging her. IMNSHO,this redeemed her character. That's not something easy to do in a competitive business,and the sports business is about as competitive as it gets.

My hat is off to her. Class move.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2018, 01:31:10 pm »
Hold it. There is one big distinction.

Athletes, male and female, frequently, in the passion of the game, get upset. Most are punished. Unsportsmanlike conduct is a foul in every sport. But never, in my decades of life, have I ever heard any top level athlete tell an official "you owe me" anything. That's the line Ms. Williams crossed. It's not the anger or frustration; that's always been part of sport. It's the entitlement.

Point taken.

Just for the record, again........... there is NO excuse for Serena's behavior, and for the negative impact it had on Osaka's well deserved win.

The point I was making, and stand by, is that there is a standard of behavior for women in sports (and other competitive activities) that is not the same for men.  Men are allowed more aggression without criticism most of the time.  Women are not.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2018, 01:36:37 pm »
@Polly Ticks

It's not about the money lost from losing one match at her level. It's about ego,and EVERYBODY that is successful in life has a huge ego. You just can't be uber successful in life without being having an immense amount of self-confidence in your abilities.

Some people just seem to hide it better than others.

BTW,I just saw the press conference after the match today,and Serena stepped up to the line and congratulated and praised the young woman who beat her. Even smiled while hugging her. IMNSHO,this redeemed her character. That's not something easy to do in a competitive business,and the sports business is about as competitive as it gets.

My hat is off to her. Class move.

I heard a commenter saying that Serena is the best tennis player right now, but she's definitely not a champion.