Author Topic: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party  (Read 57952 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2018, 04:25:10 pm »
Yes.  Some people are so mired in hatred that they are blinded to reality.

Good things are happening.  Government agencies are slowly being cut back and some eliminated.  The economy is better.  Refusing to acknowledge that because it might not last is so short-sighted.

We have no way of knowing what will last or what will happen but I see good things happening.  Just look at the two new Supremes we will have if all goes well.  That's an accomplishment Republicans should be cheering.

As for Sasse, the people who are cheering him now are the same ones who would criticize him if he ... well, I don't know what he could do.  He certainly can't run as a Republican so maybe he can be the new hero for the pie-in-the-sky crowd.

Yes, good things are happening.   But it is Trump that, right now, poses the gravest threat to all that good news.    He insists that this fall's elections be a referendum on him and his style,  not the growing prosperity.    That risks all - voters are expected to make the subtle and difficult decision to recognize that prosperity and reward Republicans while cringing nightly at the latest Presidential tantrum.     That is a lot to ask - too much,  I believe, to save the House.   And with the House in Dem hands,  the next two years will be Crazytown, 24/7.       
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline jpsb

« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2018, 04:27:14 pm »
@jpsb
Roberts was another golden boy at the time... Heck, he came Cruz endorsed. I was happy at his nomination for that reason, if no other. Turns out it was a very bad call. So I am ever inured from crediting judges till I find out what they are exactly. No skin off Tump's nose for it... I think his choices are well advised... but no credit yet either.

Yeah Roberts fooled a lot of people. Ann Coulter gets a lot of credit for saying "Wait a minute,
what do we really know about Roberts".

Online roamer_1

« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2018, 04:37:06 pm »
Yeah Roberts fooled a lot of people. Ann Coulter gets a lot of credit for saying "Wait a minute,
what do we really know about Roberts".

Yep. Though I don't generally credit Coulter with much. But that IS the problem. With all the spin and turd polish, there really is no way to even guess what's being shoved down our throat.

I know better than to trust the MSM... But I have come to find out that I can't trust 'conservative' media sources either. They don't tell it straight anymore... And maybe they never did.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2018, 04:41:28 pm »
Senator Sasse can consider it all he wants, it might wash in Nebraska; but we know, in the big picture, he won't get too far.  It's just being a maverick.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #304 on: September 10, 2018, 04:42:16 pm »
Giving no-credit works both ways, Trump has done a lot on a lot of platforms. No credit to those who speak against him all the way as well, we'd be having Democrats run things.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #305 on: September 10, 2018, 04:53:03 pm »
The House is sending bills to the Senate and they die in the Senate. The GOP only has a 2 seat
majority, without D support nothing can get passed a closure vote (60 votes) and no D will
support anything Trump wants.

Yet they were still able to pass a half a billion dollars in funding for Planned Parenthood plus an additional $1 trillion in wasteful spending with money that we don't have.  Go figure.

At least we have a few Conservatives like Ben Sasse who are willing to stand on principle and vote against all this leftist BS.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

« Reply #306 on: September 10, 2018, 04:56:11 pm »
Yet they were still able to pass a half a billion dollars in funding for Planned Parenthood plus an additional $1 trillion in wasteful spending with money that we don't have.  Go figure.

At least we have a few Conservatives like Ben Sasse who are willing to stand on principle and vote against all this leftist BS.

Yeah, and Ben Sasse does not determine if the Government is shut down or not, or the impasse that the Senate can NOT in any way, pass a bill defunding Planned Parenthood. So, Ben Sasse certainly isn't doing anything notable. 

Throw stones if one must. I thought I heard you speak highly of Bush, remind me when he defunded Planned Parenthood, got it! Never. It's not even been on the agenda.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2018, 04:56:14 pm »
@roamer_1   You are the only absolutely relentless NTer I don't have on ignore, but you are getting close.

One wonders what you are like in real life.  I hope you are using this forum to get rid of all your hate and negativity and saving the people in your family.  But you are hurting those of us who have to read your rants.

Sorry @Emjay , but I missed your little screed. By all means then, put me on ignore, that I might join my fellows. Anyone who must resort to liberal 'hater' tactics probably isn't worth talking to anyway.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2018, 04:58:51 pm »

At least, some Conservatives can take credit for the pro-life actions of this administration, the nominees, yes, it is not clear how they will vote, defunding International Planned Parenthood, giving states the right to defund Planned Parenthood without being sued as some states may want that.  And there are more accomplishments as well.

So, the Never-Trumpers get NO credit for any of this, standing up for life.

The rest is about being realistic and being in the real world, meaning, the government would have been shut down with practically no way to get it back up, great, great, if one is anti-government but that would not work either.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:59:29 pm by TomSea »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #309 on: September 10, 2018, 05:01:36 pm »

Does Trump get no credit for helping the senate return to regular order to pass discrete appropriations bills for the first time in 20 years?

After all, after signing the last omibus spending bill he did declare 'never again'.

Maybe its just a coincidence.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #310 on: September 10, 2018, 05:07:23 pm »
At least, some Conservatives can take credit for the pro-life actions of this administration, the nominees, yes, it is not clear how they will vote, defunding International Planned Parenthood, giving states the right to defund Planned Parenthood without being sued as some states may want that.  And there are more accomplishments as well.

My point is that we have a Republican House, a Republican Senate, and a Republican President, and yet action was taken to provide Planned Parenthood with $500 million in taxpayer money for the next year.  In other words, if Congress had done nothing, Planned Parenthood would have received nothing.  Yet this Republican Congress took action to provide that funding, and the President signed on.  And there is NOTHING Conservative about that.

So, the Never-Trumpers get NO credit for any of this, standing up for life.

What 'Never-Trumpers'?  Who are these NT boogeymen that keep getting brought up on these threads again and again?  This is more Ryan and McConnell's doing than anyone else.  Yet the part that is even more whack is that we have Senators like Ben Sasse who actually voted against this BS, yet they are maligned and ridiculed by Trump sycophants on this forum.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #311 on: September 10, 2018, 05:10:43 pm »
Does Trump get no credit for helping the senate return to regular order to pass discrete appropriations bills for the first time in 20 years?

Absolutely, positively, yes, yes, and yes again.  Like I have been saying for the last two years, when Trump does something Conservative, I will praise him.  And when he does something liberal, I will criticize him.  And that goes for Paul Ryan, John McCain, Ted Cruz, and Ben Sasse as well.

For me, I refuse to put any person or personality above Conservatism.  Principles before personalities.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2018, 05:16:22 pm »
I most certainly have.

LOL!   That's unadulterated bullshit.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline skeeter

« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2018, 05:17:10 pm »
Absolutely, positively, yes, yes, and yes again.  Like I have been saying for the last two years, when Trump does something Conservative, I will praise him.  And when he does something liberal, I will criticize him.  And that goes for Paul Ryan, John McCain, Ted Cruz, and Ben Sasse as well.

For me, I refuse to put any person or personality above Conservatism.  Principles before personalities.
:beer:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2018, 05:25:09 pm »
In the famous words of Spiro Agnew, NTers are mostly Nattering Nabobs of Negativity.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #315 on: September 10, 2018, 05:28:45 pm »
Sorry @Emjay , but I missed your little screed. By all means then, put me on ignore, that I might join my fellows. Anyone who must resort to liberal 'hater' tactics probably isn't worth talking to anyway.

Just proof that they really do just want an echo chamber - and if given the chance, would cheer Trump imposing an Internet Fairness Doctrine so that anything negative about their political messiah and king can be purged and punished by government's hand.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline TomSea

« Reply #316 on: September 10, 2018, 05:29:36 pm »
I'll say for Senator Ben Sasse what is true for Senators Cruz, Paul, Lee, Rubio, Cotton and I don't want to leave anyone out, their voices are important.

In one instance, we admire their independent thought, then, at the same time, we want them to be uniform with other Senators. This doesn't totally work at this point because most of these above vote how we want. Rubio was weak in being in the "gang of four"; but they probably did want to work things out.

We've got legislative problems and we can't work them out. If the House falls, there will be real, real gridlock as in under Obama.

Criticizing Sasse for me, it just a futile exercise, he votes conservative and he deserves his opinion to be aired. He does have to be careful if he is just talk with this.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #317 on: September 10, 2018, 05:31:02 pm »
LOL!   That's unadulterated bullshit.

No... I am QUITE happy that Zinke is opening the West back up to logging and timber sales (I even argued for the lumber tariff against Canada a little bit, sorta), I like a lot of what is happening in education, and just yesterday I said that cutting EPA by 8% in personnel is a good thing (just not WOW!)

All of that is creditable to Tumpy the Wonder Clown.

But by the same token, do not ever expect me to be unequivocally gunge-ho about anything - I am not built that way... I will always explore the unintended consequences.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #318 on: September 10, 2018, 05:32:50 pm »

Exactly right, and as it should be.

:beer:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #319 on: September 10, 2018, 05:39:36 pm »
Just proof that they really do just want an echo chamber - and if given the chance, would cheer Trump imposing an Internet Fairness Doctrine so that anything negative about their political messiah and king can be purged and punished by government's hand.

Yeah... My ignore is utterly empty. No need to hide my eyes from dissent.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #320 on: September 10, 2018, 05:46:08 pm »
Yeah... My ignore is utterly empty. No need to hide my eyes from dissent.

There's an Ignore button?  Why?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #321 on: September 10, 2018, 05:56:42 pm »
There's an Ignore button?  Why?

No, there's an ignore list - back in your profile options somewhere...
Doesn't do much... Just collapses any comment from anyone who you have put on that list...
You can always open the collapse and view it anyway, and 9 times out of 10, somebody will quote it and you'll wind up reading it regardless... So meh.

Easier to just scroll on by.  :shrug:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2018, 06:02:14 pm »
Paraphrasing Isaiah 30:9-14 in rebuttal to what this thread illustrates so clearly.

For these are a rebellious people, people who delight in being deceived, people unwilling to listen to foundational truth.

They say to the Watchmen warning of consequences, “shut up with your negative nabobbery!” and to the Principled, “Give us no more lectures of what is right!
Tell us only pleasant things, foretell only the glorious illusions we wholeheartedly believe in, tell us lies our itching ears demand to hear!"

"Shove your stupid morality and purity! Get off your path and high horse, and stop confronting us with Conservative truths and biblical morality.”

Therefore this is what the lessons of history, human nature and the Divine Governor of the Universe teach:

Because this nation and people rejected the warnings, despised the message, trusted in perversion and depended on deceit, our follies and evil are become for our nation like a high wall, cracked and bulging, that collapses suddenly, in an instant. It will break in pieces like glass, shattered so mercilessly that among its pieces not a fragment will be found but ashes."
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online roamer_1

« Reply #323 on: September 10, 2018, 06:05:42 pm »
Paraphrasing Isaiah 30:9-14 in rebuttal to what this thread illustrates so clearly.

Neatly done, and just so.  :beer:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #324 on: September 10, 2018, 07:03:04 pm »
Sasse Boy=

Harvard, Oxford, Yale

PhD

Academic or government

period

Never really worked for a living, outside college or government.

We already have far too many like that

No significant accomplishments, since HS Valedictorian

Sucks taxpayers' teat for a career.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln