Author Topic: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party  (Read 58015 times)

Offline jpsb

Re: GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2018, 08:37:32 pm »
Wow.  Someone unwilling to sacrifice his Conservative convictions.  Thanks for posting.  I like Sasse even more after reading that.

I don't like people willing to send this country into a Marxist hell whole just so they can say they were
pure and stood by there principle when that means the country gets ruined. Screw them they are
cowards, afraid to make the hard choices when the going get tough.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2018, 08:39:08 pm »
I don't like people willing to send this country into a Marxist hell whole just so they can say they were
pure and stood by there principle when that means the country gets ruined. Screw them they are

So you hate yourself for doing the same thing the election before.  Have you sought help for your self-loathing?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jpsb

« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2018, 08:40:43 pm »
@jpsb

Hahahahaha the hypocrisy is rich with you...you bash people for doing the EXACT same thing you did in the election before?!?
Thank you for showing all of us that everything you say is merely self-serving and is free to be ignored!

I would do it all over again, McCain was no conservative there were two progressive liberals on the
ballot I voted for neither. Trump on the other hand has proven to be quite conservative on policy.
And ran to the right of Ted Cruz and Rand Paul.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:44:29 pm by jpsb »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2018, 08:42:52 pm »
A lot of the folks in his administration are bureaucratic holdovers.  (Some of his early appointments were disasters, of course, like McMaster--who was reporting to Soros, of all things.)

Still, what has Trump said about Sasse?

Although he may have I don't have any quotes from the President.  Sasse is honest about his feelings on policy and they don't match with Trump.  For instance this assessment of farm bailout.

Key GOP senators rip Trump's farm bailout: 'America’s farmers don’t want to be paid to lose'

Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) speaks with reporters ahead of the weekly policy luncheons on Capitol Hill in Washington, July 24, 2018.     
Aaron P. Bernstein | Reuters

Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) speaks with reporters ahead of the weekly policy luncheons on Capitol Hill in Washington, July 24, 2018.

Republican senators Tuesday condemned the Trump administration's $12 billion bailout plan for farmers hit by crippling tariffs on their goods.

Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb., came out swinging against the newly proposed aid package, describing it as a pair of "gold crutches" to support the farmers hobbled by President Donald Trump's own trade policy.

“This trade war is cutting the legs out from under farmers and the White House’s ‘plan’ is to spend $12 billion on gold crutches," Sasse, a frequent Trump critic, said in a statement.

"America’s farmers don’t want to be paid to lose — they want to win by feeding the world. This administration’s tariffs and bailouts aren’t going to make America great again, they’re just going to make it 1929 again,” he added.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/24/keygop-senators-rip-trumps-incoherent-farm-bailout.html
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2018, 08:43:47 pm »
I guess we shall infer that the ONLY thing in your fevered brain that qualifies as “serious conservative” is supporting trump?

@Axeslinger

Just as liberals have arrogated the meaning of the word 'gay' to mean 'homosexual', these Trump sycophants have done the same thing with the word 'Conservative' to mean 'anything Trump does or says'.

When Trump was applauding the Kelo court decision - something so far left that Bernie Sanders couldn't get on board with - the Trump sycophants were applauding his 'conservative' creds.  When Trump was championing touchback amnesty during the campaign, his followers were praising his 'conservative' position.  When Trump hired on Paul Manafort, the man responsible for defeating Reagan in 1976, the Trumpsters praised him for cementing his 'conservative' base.  And when Trump reached to the throne of the swamp to name Reince Priebus as his Chief oif Staff, the Trump lemmings praised him for the brilliance of this 'conservative' coup.

I ain't buying into this nonstop BS.  Conservatism to me is an ideal - not a personality.  When Trump takes a Conservative position, I will praise him for it.  But I refuse to praise something as 'Conservative' simply because Trump is the one doing it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jpsb

« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2018, 08:43:50 pm »
So you hate yourself for doing the same thing the election before.  Have you sought help for your self-loathing?

One more time John McCain was a progressive liberal and a warmonger no way in hell I could vote
for a warmongering progressive liberal. I did that twice with W Bush. Never Again.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2018, 08:49:41 pm »
@Axeslinger

Just as liberals have arrogated the meaning of the word 'gay' to mean 'homosexual', these Trump sycophants have done the same thing with the word 'Conservative' to mean 'anything Trump does or says'.

When Trump was applauding the Kelo court decision - something so far left that Bernie Sanders couldn't get on board with - the Trump sycophants were applauding his 'conservative' creds.  When Trump was championing touchback amnesty during the campaign, his followers were praising his 'conservative' position.  When Trump hired on Paul Manafort, the man responsible for defeating Reagan in 1976, the Trumpsters praised him for cementing his 'conservative' base.  And when Trump reached to the throne of the swamp to name Reince Priebus as his Chief oif Staff, the Trump lemmings praised him for the brilliance of this 'conservative' coup.

I ain't buying into this nonstop BS.  Conservatism to me is an ideal - not a personality.  When Trump takes a Conservative position, I will praise him for it.  But I refuse to praise something as 'Conservative' simply because Trump is the one doing it.

@Hoodat

Oh I know...I’m just shining a spotlight on their hypocrisy...
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2018, 08:51:58 pm »
One more time John McCain was a progressive liberal and a warmonger no way in hell I could vote
for a warmongering progressive liberal. I did that twice with W Bush. Never Again.

@jpsb

One more time...that was YOUR personal line that you would not cross...and yet you are all over this thread and this board bashing people for merely having a DIFFERENT personal line.  That is incredibly hypocritical, self-serving and arrogant of you.  Thanks for letting us all know.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2018, 08:53:22 pm »

That's hilarious!  And you criticize others for doing the same?  This is the same reason I couldn't vote for Trump.  He isn't a Conservative.  He is a New York liberal.  Actually, he is Workers Party.

Actually that is a big problem.  There is no way to identify what this party now is.

Self-described

Trump speaking at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in 2015.
Trump registered as a Republican in Manhattan in 1987 and since that time has changed his party affiliation five times. In 1999, Trump changed his party affiliation to the Independence Party of New York. In August 2001, Trump changed his party affiliation to Democratic. In September 2009, Trump changed his party affiliation back to the Republican Party. In December 2011, Trump changed to "no party affiliation" (independent). In April 2012, Trump again returned to the Republican Party.[27]

In a 2004 interview, Trump told CNN's Wolf Blitzer: "In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat," explaining: "It just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans. Now, it shouldn't be that way. But if you go back, I mean it just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats [...] But certainly we had some very good economies under Democrats, as well as Republicans. But we've had some pretty bad disaster under the Republicans."[28] In a July 2015 interview, Trump said that he has a broad range of political positions and that "I identify with some things as a Democrat."[27] .......................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Donald_Trump
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:58:10 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2018, 08:53:58 pm »
Immigration is primary issue to me and McCain meant amnesty so I just could
not pull the lever for him.

Yet in 2016, you voted for the guy who supported touchback amnesty, while I voted for the guy who said all illegals should be deported and never let back in.  So which of those two positions is the 'Conservative' one?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jpsb

« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2018, 08:56:44 pm »
That's hilarious!  And you criticize others for doing the same?  This is the same reason I couldn't vote for Trump.  He isn't a Conservative.  He is a New York liberal.  Actually, he is Workers Party.

Happily Trump is proving you wrong and me right. Hopefully in 2020 you will have come to your senses.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2018, 08:59:17 pm »
Yet in 2016, you voted for the guy who supported touchback amnesty, while I voted for the guy who said all illegals should be deported and never let back in.  So which of those two positions is the 'Conservative' one?

And you voted for the guy that supported amnesty for illegals and TPP. That touch back amnesty is
BS and you know it.

! No longer available

http://www.wsj.com/articles/putting-congress-in-charge-on-trade-1429659409
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:02:47 pm by jpsb »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2018, 09:00:54 pm »
Happily Trump is proving you wrong and me right. Hopefully in 2020 you will have come to your senses.

Are you sure?  By 2020 who knows what Trump will be.

Self-described

Trump registered as a Republican in Manhattan in 1987 and since that time has changed his party affiliation five times. In 1999, Trump changed his party affiliation to the Independence Party of New York. In August 2001, Trump changed his party affiliation to Democratic. In September 2009, Trump changed his party affiliation back to the Republican Party. In December 2011, Trump changed to "no party affiliation" (independent). In April 2012, Trump again returned to the Republican Party.[27]

In a 2004 interview, Trump told CNN's Wolf Blitzer: "In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat," explaining: "It just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans. Now, it shouldn't be that way. But if you go back, I mean it just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats [...] But certainly we had some very good economies under Democrats, as well as Republicans. But we've had some pretty bad disaster under the Republicans."[28] In a July 2015 interview, Trump said that he has a broad range of political positions and that "I identify with some things as a Democrat."[27] .......................

Offline aligncare

« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2018, 09:06:50 pm »
I'm not completely convinced that the op-ed author was "in the Trump administration."  Even then, not likely an important official.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't like Trump.  But I don't hate him.  I think he is trying hard at his job, even if he is a bull in a china shop--like some many folks on TBR would be if they were POTUS.

That went over a lot of heads, but it was so good I had to highlight it.

@the_doc   :beer:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2018, 09:08:16 pm »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jpsb

« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2018, 09:09:08 pm »
Are you sure?  By 2020 who knows what Trump will be.

Self-described

I'm just looking at what Trump has done as president.

• Appointed Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch and more than 75 other constitutionally sound federal judges, 30 of which are serving.

• Reinstated an expanded Mexico City Policy blocking foreign aid from being used for abortions.

• Cracked down on illegal immigration and “sanctuary cities.” As Attorney General Jeff Sessions put it: “The lawlessness, the abdication of the duty to enforce our laws, and the catch and release policies of the past are over.”

• Issued an order killing two federal regulations for every new one. In actuality, 16 were cut for every new one in his first year, saving billions.

• Engineered a historic tax cut that will save money for more than 80 percent of American households.

• Withdrew the U.S. from the Paris Climate Agreement, ending the threat of U.S. governance by international bureaucrats.

• Reversed onerous Obama environmental rules that gave the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ham-handed authority to destroy the coal industry and abrogate landowners’ rights.

• Kick-started America’s energy sector by curtailing regulations, facilitating the Keystone XL Pipeline and opening up vast federal areas to oil and gas exploration.

• Presided over an economic and stock market boom, lowered unemployment and brought manufacturing jobs back to America from overseas.

• Rebuilt the nation’s military, destroyed ISIS and faced down North Korea’s “Rocket Man.”

• Issued an order enforcing First Amendment protections for religious liberty.

• Restored the freedom of military chaplains to espouse biblical morality, and essentially reversing Mr. Obama’s transgender military policy.

• Revoked the Education Department’s order that public schools allow gender-confused males access to girls’ restrooms and locker rooms.

• Cracked down on sex trafficking. President Trump signed a law allowing states to move against sex-ad Internet sites, and the Justice Department on April 6 seized and shut down Backpage.com, which carried ads for prostitution, including trafficked children.

• Overhauled the mismanaged Veterans Administration and giving veterans more health care choices.

• Replaced Obamacare incrementally, beginning with a repeal of the individual mandate.

• Imposed sanctions on Venezuela’s socialist dictatorship and revising Mr. Obama’s deals with communist Cuba.

• Recognized Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and repairing damage that Mr. Obama did to the U.S.-Israel relationship.

• Worked with Central American nations to crack down on MS-13 gangs.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/6/giving-trumps-accomplishments-their-due/

Online roamer_1

« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2018, 09:10:50 pm »

The country is lost without those principles.
The EASY way is voting for the lesser evil, with a return to principle things always kicked down the road somewhere.

The coward is the one who doesn't stand upon his beliefs.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2018, 09:11:28 pm »
Really?  Check out what Trump said:

Trump: I’d ‘Expedite’ Legal Immigration Process for ‘Good’ Illegals After Getting Them Out

Trump: Deport illegals, but expedite the return of “the good ones” for legal status

And for the record, Cruz did not support amnesty nor TPP.  But then you already knew that.

So he was lying in the video I posted above? And he was lying went he wrote an op ed in support of TPP?

Online corbe

« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2018, 09:13:49 pm »
   Living in your Binary World for a second here @jpsb, A President Cruz would have done all that and more. 
   Without all the turnover and Drama. /JS
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2018, 09:14:03 pm »
The country is lost without those principles.
The EASY way is voting for the lesser evil, with a return to principle things always kicked down the road somewhere.

The coward is the one who doesn't stand upon his beliefs.

I don't like killing people, it is against my principles but when the nation went to war I enlisted.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2018, 09:15:37 pm »
And you voted for the guy that supported amnesty for illegals and TPP. That touch back amnesty is
BS and you know it.

! No longer available

http://www.wsj.com/articles/putting-congress-in-charge-on-trade-1429659409

Cruz voted against the bill.  The purpose of his amendment was to alienate others to vote against it.  It is beyond dishonest to spin this any other way.

Cruz opposed the bill.  Cruz worked his ass off to see it defeated.  Cruz employed tactics that exposed the hypocrisy of those supporting it.  It was the Conservative thing to do.  And yet you bash him for it while still voting for a man who expressly stated his belief in support of touchback amnesty - something that Ted Cruz NEVER does in that video.

And here we are over two years later, yet you still can't come to terms with the truth.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jpsb

« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2018, 09:18:11 pm »
   Living in your Binary World for a second here @jpsb, A President Cruz would have done all that and more. 
   Without all the turnover and Drama. /JS
If Cruz could not beat Trump in the republican primaries he did not stand a chance against Hillary
in the general. Cruz in trouble in the very red state of Texas and he's going to beat Hillary? In your
dreams.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2018, 09:22:36 pm »
Cruz voted against the bill.  The purpose of his amendment was to alienate others to vote against it.  It is beyond dishonest to spin this any other way.

Cruz opposed the bill.  Cruz worked his ass off to see it defeated.  Cruz employed tactics that exposed the hypocrisy of those supporting it.  It was the Conservative thing to do.  And yet you bash him for it while still voting for a man who expressly stated his belief in support of touchback amnesty - something that Ted Cruz NEVER does in that video.

And here we are over two years later, yet you still can't come to terms with the truth.

Here is Rand Paul is he a liar too?

! No longer available

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2018, 09:23:13 pm »
If Cruz could not beat Trump in the republican primaries he did not stand a chance against Hillary
in the general. Cruz in trouble in the very red state of Texas and he's going to beat Hillary? In your
dreams.

Its a symptom of Trumpism.  Red isn't red anymore.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:38:54 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2018, 09:25:05 pm »
• Reinstated an expanded Mexico City Policy blocking foreign aid from being used for abortions.

Yet we fund the Israeli Military which offers abortion to its citizens and military.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israels-abortion-law-now-among-worlds-most-liberal/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:50:35 pm by Chosen Daughter »