Author Topic: ASSOCIATED PRESS PROMOTES SOUR GRAPES FROM LOSING REPUBLICANS  (Read 583 times)

Offline endicom

ASSOCIATED PRESS PROMOTES SOUR GRAPES FROM LOSING REPUBLICANS
« on: August 20, 2018, 10:34:29 pm »
Power Line
John Hinderaker
Aug. 20, 2018

Excerpt:

The forgotten Republicans — people like former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake, South Carolina Rep. Mark Sanford and Ohio Gov. John Kasich — have been unwilling to sit quietly as Trump steers the GOP away from free trade, fiscal responsibility, consistent foreign policy and civility.

But Trump is for free trade; he starts every bargaining session by proposing that all participants drop all tariffs to zero. Since there are never any takers, he does the next best thing: he defends American interests and tries to improve our existing trade deals. Is that such a departure from past Republican practice? If it is, that’s an indictment of past presidents, not Trump. As far as fiscal responsibility is concerned, when was the last fiscally responsible administration of either party? Eisenhower or Kennedy? The AP’s reference to “consistent foreign policy” is mysterious. Trump’s foreign policy strikes me as the most consistent we have had in a long time. He puts American interests first, and he tries to help our friends and penalize our enemies.

More... https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/08/associated-press-promotes-sour-grapes-from-losing-republicans.php
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:29:27 am by endicom »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: ASSOCIATED PRESS PROMOTES SOUR GRAPES FROM LOSING REPUBLICANS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 02:21:01 am »
People that rant on and on about "trade" remind me of an idiot, that goes to buy a car, but starts off by saying:

We don't need to dicker; I'll just pay full sticker.

As in the USA will stick with lousy trade deals.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 02:30:53 am »
People that rant on and on about "trade" remind me of an idiot, that goes to buy a car, but starts off by saying:

We don't need to dicker; I'll just pay full sticker.

As in the USA will stick with lousy trade deals.

I'm for free trade but nothing is absolute. I think Hinderaker has it just right.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 02:34:09 pm »
To these "mainstream, moderate, centrist" Republicans the media is fine--balanced--by having McCain or Graham, and him taking the democrat position. "Bipartisan."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln