Author Topic: Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill would be smart for the president, his party and the nation  (Read 1608 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill would be smart for the president, his party and the nation
By Elizabeth Cobbs, opinion contributor — 08/19/18 05:00 PM EDT

Could a black, Republican, female military hero who once helped reunite our country do so again? The Trump administration has vacillated on whether or not to place Harriet Tubman on the new $20 bill, but confirming this choice would be smart for the president, his party, and the nation.

I am among a group of 127 eminent historians from 30 states who have petitioned Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to do so in time for the 98th anniversary of Women’s Suffrage on August 26.

The American Historical Association, the world’s largest professional organization of historians, has joined the campaign as well.

more
http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/402556-harriet-tubman-on-the-20-bill-would-be-smart-for-the-president-his-party
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline endicom

Do away with the penny and put her on a new one-dollar coin that won't be mistaken for a quarter.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Yeah right.  Put Amarosa on it. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Meldrew

I don't know.  Strikes me as pretty flagrant virtue signaling. 

I think it would be grand to have Harriet Tubman on the currency but this is "Well, she's black, and she's female and she did something honorable so let's put her on the currency". 

It should be "This person did something honorable that deserves nationwide recognition, let's put this person on the currency".

Like so many situations in today's world, I have no problem with putting her on the bills, I have a problem with how she gets there. 

Offline skeeter

I'm probably among a very small minority, and I'm sure Tubman was a swell gal, but I'm sick beyond any description of the relentless focus on past issues that today divide and foment resentment.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
No.
Just.... NO!

Online roamer_1

No.
Just.... NO!

I am with you. All my Jacksons would become Tubmans...
That just ain't right.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I guess I need to get a new currency frame for a sheet of twenties.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline The_Reader_David

I don't know.  Strikes me as pretty flagrant virtue signaling. 

So you have a problem with replacing the genocidal maniac (Trail of Tears) who founded the modern Democrat party with a black, gun-toting, female Republican?
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline goatprairie

So you have a problem with replacing the genocidal maniac (Trail of Tears) who founded the modern Democrat party with a black, gun-toting, female Republican?
Should we rename all the towns, cities, and counties with Jackson for their name? Pull down all his statues?
Where does it stop? Leave the currency, towns and cities, statues, etc. alone.

Online corbe

Bunch of Hater's.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Meldrew

Yeah, that's it precisely.  Unless, of course, you bother to read more than my first sentence. Here, I'll quote myself and go through it so you have a better opportunity to understand what I said.

I think it would be grand to have Harriet Tubman on the currency but this is "Well, she's black, and she's female and she did something honorable so let's put her on the currency".

It should be "This person did something honorable that deserves nationwide recognition, let's put this person on the currency".

Like so many situations in today's world, I have no problem with putting her on the bills, I have a problem with how she gets there. 

The "I think it would be grand to have Harriet Tubman on the currency" part means that I think it would be a good idea to put her on a bill and that I have a good deal of respect for the lady.  You may infer from that that I think it's a fine idea. 

The middle part explains how I thought that the idea of putting her on the bill in the current circumstance looks more like pandering should it be picked up by the government than an actual unprovoked honoring of her accomplishments which few know and even fewer appreciate (you are so obviously an exception to that fact).  I'd like to think that I summed it up reasonably well when I said " I have no problem with putting her on the bills, I have a problem with how she gets there".  From this you may infer that I have no problem with putting her on the bills, I have a problem with how she gets there (like, printed on the $20 bills).

None of this should be construed to mean that I "have a problem with replacing the genocidal maniac (Trail of Tears) who founded the modern Democrat party with a black, gun-toting, female Republican". Quite the contrary, her life and acomplishments should be honored, just not in service of some assclown wanting to appear "woke" (regardless of idealogical bent). 

I hope you find this helpful.  I can explain further if required.  Cheers.

Offline darroll

Bunch of Hater's.

Put this babe on the 20....................

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Do away with the penny and put her on a new one-dollar coin that won't be mistaken for a quarter.

@endicom

The perfect solution is to put her on the penny,and name it "Pander Penny".

Next we will have a His Panic and a Her Panic on our currency. Maybe they could share it with one being on one side and the other being on the other side?

NOT the nickle,though. That's reserved for the Injuns. They could have the traditional Indian head on one side,and then have a image of a famous Injun Chief from each of the known tribes on the other. Might even make it worth more as people collect them.

Asian 'murikans on a 2 dollar bill.

Homosexual 'murikans on a 3 dollar bill.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline goatprairie

@endicom

The perfect solution is to put her on the penny,and name it "Pander Penny".

Next we will have a His Panic and a Her Panic on our currency. Maybe they could share it with one being on one side and the other being on the other side?

NOT the nickle,though. That's reserved for the Injuns. They could have the traditional Indian head on one side,and then have a image of a famous Injun Chief from each of the known tribes on the other. Might even make it worth more as people collect them.

Asian 'murikans on a 2 dollar bill.

Homosexual 'murikans on a 3 dollar bill.
Don't give them any ideas.  They'd put Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, Joe Hill, Sacco and Vanzetti, Huey Newton, and a slew of other leftist scoundrels on currency if they could.

Offline Frank Cannon

Put this babe on the 20....................

I'd rather just hand her a stack of them and see what develops.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I love the idea. A gun toting, Republican, who fought for liberty.

Better her than the genocidal maniac Andrew Jackson.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

This ^

Offline Slide Rule

What's in it for Trump to virtue signal progressive ideas?

Or to virtue signal in any manner.

Nothing for family, god nor country.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline musiclady

Complete agree.

Jackson was despicable.  Tubman was a hero.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Who cares? We'll be going cashless soon enough anyway. They have to make all that money trackable, you know...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

Who cares? We'll be going cashless soon enough anyway. They have to make all that money trackable, you know...

Have you ever traveled overseas?

Clean crisp twenties are in great demand in many countries.  They will always exist.

And Tubman will be better on them than the vile, genocidal Jackson.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Have you ever traveled overseas?

Clean crisp twenties are in great demand in many countries.  They will always exist.

And Tubman will be better on them than the vile, genocidal Jackson.

They'd love that one of the several sheets of uncirculated/uncuts I have hanging on my wall.  I don't think I have a photo of that particular batch of Jacksons available.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Don't give them any ideas.  They'd put Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, Joe Hill, Sacco and Vanzetti, Huey Newton, and a slew of other leftist scoundrels on currency if they could.

@goatprairie

Not to worry. 0 dollar bills are as worthless as they are.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GrouchoTex

Bunch of Hater's.

I suppose this is "Harriet in the Tub, man"?