Author Topic: Can We Grow One of the World's Largest Food Crops Without Fertilizer?  (Read 930 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.ucdavis.edu/food/news/grow-food-crops-without-fertilizer

by Amy Quinton
August 7, 2018

IN THE UNITED STATES, more than 90 million acres of corn are planted every year. Corn uses more land than any other crop. It also uses a lot of fertilizer. By one estimate, 5.6 million tons of nitrogen are applied each year, along with nearly a million tons of nitrogen from manure.

Nitrogen is an essential nutrient for plants. While nitrogen makes up 78 percent of the atmosphere, only legume crops were known to have the ability to use it, through their association with bacteria.

“Legume crops like soybeans have nodules on their roots that harbor bacteria that can turn nitrogen in the air into a form the plant can use,” said Alan Bennett, distinguished professor of plant sciences at the University of California, Davis. “For cereal crops like corn, farmers must rely primarily on nitrogen fertilizers.”

Bennett is part of a multidisciplinary team of researchers from UC Davis, the University of Wisconsin–Madison, and Mars, Incorporated that has made a remarkable discovery: an indigenous variety of Mexican corn that can also fix nitrogen from the atmosphere, instead of requiring synthetic fertilizers.

The team’s findings were published Aug. 7 in the journal PLOS Biology.

If this trait can be bred into conventional varieties of corn, it could reduce the need for added fertilizer and increase yields in regions with poor soil. Corn that fixes nitrogen could also help farmers in developing countries that may not have access to fertilizer.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Suppressed

Re: Can We Grow One of the World's Largest Food Crops Without Fertilizer?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 04:55:05 pm »
If this pans out, it would be great!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 05:01:40 pm »
If this pans out, it would be great!

The anti-GMO folks would still go nuts about it and try to ban it.......

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 05:14:04 pm »
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/08/amaizeballs/567140/

For thousands of years, people from Sierra Mixe, a mountainous region in southern Mexico, have been cultivating an unusual variety of giant corn. They grow the crop on soils that are poor in nitrogen—an essential nutrient—and they barely use any additional fertilizer. And yet, their corn towers over conventional varieties, reaching heights of more than 16 feet. 

A team of researchers led by Alan Bennett from UC Davis has shown that the secret of the corn’s success lies in its aerial roots—necklaces of finger-sized, rhubarb-red tubes that encircle the stem. These roots drip with a thick, clear, glistening mucus that’s loaded with bacteria. Thanks to these microbes, the corn can fertilize itself by pulling nitrogen directly from the surrounding air.

The Sierra Mixe corn takes eight months to mature—too long to make it commercially useful. But if its remarkable ability could be bred into conventional corn, which matures in just three months, it would be an agricultural game changer.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 05:28:47 pm »
Back to Eden gardening on a larger scale. Nothing needs fertilizers.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 08:15:34 pm »
Back to Eden gardening on a larger scale. Nothing needs fertilizers.

I think you mean synthetic fertilizers. Back to Eden gardening definitely uses organic fertilizers, such as manures and compost.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 08:18:02 pm »
I think you mean synthetic fertilizers. Back to Eden gardening definitely uses organic fertilizers, such as manures and compost.

It's all about the shit.  Always was always will be.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 09:40:39 pm »

No, not once it reaches balance. Just more wood chips as the lower layers degrade...

My old garden is still going strong, nigh on 15 years now I guess... All it's had in all that time is more chips, and the refuse from the garden run through a chipper.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 09:48:46 pm »
With what you are adding, you are composting in place. All your additions are organic fertilizers.

This works on the small scale. Its more difficult on the large commercial farm scale.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 10:07:58 pm »
With what you are adding, you are composting in place. All your additions are organic fertilizers.

Alright... But not adding manure.

This works on the small scale. Its more difficult on the large commercial farm scale.

It is already being done. not midwest commercial size, but I walked a 50 acre farm in eastern WA myself.

Just a different way, and a better way... Howabout putting back 1-2" of topsoil a year, and replenishing mineral  content?

Right now, commercial farming is doing the opposite.
My grandad's farm, which I remember for it's thick soil from my youth, is nearly bare.