Author Topic: Woman who crashed her Model S and broke her foot sues Tesla  (Read 450 times)

rangerrebew

Woman who crashed her Model S and broke her foot sues Tesla
« on: September 07, 2018, 03:14:16 pm »
Woman who crashed her Model S and broke her foot sues Tesla
Tesla spox notes: "Autopilot doesn’t make the car impervious to all accidents."

Cyrus Farivar - 9/6/2018, 8:45 AM

Sorry Elon Musk, there’s no clear evidence Autopilot saves lives

A Utah woman who in May 2018 crashed her Tesla Model S into a fire engine while having the Autopilot assist mode engaged has now sued the company in state court, claiming negligence, among other allegations. The civil complaint was first posted on Wednesday by Matt Drange of The Information.

Attorneys for Heather Lommatzsch, the plaintiff, wrote on Tuesday that she "understood" that the car’s "safety features would ensure the vehicle would stop on its own in the event of an obstacle being present in the path of the Tesla Model S."

In the aftermath of the May 2018 accident, police in South Jordan, Utah, said in a statement that the woman told them that she "was looking at her phone prior to the collision" and that she reportedly "did not brake or take any action to avoid the collision."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/09/tesla-hit-with-lawsuit-after-woman-crashed-her-model-s-while-in-autopilot/

rangerrebew

Re: Woman who crashed her Model S and broke her foot sues Tesla
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 03:20:43 pm »
Tesla's reply reminds me of that scene in Revenge of the Pink Panther (I Think) where Cluseau sees a cute little dog sitting in the hotel lobby and asks the hotel desk clerk of his dog bit.  The clerk replied "no."  When Cluseau reaches down to pet the dog, it about rips his hand off.  Cluseau screams "I thought you said your dog does not bite" to which the desk clerk replies "THAT is not my dog.  :silly:

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Woman who crashed her Model S and broke her foot sues Tesla
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 03:42:51 pm »
It sounds too much like the urban legend where the driver sets the cruise control in his RV and goes back to make himself a pot of coffee.
Countdown to Resignation