Author Topic: Trump’s Tariffs on Canadian Newsprint Are Overturned  (Read 1055 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trump’s Tariffs on Canadian Newsprint Are Overturned
« on: August 29, 2018, 06:20:55 pm »
The International Trade Commission on Wednesday overturned a Trump administration decision to impose tariffs on Canadian newsprint, saying that American paper producers are not harmed by newsprint imports.

The unanimous decision by the five-member body is a win for small- and medium-sized newspapers, which have struggled to absorb the cost of higher newsprint and engaged in cost-cutting, including layoffs and reduced pages, as a result......

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/29/business/trump-tariffs-newsprint.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Business+Day

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Trump’s Tariffs on Canadian Newsprint Are Overturned
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 02:54:37 am »
Within article is this:

The decision will allow Canadian paper providers to stop paying tariffs that had already caused widespread damage in the struggling newspaper industry.

This is the first time I have heard that foreign companies pay US tariffs.  I thought these were paid by US companies/consumers.
Appears to be incorrect journalism or a bizarre way paper tariffs were handled.  Or just maybe the Canadian paper companies are plain stupid.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 03:41:18 am »
Gosh. A bunch of Obamaite Establishment hacks at a fraud agency are upset because their friends in the dead media are suffering.

Eff the whole pathetic lot.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 04:18:10 am »

I go days, even weeks at a time between seeing a newspaper.

LA Weekly OC Weekly good for massage (whores) and MJ Dispensary ads.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 04:35:04 am »
I go days, even weeks at a time between seeing a newspaper.

LA Weekly OC Weekly good for massage (whores) and MJ Dispensary ads.

I thought you were in Real Estate out there. Don't you see news papers every day for sale on the MLS housing listing at the $200K to $300K price point?