Author Topic: 1 In 5 Americans Would Take On Debt To Afford The New iPhone  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

1 In 5 Americans Would Take On Debt To Afford The New iPhone
« on: September 06, 2018, 04:10:45 am »
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-09-04/1-5-americans-would-take-debt-afford-new-iphone

Apple may be bracing to ship 20% fewer iPhones later this year after its newest models, specs of which leaked earlier this week, finally hit the market, but that doesn't mean the cultural cache of owning an iPhone has in any way diminished. While reports of a decline in component orders earlier this year could be chalked up to market saturation or the higher price point (consumers could be asked to shell out as much as $1,400 for the most expensive new models, according to reports that have been circulating since before last year's launch), an interesting new survey by WalletHub revealed that many American handset owners simply don't care about the price.

Indeed, at a time when total household debt is hitting one record after the next and revolving credit is soaring, nearly 28 million Americans believe that owning the newest iPhone is worth racking up debt. According to WalletHub’s 2018 Credit Score and iPhone survey, this view is particularly prominent among millennials. More than 18% of respondents under the age of 45 said it would be worth going into debt for the phone, compared with 5% of those who are more than 45 years old.

Despite the deluge of debt being incurred by the American consumer, credit scores remain generally high (unsurprising considering the robust Trump-era economy). Thanks to this trend, millions of consumers can access financing plans that will help them purchase new phones, ensuring a bump to device sales for the first company publicly traded in the US to reach $1 trillion market cap.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: 1 In 5 Americans Would Take On Debt To Afford The New iPhone
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 09:30:16 am »
I am definitely in the minority here. I wouldn't even buy a new old one.

I use my phone as a phone,although through no choice of my own I now answer and send text messages. Lots of times I keep it turned off until I need it if I am not expecting a call.

I own the phone,it doesn't own me.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 01:02:46 am »
I've been a Mac user and a Mac OS fan since 1987, but I will never own an iPhone and probably not an iPad, either.

I don't carry a cell phone with me, except on longer trips.
And the one I have is an ancient Samsung "flip phone" that is ALWAYS turned off. You can't reach me on it.

It's there for emergencies (911 or a phone call I just can't avoid making).

I pay $10 for about an hour's worth of usage time on it, every four months.
That's $30 a year, total. If I use it for 2 calls a year, that's a lot.

Even though I'm good with the Mac OS (if you have a Mac problem, I'll bet I can fix it), I don't care for iOS (which is used on the iPhone and iPad). iOS doesn't have a user-accessible file system, and to transfer anything to it (from the Mac) you pretty much have to "go through iCloud", which I want nothing to do with.

I am receiving my first "tablet" tomorrow. But it's Android -- a Samsung Galaxy s2 (on sale at amazon!). Gonna use it to run the train on the table downstairs!

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 02:15:55 pm »
RE: : 1 In 5 Americans Would Take On Debt To Afford The New iPhone

ABSOLUTE LUNACY

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 02:25:32 pm »
And 4 out of 5 of those people are willing to spend the money for an iPhone just so they can enjoy the "hide alerts" feature on those annoying group texts.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra