Author Topic: Withdrawn UN advert shows why carbon offset scheme should be scrapped  (Read 551 times)

rangerrebew

Withdrawn UN advert shows why carbon offset scheme should be scrapped
Published on 31/08/2018, 10:54am

Comment: The Clean Development Mechanism has a weak environmental record and creates the illusion that high-carbon lifestyles are sustainable

By Gilles Dufrasne for Carbon Market Watch

The United Nations (UN) climate agency released a video this week mocking lifestyle changes, such as reducing meat consumption and flying, to promote the use of highly controversial credits to offset emissions.

The video “Keep calm and offset” has since been removed, but inadvertently points to the main problems with offsetting, a concept that creates the illusion that high-carbon lifestyles can be maintained.

Government officials from around the world are heading to Bangkok next week for a new round of climate negotiations. Since the adoption of the Paris Agreement in 2015, in which nearly all countries of the world have committed to take climate action, countries have engaged in intense discussions on how exactly they intend to walk the talk of their climate ambition.

http://www.climatechangenews.com/2018/08/31/withdrawn-un-advert-shows-carbon-offset-scheme-scrapped/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Withdrawn UN advert shows why carbon offset scheme should be scrapped
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 11:49:57 pm »
I happen to enjoy my high carbon lifestyle. It is not an illusion.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington