Author Topic: Trump has not violated campaign finance laws, and here's why  (Read 902 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump has not violated campaign finance laws, and here's why
« on: August 22, 2018, 10:46:36 am »
Trump has not violated campaign finance laws, and here's why
American Thinker, Aug 22, 2018, Ed Straker

[...]

Cohen's plea deal states that Cohen violated campaign finance laws by making payments to one of Trump's alleged mistresses, "Stormy Daniels", and made payments to the National Enquirer to compensate the Enquirer for paying off another of Trump's alleged mistresses. Cohen, in turn was reimbursed by Trump for these expenses, so Trump was the ultimate source of the money for these payments.

The Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971, Title 52, United States Code Section 30101 states in part that individuals are limited to making donations of $2,700 to presidential candidates. Cohen is accused of spending money in violation of the Act. Although Cohen spent more than $2,700 on behalf of Trump, he was reimbursed by Trump, so Trump was ultimately spending money on himself, and there is no limit on how much a person may spend on their own presidential campaign, so this section does not apply.

The Campaign Act also prohibits corporations from contributing directly to presidential campaigns. Cohen set up dummy corporations to make the payments and pled to making improper corporate donations. But again, although the money technically came from corporations, ultimately, all the money came from Donald Trump, so again these limitations do not apply.

But more importantly, this was not a campaign expenditure at all. Constitutional scholar Mark Levin has interviewed former Federal Election Commission Chairman Bradley Smith repeatedly on his show over the past year, and Smith has made the point that "dual use" expenditures are not "campaign expenditures" under the meaning of the Act. [...]

Payments to President Trump's alleged mistresses to stay silent certainly benefitted his campaign. But they also served the purpose of not embarrassing the President's family. There clearly was a dual use to the payments, therefore they were not "campaign expenditures" under the act. If they were, then everything a candidate spent money on during the course of a campaign, whether of a personal nature or not, would have to be reported as a campaign expenditure. Does a candidate eat during a campaign? Well, if so that benefits his campaign and so must be an expenditure! Do you see how ridiculous this can become?

Read more:  https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/08/trump_has_not_violated_campaign_finance_laws_and_heres_why.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Trump has not violated campaign finance laws, and here's why
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 10:57:42 am »
Was the strange language in Michael Cohen’s guilty plea a set-up?
American Thinker, Aug 22, 2018, Steve McCann

Michael Cohen, who was snatched out of obscurity and made famous and wealthy by Donald Trump, pled guilty to five counts of tax evasion and bank fraud and two counts of making excessive campaign contributions.   [...]

But what law was broken?  As Cohen agreed to a guilty plea, it was the federal prosecutor that enumerated, with Cohen’s attorney’s concurrence, what he would plead guilty to and which laws he violated.   In the case of the so-called campaign contribution on behalf of Donald Trump, per Bradley Smith former Chairman of the Federal Election Committee, these payments do not constitute an in-kind campaign contribution.

As he recently explained on Mark Levin’s radio show: 
None of these expenditures helped Mr. Trump’s campaign.  There’s all kind of reasons why he may want to make these expenditures even if the allegations made by Stormy Daniels are untrue.  Just for family harmony or commercial viability over the long term.

Historically, the FEC has said these things are not campaign contributions.

When the FEC wrote the regulation that says what constitutes campaign expenditures and what constitutes personal use, it rejected specifically the idea that a campaign expenditure was anything related to a campaign, and instead says it has to be something that exists only because of the campaign and solely for that reason.

[...]

This entire sorry spectacle is no more than another feeble attempt to overturn an election wherein the “chosen one” Hillary Clinton inexplicably lost.   After 16 months Robert Mueller and his unfettered and unrestrained army of prosecutors are no closer to achieving this ultimate objective, so Michael Cohen, thanks to his foibles, stupidity and greed, was the pawn in the latest gambit.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/08/was_the_strange_language_in_michael_cohens_guilty_plea_a_setup.html

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 12:16:17 pm »
So a candidate cannot respond to personal blackmail without placing himself at jeopardy of violating campaign finance laws?   That cannot possibly be the intent of such laws.    RIV is right - this whole effing deal is a conspiracy against the free choice of the American people.

The Dems speak of "resistance".  By God, they don't know the meaning of the word.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:18:24 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 01:17:06 pm »
I am only logging back on after leaving because of the obnoxious pro-Trump people here to say...

Happy now? We could have had Cruz. Instead, you gave us a Democrat wet dream.

This argument posted above is irrelevant. Trump just gave the midterms to the Dems, and then they will impeach him, facts be damned.

Great job RIV!
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Idiot

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 01:29:32 pm »
I am only logging back on after leaving because of the obnoxious pro-Trump people here to say...

This argument posted above is irrelevant. Trump just gave the midterms to the Dems, and then they will impeach him, facts be damned.

Great job RIV!

I did not vote for Trump...BUT....  I've never seen everything including the kitchen sink thrown at a President.  We all knew he was no angel....

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 02:36:27 pm »

Great job RIV!

Cruz could never have won the general election.  Not in a million years. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 02:43:42 pm »

Great job RIV!

The fate of the nation was determined in this forum and by @Right_in_Virginia?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 02:47:53 pm »

Great job RIV!

Fine but why not wait until it actually happens before demanding the last word?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 04:50:38 pm »
American Thinker has been about as reliable as Big League Politics where matters relating to Manafort and Cohen have been concerned.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 11:35:55 am »
If this expenditure were definitively and legally found NOT to be a campaign expenditure, then I agree it would not be a crime; however, the fact that Cohen pleaded guilty to campaign finance violations associated with it and the Judge and the Department of Justice allowed him to, I think that’s unlikely to be true (but I’m not an attorney).  If it is a campaign expenditure (which is my non-attorney opinion), then it had to be disclosed and not disclosing it was a crime (even if it came from the candidate himself).
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.