Author Topic: Senate GOP split over food stamp work requirements  (Read 618 times)

Online corbe

Senate GOP split over food stamp work requirements
« on: August 17, 2018, 04:55:31 pm »
Senate GOP split over food stamp work requirements

by Susan Ferrechio

August 17, 2018 12:00 AM

Senate Republicans are battling over whether a bill reauthorizing the nation’s food stamp program should boost work requirements for recipients.

The Senate-passed farm bill reauthorizes agriculture and nutrition assistance programs for five years. But the legislation does not include House-passed changes to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, otherwise known as food stamps, that would broaden work requirements and make it more difficult for states to waive them.

Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn, R-Texas, on Thursday called on negotiators working on a House-Senate compromise to include the work requirements in the final version, going against Senate Agriculture Committee Chairman Pat Roberts, R-Kansas.

“I think having the work provisions is really important,” Cornyn told reporters Thursday. “Able-bodied people, people who can’t work, can train, can do community service. People who can’t should be exempted from that. I think the House got that right.”

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/senate-gop-split-over-food-stamp-work-requirements
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Senate GOP split over food stamp work requirements
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 05:01:40 pm »
Cornyn is pushing this?  Knock me over with a feather!  He must be coming up for election again soon.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 05:02:22 pm »
   Also in the Senate Bill:

The Senate’s farm bill lowers the adjusted gross income threshold at which farmers are no longer eligible for farm subsidies to $700,000 from $900,000. In addition, it would increase funding for U.S. Department of Agriculture trade-promotion initiatives. Funding for trade programs is of heightened concern to farm groups as Trump threatens to impose new tariffs against major U.S. agricultural buyers such as Canada, Mexico and China.

The Senate bill also would boost acreage in the Conservation Reserve Program, the biggest USDA land-idling program, to 25 million acres from 24 million. The House bill raises the cap to 29 million. Under the program, farmers agree to halt production on environmentally sensitive land in exchange for an annual payment.

The proposal would also legalize hemp production by removing the marijuana relative from the federal list of controlled substances. That initiative is a pet project of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, whose state would be poised to become a leading grower of legal hemp.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-28/senate-passes-farm-bill-opening-fight-with-house-on-food-stamps
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 05:03:27 pm »
Cornyn is pushing this?  Knock me over with a feather!  He must be coming up for election again soon.

He's up to something.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:04:57 pm »
   Cornyn surprised me also @Bigun. If consuming Oil had any nutritional value he's be against this new work requirement.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 05:15:56 pm »
He's up to something.

Preemptive strike against any potential primary foes. No doubt he'll be breaking out his Stetson, cowboy boots, and jeans any time.   :rolling:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 05:19:19 pm »

My thoughts exactly.

Online corbe

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 05:21:03 pm »
   When the original bill was being debated in the Senate a couple of months ago.
An attempt by Republican Sens. Ted Cruz (Tex.), John Kennedy (La.) and Mike Lee (Utah) to add tougher food stamp language to the Senate version of the bill failed Thursday as 68 senators voted to table their amendment while only 30 supported it.

Posted for those among us that think Sen. Cruz hasn't done anything in the Senate. He's just one lonely voice among a circus of entertainers.   
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:21:50 pm by corbe »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 05:21:19 pm »
He's up to something.

That's for damned sure!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 05:24:21 pm »
   Posted for those among us that think Sen. Cruz hasn't done anything in the Senate. He's just one lonely voice among a circus of entertainers.

Gives you some idea as to how many conservatives there are in the Senate right now, doesn't it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 05:27:05 pm »
Gives you some idea as to how many conservatives there are in the Senate right now, doesn't it!

Absolutely.
We can count them on one hand.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 05:37:11 pm »

I was also amazed when I saw that Cornyn was pushing this.  So unlike him to push, well, anything.

But, whatever it is an excellent idea and if Cornyn is turning a bit conservative, that is a good thing.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 05:39:16 pm »
Absolutely.

And I'll give the rest of them one finger.  How convenient.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 05:40:10 pm »

Senator Cruz has been a great and needed asset in the Senate.  If he can gather a few more supporters there, it would be wonderful.

By the way, the Dallas Morning News insists on sending me two e-mails every day.  I despise that paper and a day doen't go by without the DMN taking a shot at Sen. Cruz and supporting Bezo.

Online corbe

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 05:49:11 pm »
   The only politician I have ever signed with and given money to was Ted Cruz's primary for US President.  After he dropped out of the race I started getting crap from GOP/Trump immediately and if that wasn't bad enough now Beto emails and TXT me everyday. 
   Seems everyone is selling your data more and more these days. 

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 05:54:47 pm »
   The only politician I have ever signed with and given money to was Ted Cruz's primary for US President.  After he dropped out of the race I started getting crap from GOP/Trump immediately and if that wasn't bad enough now Beto emails and TXT me everyday. 

That is exactly the same situation that I'm in.
Cruz was the only one I had ever donated to, and here came everyone else after he dropped out.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:57:30 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 05:56:43 pm »

The dems and media would LOVE to defeat Ted Cruz.  I don't think it will be close.  I think Cruz will win easily.  What do you think, @corbe ?

Online corbe

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 06:05:32 pm »
   I agree @Emjay, 8 months ago I was figuring he'd beat up on Beto about as bad as Abbott beat Davis in 2016 (20%), have since relanded on Earth and think 8 ~10 % is more realistic. He'll win, no doubt in my mind, Texas still doesn't elect demonrats to state wide office.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 06:08:12 pm »

Did you make your donation(s) directly to the Cruz campaign or through a third party? 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 06:31:21 pm »
Did you make your donation(s) directly to the Cruz campaign or through a third party? 

I assumed, wrongly, that www.tedcruz.org would not sell my data but of course I didn't read the disclaimer.

My 'X' claims she sent my info to Beto, but I think she's just being mean, again.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 06:36:03 pm »
   I assumed, wrongly, that www.tedcruz.org would not sell my data but of course I didn't read the disclaimer.

My 'X' claims she sent my info to Beto, but I think she's just being mean, again.

Hah!!!  Excellent revenge plan.  What are Beto's main talking points in the stuff he sends you?

Online corbe

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 06:39:35 pm »
Hah!!!  Excellent revenge plan.  What are Beto's main talking points in the stuff he sends you?

I'm really not sure @Emjay, his crap goes immediately to the delete pile.  If he was smart he'd use the same tactics that were so successfully used the last time Ted lost an election but I can't elaborate much further than that.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 07:15:35 pm »
Absolutely.

Why would any Republican/Conservative oppose this?  Centrist party.  Its all about carrying other people's families.  Forced to raise other people's children while they buy drugs and abuse their children.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.