Author Topic: Moving away from chemicals: Consumer demand for cleaner food has researchers exploring plant-based e  (Read 1596 times)

rangerrebew

Moving away from chemicals: Consumer demand for cleaner food has researchers exploring plant-based extracts to protect against insects

Friday, September 07, 2018 by: Rhonda Johansson   

(Natural News) The concept of achieving food independence is a lofty goal, but one which will not likely happen in the near future. It is evident that we still need to rely on big food manufacturers for our daily meals, even as we pray that what we put into our mouth is not laced with the various delicious poisons brought to us by insecticides, pesticides, and fungicides. Monsanto may be evil — but seeing the light is different from doing something about it. Where do we turn to now that we know the negative effects of chemical pesticides?

Researchers say that they may have an answer. A recent analysis on the extract of the Brazilian peppertree (Schinus terebinthifolius), a flowering plant in the cashew family, concluded that its compounds are effective in mitigating pests that proliferate in wheat grains. Wheat, as we know, is one of the most consumed crops globally and accounts for a large part of various food products worldwide. Wheat grains, however, quickly begin to lose their quality after harvest due to insect infestation. If stored improperly, wheat grains are especially vulnerable to fungal contamination.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-09-07-consumer-demand-for-cleaner-food-has-researchers-looking-for-ways-to-protect-the-food-supply.html

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Uuugh, natural news again with their Chemkillz Boogeyman.

I wish you would have a bit of discernment Ranger. NN is one of the worst sites on the web, often crossing the dangerous line when it comes to health advice.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I try to keep chemicals out of my food as much as possible. Definitely feel better for it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

I try to keep chemicals out of my food as much as possible. Definitely feel better for it.

Naturally produced organic chemicals are still chemicals and are not automatically safe to consume.  These articles from Nut News are consistently nutty.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:45:11 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Naturally produced organic chemicals are still chemicals and is not automatically safe to consume.  These articles from Nut News are consistently nutty.

True, but if it is safe to consume, why would I want to add foreign compounds to perfectly good food?
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Naturally produced organic chemicals are still chemicals and are not automatically safe to consume.  These articles from Nut News are consistently nutty.
Absolutely.

Not sure what people are thinking when they believe the ground which produces food or is eaten by animals they eat do not contain chemicals.

You really cannot get away from chemicals. 

If you try, you die.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline roamer_1

Absolutely.

Not sure what people are thinking when they believe the ground which produces food or is eaten by animals they eat do not contain chemicals.

You really cannot get away from chemicals. 

If you try, you die.

Yeah... But God knows chemicals way better than Monsanto does.

Offline thackney

True, but if it is safe to consume, why would I want to add foreign compounds to perfectly good food?

Some people don't consider food ate up with bugs perfectly good.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Some people don't consider food ate up with bugs perfectly good.

We haven't used chemicals on the garden in decades, and the produce is beautiful, 10X better than what you can get in the store.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

We haven't used chemicals on the garden in decades, and the produce is beautiful, 10X better than what you can get in the store.

Likewise.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

So it doesn't spoil five minutes after picking it or killing it. So you don't have to spend 8 hours over a stove cooking it. So it doesn't grow toxic bacteria when exposed to oxygen.

Offline goodwithagun

:amen:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline roamer_1

So it doesn't spoil five minutes after picking it or killing it. So you don't have to spend 8 hours over a stove cooking it. So it doesn't grow toxic bacteria when exposed to oxygen.

All of that is far less of a problem than you think. People were putting up food long before the chemical companies were around.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

Ironically, it's the store produce that usually rots first in the fridge, and home grown cans better too. We've had far few issues from garden produce than supermarket.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

Ironically, it's the store produce that usually rots first in the fridge, and home grown cans better too. We've had far few issues from garden produce than supermarket.

That's right... Onions... They rot in a week if I buy em from the store... in the same place, picked from the garden, they last indefinitely... Why would that be?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

All of that is far less of a problem than you think. People were putting up food long before the chemical companies were around.
that's what that chemical NACL is good for.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline roamer_1

that's what that chemical NACL is good for.

Yep... And powdered celery for nitrites in sausage.
And smoke.
And dehydrating
and fermentation.
and pickling
etcetera ad infinitum.

Offline goodwithagun

Yep... And powdered celery for nitrites in sausage.
And smoke.
And dehydrating
and fermentation.
and pickling
etcetera ad infinitum.

Lacto fermented dill pickles are the best dang thing on a hot day.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline roamer_1

Lacto fermented dill pickles are the best dang thing on a hot day.

I bet... I found out about fermenting over radishes, primarily, and other things like it, which are hard to keep. They come off the garden a butt-ton at a time, and I was losing more of em than I was eating... Fermenting stretches their life a long way.

Offline goodwithagun

I bet... I found out about fermenting over radishes, primarily, and other things like it, which are hard to keep. They come off the garden a butt-ton at a time, and I was losing more of em than I was eating... Fermenting stretches their life a long way.

Lacto fermentation helps your body’s good flora, also
I stand with Roosgirl.