Author Topic: Police use Taser on 87-year-old woman cutting dandelions with a knife  (Read 1310 times)

Offline endicom

CNN
Keith Allen
Aug. 16, 2018

Martha Al-Bishara, an 87-year-old grandmother, was tased by police after authorities said she refused to drop a knife. Al-Bishara's family said she was out cutting dandelions.

(CNN)An 87-year-old grandmother using a knife to cut dandelions in the woods near her rural Georgia home last week was taken down by a police Taser and arrested, according a police report.

Martha Al-Bishara was arrested for criminal trespass and obstruction of a police officer, according to the report. Chatsworth Police said Al-Bishara did not drop a steak knife despite several commands and a demonstration by officers. At one point, she walked toward officers with the knife, police said.

Police had gone to a wooded area near a Boys and Girls Club last Friday after an employee called 911 to report that an elderly woman was walking around with a knife in the community, around 80 miles north of Atlanta.

More... https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/us/georgia-police-taser-woman-dandelions-knife/index.html

The silence of the dandelambs.

Offline goodwithagun

Re: Police use Taser on 87-year-old woman cutting dandelions with a knife
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 12:25:25 am »
Police overreaction. Even worse: The family admits she has dimensia and doesn’t do anything to help/support her.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:06:30 am »
How is this police over reaction?  They told her to drop the knife several time and even demonstrated her putting the knife down.  How do you recommend handling someone who has a weapon... and will not put that weapon down?

Offline goodwithagun

Re: Police use Taser on 87-year-old woman cutting dandelion
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 02:18:30 am »
How is this police over reaction?  They told her to drop the knife several time and even demonstrated her putting the knife down.  How do you recommend handling someone who has a weapon... and will not put that weapon down?

She’s 87. Worst case scenario, you turn on General Hospital. Seriously, you can’t figure out how to subdue a nearly nonagenarian?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 02:20:56 am by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 02:36:02 am »
She could have been my Sicilian grandfather who took me to Cazenovia Park where he dug up dandelions on the green.

He took them home and cooked them as spinach-like, but spinier and more bitter.  Salt and vinegar more than makes up for it.

So maybe she didn't understand English, and it wasn't in her nature to hurt anyone.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 02:37:42 am »
Jeez.  Did any of those three keystone kops even t
bother to think how bad they were going to look  after they tazed an 87 y/o.
Besides the use of a tazer on people under 11 and over 80 is not recommended do to heath concerns that can lead to death.  Most police departments (outside of BFE departments like Chatsworth) have policies in force forbidding it. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 02:49:01 am »
Besides the use of a tazer on people under 11 and over 80 is not recommended do to heath concerns that can lead to death.  Most police departments (outside of BFE departments like Chatsworth) have policies in force forbidding it.

They usually follow procedure. Procedure follows the political winds.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 04:10:42 am »

She probably couldn't produce any ID that proved she was over 80.   *****rollingeyes*****

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 04:53:15 am »
She probably couldn't produce any ID that proved she was over 80.   *****rollingeyes*****

The walking farts should have been a dead give away.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 01:03:26 pm »
She’s 87. Worst case scenario, you turn on General Hospital. Seriously, you can’t figure out how to subdue a nearly nonagenarian?

How about a bean bag from a shotgun?
Or a K9 unit
or a bum rush from behind a plastic shield?
or go wading in with nightsticks swinging?
All four of those options are likely to cause greater injury than a taser.

I noticed you didn't answer the question so I will ask it again.  How would you subdue an old lady that did not put down a weapon when directed to do so?

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 01:52:53 pm »
How about a bean bag from a shotgun?
Or a K9 unit
or a bum rush from behind a plastic shield?
or go wading in with nightsticks swinging?
All four of those options are likely to cause greater injury than a taser.

I noticed you didn't answer the question so I will ask it again.  How would you subdue an old lady that did not put down a weapon when directed to do so?
[/quote

That’s been addressed already on the thread. Read through it then go lick some boots.
I stand with Roosgirl.