Author Topic: The Legacy of Kofi Annan  (Read 332 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Legacy of Kofi Annan
« on: August 20, 2018, 03:02:13 am »
The Legacy of Kofi Annan
by KyleWOrton

By Kyle Orton (@KyleWOrton) on 19 August 2018

Kofi Annan, the Secretary-General of the United Nations between 1997 and 2006, died yesterday aged 80. Annan and the U.N. received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2001, and he was credited with “bringing new life to the organization” and emphasising “its obligations with regard to human rights”. The reality was quite different, and Annan’s disastrous record was hardly confined to his time at the helm. Both before (as head of the U.N. peacekeeping department) and after (as U.N. and Arab League envoy to Syria), Annan presided over some of the institution’s worst catastrophes.

SOMALIA AND BOSNIA

Annan was Assistant Secretary-General for the U.N. Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) between March 1992 and February 1993, and then Under-Secretary-General for DPKO from March 1993 to December 1996.

In January 1991, the Communist government of Siad Barre collapsed in Somalia, and the country descended into anarchy and famine. President George H.W. Bush had deployed 28,000 soldiers to Somalia as part of a 45,000-man force. These troops partook in the U.N.-backed Operation PROVIDE RELIEF, providing security for humanitarian relief workers.

Read more at: https://kyleorton1991.wordpress.com/2018/08/19/the-legacy-of-kofi-annan/

A bit of a counter-view of Annan. Well, I have major differences with some issues with Kyle but he's a useful source. Foreign Policy is a mess and trying to fix a country is a thankless task. Just think if we went into Mexico with the idea of "fixing" it.  I think Annan was a good man and wanted the best, in general, for everyone.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: The Legacy of Kofi Annan
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 03:10:51 am »
Food for Oil.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.