Author Topic: Another Prominent Anti-Trump Republican Just Went Down In Minnesota. Here's Why This Keeps Happening  (Read 22287 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

On Tuesday, former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty was rejected by Republican voters in his gubernatorial primary with Jeff Johnson, a commissioner from Hennepin County. The main cause of his defeat: failure to follow President Trump with enough alacrity.

Johnson cut an ad at the end of the campaign featuring Pawlenty criticizing Trump after tape broke of Trump in October 2016 talking about grabbing women by the genitals. "Tim Pawlenty stuck his finger in the wind," Johnson intoned. "I won’t panic when it matters most."

Pawlenty had called Trump "unsound, uninformed, unhinged, and unfit to be president of the United States" during the 2016 campaign. Pawlenty lamented, "The Republican Party has shifted. It is the era of Trump, and I’m just not a Trump-like politician."...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/34530/another-prominent-anti-trump-republican-just-went-ben-shapiro
The Republic is lost.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
He chose poorly.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
He chose poorly.

He didn't think Trump had a chance of winning and thought he would come out looking good.

Wrong on both counts.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline bilo

He didn't think Trump had a chance of winning and thought he would come out looking good.

Wrong on both counts.

I don't think that's why people were critical of Trump after the recording came out. It's more likely that they were disgusted by his comments along with how he acted during the primaries. I didn't vote for Trump because I didn't believe he had the character to actually do what he said he would do. I'm glad to say I was wrong about that, but I understand the reasoning for not supporting Trump after hearing a grown man talk about grabbing women by their private parts and being able to do whatever he wants.

Today the situation is different. Trump has shown he will try to do what he said he would do and even though he may be flawed in other ways he deserves our support because of the policies he pursues.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 05:19:27 pm by bilo »
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I don't think that's why people were critical of Trump after the recording came out. It's more likely that they were disgusted by his comments along with how he acted during the primaries. I didn't vote for Trump because I didn't believe he had the character to actually do what he said he would do. I'm glad to say I was wrong about that, but I understand the reasoning for not supporting Trump after hearing a grown man talk about grabbing women by their private parts and being able to do whatever he wants.

Today the situation is different. Trump has shown he will try to do what he said he would do and even though he may be flawed in other ways he deserves our support because of the policies he pursues.

You know what?  I think you're right on all counts because I was bitterly opposed to Trump in the primaries and I changed my opinion of him.

But for a Republican candidate to use that language prior to an election was not just poor taste, it was a death knoll.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline musiclady

For some of us the situation is not different.

The fact that Trump bragged about grabbing women’s genitals and now Republicans don’t care because he gets things done doesn’t make the party more attractive.

It just makes us not want to be Republicans.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline endicom

The fact that Trump bragged about grabbing women’s genitals...

He said that he could. He was commenting on the sort of women who are so attracted to celebrity.

Offline musiclady

He said that he could. He was commenting on the sort of women who are so attracted to celebrity.

And the kind of creep who takes advantage of them and brags about doing it just because he can.....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Suppressed

The fact that Trump bragged about grabbing women’s genitals and now Republicans don’t care because he gets things done doesn’t make the party more attractive.

That's why only half as many Republicans came out to vote than Democrats. Trump will help ensure the Dems hold that seat in November.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JRags

And the kind of creep who takes advantage of them and brags about doing it just because he can.....

You must really hate Bill Clinton then. He did much more than talk about abusing women.

Offline bilo

Okay, you can take the moral high ground but until Jesus returns all politicians will be flawed in some way. I'm not excusing Trump's past, but I am willing to recognize he is doing what he said he would do and I do agree with the policies.

Offline libertybele

Americans who disapprove of President Donald Trump are likely to do so not necessarily because of his policies, but because of his personality and character, a new poll says......

http://time.com/4857210/president-trump-poll-personality-policies/

Trump is proving to be an effective President in spite of all the fake news, false accusations and those within his own party trying to derail his agenda.  Interesting that it is becoming apparent that those politicians who have or are supporting his agenda are winning.

No, I don't like his character and anyone who brags about being able to grab women's female parts should be ashamed and not given a free pass. Molesting others is an offense.  With his rants, raves, tweets and 'bragging', he tarnished the campaign arena and made a mockery out of the electoral process.

Nonetheless, America voted for his agenda.  I look at it from the perspective that perhaps people were more sickened and disgusted by the past 8 years of B.O. that they wanted nothing to do with politicians and took a chance on an outsider, knowing he was far from prefect.

In spite of his past lack of character and morality, he has surprised me and I believe he has displayed patriotism and leadership; in addition he has appointed 1 conservative SCOTUS justice and hopefully Kavanaugh will prove to be a conservative as well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:14:45 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

Americans who disapprove of President Donald Trump are likely to do so not necessarily because of his policies, but because of his personality and character, a new poll says......

http://time.com/4857210/president-trump-poll-personality-policies/

Trump is proving to be an effective President in spite of all the fake news, false accusations and those within his own party trying to derail his agenda.  Interesting that it is becoming apparent that those politicians who have or are supporting his agenda are winning.

No, I don't like his character and anyone who brags about being able to grab women's female parts should be ashamed and not given a free pass. Molesting others is an offense.  With his rants, raves, tweets and 'bragging', he tarnished the campaign arena and made a mockery out of the electoral process.

Nonetheless, America voted for his agenda.  I look at it from the perspective that perhaps people were more sickened and disgusted by the past 8 years of B.O. that they wanted nothing to do with politicians and took a chance on an outsider, knowing he was far from prefect.

In spite of his past lack of character and morality, he has surprised me and I believe he has displayed patriotism and leadership; in addition he has appointed 1 conservative SCOTUS justice and hopefully Kavanaugh will prove to be a conservative as well.

I agree with all these comments.

In addition, Trump ran on issues. He was very honest about what he wanted to do; immigration reform and a wall, end obamacare, rebuild our military, get rid of bad trade deals, tax cuts and tax reform, appoint conservative judges. Trump has tried to deliver on all of these issues. It's the Pub party that has failed. I will take a flawed person any day who tries to keep the previously listed promises over a "gentleman" who doesn't.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Who cares.  You're not willing to help, so just go already.  Just go.

Online Right_in_Virginia

In addition, Trump ran on issues. He was very honest about what he wanted to do; immigration reform and a wall, end obamacare, rebuild our military, get rid of bad trade deals, tax cuts and tax reform, appoint conservative judges. Trump has tried to deliver on all of these issues. It's the Pub party that has failed. I will take a flawed person any day who tries to keep the previously listed promises over a "gentleman" who doesn't. 

888high58888

Online Right_in_Virginia

Still deliberately misquoting what was said.  How very honorable of you.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline musiclady

You must really hate Bill Clinton then. He did much more than talk about abusing women.

I do.

You’re very perceptive.

Offline musiclady

Okay, you can take the moral high ground but until Jesus returns all politicians will be flawed in some way. I'm not excusing Trump's past, but I am willing to recognize he is doing what he said he would do and I do agree with the policies.

I didn’t realize that continuing to believe in moral values was something to be derided.

Isn’t it funny how when ‘our guy’ does reprehensible things it somehow becomes no big deal.

For me it IS  big deal...... until Jesus returns and throughout eternity.

(Not my rules..... HIS rules).

Offline bilo

I didn’t realize that continuing to believe in moral values was something to be derided.

Isn’t it funny how when ‘our guy’ does reprehensible things it somehow becomes no big deal.

For me it IS  big deal...... until Jesus returns and throughout eternity.

(Not my rules..... HIS rules).

I'm sorry if you thought my saying "taking the moral high ground" was meant in a derisive manner. It wasn't. I supported Cruz because I thought he was a man of character. He lost. Trump is not gracious to those who attack him. He not only fights, but once his opponent is beaten he keeps beating them. He never quits. Trump is the POTUS and for all his rough edges he has a genuine love of country and those who defend it. From what I've seen he is the right man for the times. The old order of things does need to be changed and the "gentlemanly Pubs" have shown they're not the ones to do it.

I can see how the things he's said in the past are a big turn off, but from what I understand he's only talked crudely. All his relationships were consensual. I may not think much of a man who cheats on his wives but he does have other qualities that are admirable and he's the right guy for the times. I'll vote for him in 2020.

Offline JRags

I do.

You’re very perceptive.

Correct. And I certainly know bs when I see it

Offline endicom

Yup.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Correct. And I certainly know bs when I see it

Musiclady has the posts and history to prove it, you not so much.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I do.

You’re very perceptive.

Don't be intimidated by them.  Trump is sleazy and he has no intentions on keeping his promises.  He has latched himself to gang of 8 swamp creature Lindsey Graham who has plans to overhaul immigration policy after mid terms.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

He chose poorly.
What a shame Minnesota just loves them some Trump .  Trump's polling in the near 40's.  When will the GOP recognize how to win a state?